Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

we do not pass a hydrant on the way in. we always foward lay from a hydrant on fires. We leave one person at the hydrant. the hydrant man then makes the hydrant and then runs up the block to join the officer and nozzle man on the line. The 2nd in takes another hydrant from the opposite direction then lays in. They do not leave a man at the hydrant. The third due picks up the 2nds line and relay pumps up the block. This allows for big flows if needed. The first due acts as an engine. The 2nd due acts as a truck company. The thrid due pulls a back up line. The fourth due acts as RIT. The rescue preforms searches.

Since we have all quints in the city it is not practicle for us to reverse lay. Due to narrow streets and big trucks, usually the room is just not there to get two trucks to pass each other. The 2nd due quint (truck company) does not have to lay a line if that is the case the third in grabs a hydrant. usually the 2nd supply line might not get charged. it just depends on the fire.

in some cases the first arriving might not pass a hydrant. if that is the case they just call the 2nd to lay a line. or they have the option of doing a split lay. If the first arriving marks on scene with nothing visable then all units stage at a hydrant until told to lay in.

The only time I've layed 5" has been when training. We have some hydrants in our area but most of them are only around the Main Street area (where the old textile mill was). All of our engines are 1000 gallon which allows us to knock the fire down until a second unit gets there. We rarely drop a supply line for a residential because of how few they are in the area. We get automatic aid from a combination department on all structure fires and they are generally right behind us, if not on scene before us. If there is a hydrant close and we had the manpower, we would hit it.

The water company just upgraded most of the water lines in our town and installed new hydrants. Every hydrant we have now, works. The problem is, they are spaced so far apart we would have to drop 2000" to 3000" feet of hose to reach the fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool How I Do It.....

On my Truck Company, my Engineer is the Water Supply Officer. As we pull out of the Bay I ask him if he has the Hydrant or if he's gonna have the FFs pull the line. When we pull up I leave it up to him, since I have other things to do. He calls for the Size and if we're gonna "Catch" or "Wrap" the Hydrant. Most of the time we "Catch the Hydrant." Now, he and I have had in-depth conversations about this topic so he knows what I want for the size of fires.

Single-family dwelling with Single-room up to 2 room involvement then it's ok to go with 2 1/2", bigger than that then bring the "Big Water." Anything Commercial/Industrial automatically gets L.D.H. Defensive Ops =s L.D.H. High Hazard Occupants =s L.D.H. HazMat Standby or a call simular then use 2 1/2".

When I was an Engineer, my philosophy was always: Smoke showing..... Bring my own water, and bring it early; that way if there's some malfunction I have time to adapt, emprovise and overcome. Plus, doing it this way frees up that other Company.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

I would strongly encourage that your department have an SOP that addresses this.

With that said, mine does not have an SOP. However, it's understood that at our hydrants, we drop the line and a FF to make the connection and then charge the line when the engine is ready.

There are a lot of variables that we need to consider.

Our hydrants can be far from the fire if there even is a hydrant.
    We carry a lot of water on our engines 750-1000 gal each.
    Our number of FF's responding is pretty good on most calls.
    Daytime is a bit more of a staffing problem, so that needs to be considered.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

we ususally have the first due engine lay in ....based on conditions. Our "BIG CITY" neighbors that are a full time dept. have the second due lay in.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

The dept. I used to work for had a designated hydrant man on each rig. Though, the dept. i was on was also a paid dept. Still, at our oulying station, you might only have three men to a(n) engine/truck, engineer, officer, and firefighter. Usually, if we pulled up first on scene at one of these outlying stations we would go ahead and grab a hydrant and get it started, no since in taking a chance with your water, never know what could happen, the valve from the tank to the pump could malfunction while you're in there. ANyway,we would make sure though that we could get our truck comapny(s) in before it got blocked by any second due engine units. Even if we didn't use the aerial, we kept it to where we could use it if need be. Unless of course it was a single story structure that any extention ladder could easily handle. Anyway, it's alway better tobe safe than sorry. If you have four persons to a unit, then you have plenty to do what's needed upon arrival. Get your truck and tools set before ever thinking about making any kind of attack, especially interior. If you get into too big of a hurry, you just may find yourself making more problems than you need later on, like blocked access or water line failure with no instant backup. But, that's just my two cents. Just please, don't ever do what I've seen some dept.'s do, some have only an officer and driver manning the station, one drives the engine, the other the tanker or ladder (whichever they have). I have seen a lone firefighter pull up on seen, hook up a hydrant, put the engine into pump gear, put pressure on the line and enter the house before any other firefighter's showed up, completely unacceptable and insane if you ask me. And yes, this has happened more than once at the same dept.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 11-28-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Forum Member

Safety before operations.

That second due may never get there - breakdown, accident, etc.

Lay-in.

Thread Information