MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    I think you may be confusing federal funding with federal control. Weight and bridge formulas are set by each state, and 3 very different examples would be Illinois, Michigan, and here in Wisconsin. Enforcement is also done by the state.

I'm sure the feds have some limits on weight, speed, and dimension that would keep the states from going too crazy, ( since they provide a certain amount of money, the can call some shots ) but laws are different from state to state because each state makes their own rules.

Ever notice how the rules change on the interstate when you cross the state line? Same road, but different rules. For an example look up Wisconsin state statute chapter 348, " Vehicles - size, weight, and load." There may be many differences from your state.
    You're going in a circle already discussed above. Page back. In Iowa (and Mo and other states) the opinon of the feds has no relevance. I can run a FD100ft platform on Interstate or a dirt road. Exempt from all weight and dimensional restrictions otherwise dictated by fed/state DOT.

If I want the local airport to bring their P15 ARFF to the gas tanker rollover on I80. No problem, DOT has no relevance. If I want to take my new 3000gal CAFS tanker pumper (46000lb rr) to anywhere in the state, DOT has no relevance . No problem. If I want to take my 80000lb 6x6 M911 tanker across the state on a mutual aid wildland call. No problem, DOT has no relevance. Same conditions as always, assess the terrain and conditons to determine if appropriate (and routing).

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    You're going in a circle already discussed above. Page back. In Iowa (and Mo and other states) the opinon of the feds has no relevance. I can run a FD100ft platform on Interstate or a dirt road. Exempt from all weight and dimensional restrictions otherwise dictated by fed/state DOT.

If I want the local airport to bring their P15 ARFF to the gas tanker rollover on I80. No problem, DOT has no relevance. If I want to take my new 3000gal CAFS tanker pumper (46000lb rr) to anywhere in the state, DOT has no relevance . No problem. If I want to take my 80000lb 6x6 M911 tanker across the state on a mutual aid wildland call. No problem, DOT has no relevance. Same conditions as always, assess the terrain and conditons to determine if appropriate (and routing).
    Correct. That was the point. This was a reply to a specific post. The other gentleman was trying to say the feds wrote the rules and there was not an exemption, my point was that the states wrote the rules. And in your state, as well as all others around and including my state of Wisconsin, the state exempts fire apparatus from size and weight.

Our only restrictions are common sense. Please do not drive the 73,000lb truck over the little 5 ton bridge. Just like you said, assess terrain and conditions, alternate routes, and then determine if appropriate.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Thread Information