Forum Member

Default Should i give up all hope for 2009 AFG?

Ok here is the deal... apparently my FD over spent FEMA $$ on a 2002 grant.... it has never been closed out (i figure thats why i haven't got any of my grants for the last 2 years) we have just now fought through the red tape and jumped through the hoops to get the old grant app opened up so i could update the INCORRECT closeout form... we will be sending the check off certified mail first thing in the morning... my question is will the computer have kicked us out of the running already for a 2009 grant???

Forum Member

How exactly did you over spend and why?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sidizzle1129 View Post
    Ok here is the deal... apparently my FD over spent FEMA $$ on a 2002 grant.... it has never been closed out (i figure thats why i haven't got any of my grants for the last 2 years) we have just now fought through the red tape and jumped through the hoops to get the old grant app opened up so i could update the INCORRECT closeout form... we will be sending the check off certified mail first thing in the morning... my question is will the computer have kicked us out of the running already for a 2009 grant???
    No, the computer doesn't handle that part. They would have attempted to make contact with whoever was on the contact list (mainly the Profile) for the 2002 to tell them to close it out. If email addresses and whatnot were changed then they're not going to hunt for too long. So tech review would have dumped you guys out if you were in the running. If the contact info is up to date from 2002 to now on then you've probably just never been in the running for them to bother contacting you about it. If you're inline for the 2009 then the proper closeout and check will take care of the issue.

Forum Member

Tell me they didn't require the whole award to be returned?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Sounds familiar

After I took over our grant program I could not find out why i could not get a grant, them at a grant training session i was informed about going back and looking for old grants that were not closed out, OPPS! Well it is all now done and closed but what a headahce! Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

I also helped another department with grants and found out a grant from 2004 was not closed out. The fema person told us that it will not affect your ability to get another grant. They only want what money was owed to them for over spending with out intrest. Go figure that a gov agency not asking for intrest on over due money!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    How exactly did you over spend and why?
    You know, I too would like at least an example of this to better understand the 'over spend' being referred to here. It may sound dumb, but will not be the first time that one Fed representative has said one thing and another has said the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is why I always say to back up all conversations with FPS etc. with a confirming email so you can point the finger back at them. What probably happened is they had left over money and spent all of the Federal share without putting in whatever their cost share was.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

We have always spent our portion of the match on the first item purchased, and that has saved us a lot of headaches on keeping track of the money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    That is why I always say to back up all conversations with FPS etc. with a confirming email so you can point the finger back at them. What probably happened is they had left over money and spent all of the Federal share without putting in whatever their cost share was.
    OK Kurt. Give us the gift we want. Tell us what you have heard about when the first 1199's will be out. You know. The 'Skinny'.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    I also helped another department with grants and found out a grant from 2004 was not closed out. The fema person told us that it will not affect your ability to get another grant. They only want what money was owed to them for over spending with out intrest. Go figure that a gov agency not asking for intrest on over due money!!
    Failing to close out a grant will not prevent a department to go through the process to recieve another grant, but it can be withheld for failing to complete the report.

Our FPS has been very up front about this. Failure to complete, especially after repeated attempts to the department to get it done, will result in the loss of a potential award. It has been done.

Has this department ever been notified that they were delinquent on their report?

MembersZone Subscriber

Onebugle, I looked back at emails on fema web site and there was nothing sent to us. It was an 2004 grant awarded late in 2005 and then an amendment which went into 2006. I know the semi report was done. My new chief contacted them early in 2009 and finished the final report.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Onebugle, I looked back at emails on fema web site and there was nothing sent to us. It was an 2004 grant awarded late in 2005 and then an amendment which went into 2006. I know the semi report was done. My new chief contacted them early in 2009 and finished the final report.
    They would have gone to the profile contact directly, on top of phone calls. They only show up in the online app if they send them through that interface.

MembersZone Subscriber

BC79er, the two past chiefs that this went thru used the general e mail address and phone # for the dept and one of the ex chiefs would of said something to me when I asked him about it because he is one of my employees. So assuming that they didn't lie to me the dept never got contacted.

Forum Member

i have everything done and ready to update the closeout form but they will not be up till early November says fema... im not sure on the details of our overspending or under but we were notifyed last year and it was blown off and never was brought up to me... then i had it on the agenda for the last meeting... and "ohhhh yeah i forgot about that"... but i think we didnt spend enough on the PPE we got... have the statements from firemaster and it comes up to $392 short of what we were awarded and thats what they are wanting a check for... just laziness from the prior and current administration on our department... but we are in for more PPE and a Pumper that for once is younger than i am and i feel we have a very good chance at them both i just how this doesnt screw all of my hard work and make all the stress ulcers for nothing!!!
    thanks everyone for your input any more advice / help is welcome you can email me at rico19891129@gmail.com or call my department phone at 417-322-9883

MembersZone Subscriber

BC79er, the two past chiefs that this went thru used the general e mail address and phone # for the dept and one of the ex chiefs would of said something to me when I asked him about it because he is one of my employees. So assuming that they didn't lie to me the dept never got contacted.
    And as always... some people slip through the cracks occasionally.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Angry

still waiting on the closeout mod to come back up the end of this month... doesn't look like we will be on the first rounds... and hope not to be in the first round of the DJ letters! Any ideas when the DJs will be out so i can mentally prepare? ha ha

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sidizzle1129 View Post
    still waiting on the closeout mod to come back up the end of this month... doesn't look like we will be on the first rounds... and hope not to be in the first round of the DJ letters! Any ideas when the DJs will be out so i can mentally prepare? ha ha
    I think first round of DJs wilbe in late November if they start awarding in early November. Remains to be seen.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information