Thread: questions on oral board???????
10-06-2009, 11:00 AM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2007
questions on oral board???????
How is this phase of hiring evaluated? What are some of the questions they ask? How do I prepare?
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM #2
- Join Date
- Aug 2002
- San Francisco Bay Area
Sample Thirty Plus Oral Board Questions
The firefighter job oral board interview is like no other. Itís usually 100% of your score to get hired. Youíre looking for a seamless no surprises interview one question after another. Just stumbling on a couple of questions or a question you have never heard before could affect your score enough to keep you from going forward in the hiring process. You donít want to waste any opportunities in this current economy.
I believe there are only about 30 oral board questions. Plus or minus a couple. But these 30 can be disguised into hundreds of different questions. Itís your job to take off the disguise and find the real question and have a ďNuggetĒ answer practiced with a hand-held voice recorder to satisfy the oral board, get your best score on the answer and cause the board to go onto the next question.
1. Tell us about yourself.
2. Why do you want to be a firefighter? When did you decide on this career?
3. What is the job of a firefighter? Are you qualified?
4. What have you done to prepare for this position?
5. What are you bringing to the job?
6. Why do you want to work for this city or agency?
7. What do you know about his city or agency?
8. What do you like to do? What are your hobbies?
9. What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
10. What would your employer say about you?
11. What are the attributes of a firefighter? What is the most important one
How Would You Handle the Following Scenarios:
12. Drinking or drugs on the job? 13. Stealing on the job? 14. Conflict with
15. Irate citizen? 16. An employee crisis at an emergency? 17. Sexual harassment?
18. Racial situation? 19. Conflicting orders at an emergency? 20. An order that could place you in great danger or be morally wrong?
21. What do you say when you donít know an answer to a question?
22. Are you on any other hiring lists? What would you do if another city
23. When can you start if we offered you the job?
24. How far do you want to go in the fire service? Where do you see
yourself in 5 years?
25. What are the quality traits of a firefighter? Which one is the most important to you?
26. Have you ever been in an emergency situation? Tell us what you did?
27. What word would best describe you in a positive way? A negative way?
28. How do you handle conflict?
29. Why would we select you over the other candidates?
30. Do you have anything to add?_____________________________________________
"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"
Fire "Captain Bob"
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By ptgrace in forum Career AdvancementReplies: 6Last Post: 07-23-2007, 09:32 AM
By ptgrace in forum Testing & FitnessReplies: 0Last Post: 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM
By kghemtp in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 4Last Post: 10-24-2004, 03:51 PM
By DoubleDown in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 2Last Post: 09-04-2001, 07:55 AM