Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 121 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2171111118119120121122123124131171221 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 4759
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Last one to post wins

Plus too, use proper syntax when you are formatting a response.

IF you do get on a department and have to fill out reports, they may get thrown back at you, for improper grammar and spelling!

I know you are trying and some of the teachers they have instructing aren't as good as they were when a lot of us went to school.

If we messed up we had a Nun to whack us with a ruler or attendance book!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Almond cookies and honey oat bread are in the making...

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I guess you aren't big enough to mount over the fireplace yet.

Spelling List for Friday:

finally
    about
    running

For extra credit, use each word in a sentence.

Next week's assignment will cover run-on sentences.
    PK- You brought a smile to my face with that one. That is too funny.

I have to feel sorry for today's kids. They are not tasked to perform as many of us were in our day.

I didn't have a nun to contend with, my dad was my biggest fear.

He dropped out of school during WW2 and went to France. After he returned he put himslef through college, the hard way. He used his GI to buy his first house in 1955, the year I came around.

He drummed it into my head that you are judged by three things, the company you keep, the words you use and the actions you perform.

I failed miserably at the first one... look where I spend my time. But I must do my part to cause catastophic events around here.

But seriously, todays kids should have much more of an advantage than many of us due to computers and the information age. But very few are driven to be the best they can be. Part of this is our own fault. We keep making the same mistakes and putting the same people in charge of our schools and government. We tend to look at the public school system as a free baby-sitter. Well it isn't free... we just don't feel it because we are conditioned.

So tweedledee...

Pardon me, I mean notfruitybutloopy, take this advice and heed my words.

The school is letting you down, but that isn't as big of crime as the one you're guilty of. You are letting yourself down. There is no excuse for simply stating, "I suck at this."

You are the only one that can change it, and you are the only one that cares how good you can be. One day, you will be judged much harsher than of us have so far done to you.... (you sniveling little juvie).

You will work a job perhaps, and your ability to earn a decent wage will be based directly on who you are, the skills you possess, and how you use the tools in your toolbox. One of the most important tools you can have, is knowledge.

Never settle, never give up, never accept 2nd best. If you do, you will be just like 300 million other Joes out there. Do yourself a favor and be the best you can be.

Besides... I grow tired of picking on you all the time. Surprise me and give me your spelling list, without errors, and use each word properly in a sentence. Then let's work on the run-on sentence thing.

Now drop and give me 50!
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

I have to feel sorry for today's kids. They are not tasked to perform as many of us were in our day.

I didn't have a nun to contend with, my dad was my biggest fear.

He dropped out of school during WW2 and went to France. After he returned he put himslef through college, the hard way. He used his GI to buy his first house in 1955, the year I came around.

He drummed it into my head that you are judged by three things, the company you keep, the words you use and the actions you perform.

I failed miserably at the first one... look where I spend my time. But I must do my part to cause catastophic events around here.

But seriously, todays kids should have much more of an advantage than many of us due to computers and the information age. But very few are driven to be the best they can be. Part of this is our own fault. We keep making the same mistakes and putting the same people in charge of our schools and government. We tend to look at the public school system as a free baby-sitter. Well it isn't free... we just don't feel it because we are conditioned.

So tweedledee...

Pardon me, I mean notfruitybutloopy, take this advice and heed my words.

The school is letting you down, but that isn't as big of crime as the one you're guilty of. You are letting yourself down. There is no excuse for simply stating, "I suck at this."

You are the only one that can change it, and you are the only one that cares how good you can be. One day, you will be judged much harsher than of us have so far done to you.... (you sniveling little juvie).

You will work a job perhaps, and your ability to earn a decent wage will be based directly on who you are, the skills you possess, and how you use the tools in your toolbox. One of the most important tools you can have, is knowledge.

Never settle, never give up, never accept 2nd best. If you do, you will be just like 300 million other Joes out there. Do yourself a favor and be the best you can be.

Besides... I grow tired of picking on you all the time. Surprise me and give me your spelling list, without errors, and use each word properly in a sentence. Then let's work on the run-on sentence thing.

Now drop and give me 50!

Very well said! I bet you, like I, walked to school every day, through rain, sleet, snow, wind, sun, made no difference, we walked to and from!

That is why we are so good and tough, able to stand alone to go to the bathroom without anyone showing us or holding our hand.

Having put 6 years in the military, also helps one, get their collective self together. No one there is leading you by the hand or hand feeding you.

You learn fast if not you don't survive too long. You can't run home to mommy when things get tight and rough!

Quote Originally Posted by notfruitybutloopy View Post
    I love walking to school, and when the days get longer you can just see the sun peaking over the trees and houses. Also it's something new every day, I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owl, or a hawk. I'll see if later in the year I can get some pictures.
    I am impressed!

Only 1 run-on sentence and zero mispelled words.

Even the sentence structure is vastly improved.

That sounded so peaceful and enjoyable.

See what happens when you put some effort into it?

Now walk back to school and learn some more. I don't have time to tutor today.

One more thing. Where is your homework assignment young man?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Very well said! I bet you, like I, walked to school every day, through rain, sleet, snow, wind, sun, made no difference, we walked to and from!

That is why we are so good and tough, able to stand alone to go to the bathroom without anyone showing us or holding our hand.

Having put 6 years in the military, also helps one, get their collective self together. No one there is leading you by the hand or hand feeding you.

You learn fast if not you don't survive too long. You can't run home to mommy when things get tight and rough!
    Capt, you are correct sir. I walked my butt off going to school and back home everyday. It was uphill both ways on those damn railroad tracks.

I took desert survival training back in the good old days. They dropped us off and told us we had two options, walk out or wait for a pickup in four days. It was up to us to survive. When the first guy cried for momma, I decided I was walking out. I was back at the camp in about 40 hours. It is amazing how much edible stuff you can find when you're out on a stroll.

You heard this one of course: "You're momma wears army boots." My momma actually did wear army boots. I always told those guys that "she makes a living out of thumpin' other momma's for having a little turd like you."

She could 'whoop' my brother and I and make us feel like we'd be better for it. She'd tell us "This is for your own good" and we believed it.

I miss momma... she was so cool back in those days.

Schools out! Its now the weekend and I'm in the lead.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by notfruitybutloopy View Post
    Which one was the run on?

Anyways I digress, homework? :P We have "Study Block" an hour of sit and do the little homework I get. (Most of my classes are computerized now...)

Also, mispelled????
    Yep, you got me... "misspelled".

This one:

Also it's something new every day, I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owl, or a hawk.

Two distinct thoughts, that could be relational if separated by ";" (semicolon).

Also it's something new every day; I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owl, or a hawk.

Or as two sentences:

Also it's something new every day. I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owl, or a hawk.

The word "it's" means "it is". Consider using: "Also, there is something new everyday..." The word "it" is too subjective in this case because you haven't defined "it" previously.

Another issue... you must treat the noun "owl" as plural because of the word "some"; (owls)

You could have treated owl in the singular if you had written "an owl", much like you wrote "a hawk".

It is a good idea to use singular or plural within a single sentence, but not both in the same in a case like this. The noun "deer", can be used singular or plural, without confusion.

But if you wrote:

I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owls, or hawks.

...you could simply delete the word "some" and it would also read correctly.

I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see deer, owls, or hawks.

This troubles me:

We have "Study Block" an hour of sit and do the little homework I get.

Consider changing this to:

I have "Study Block" for an hour and use the time to complete my homework.

But you are getting the hang of it.

Good catch, by the way. I sometimes do let one slip by.

I have punished myself so I can learn from my mistake.

I misspelled a word, but it will not happen again.

This is much easier on a computer. Back in the old days, we had to write it in longhand.

Now, where is that homework? (spelling list with the sentences)

Bull, you were in the lead. (past tense) I hope you enjoyed while it lasted those few moments, my friend.

Thank you, I did enjoy being in the lead. How about you?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Well done PK, very well done. But, while you're tutoring our impressionable young one, I've taken the lead.

Looks like you'll be in the rear for awhile.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Brother Don't you have a truck or two to work on? Don't worry I'll hold down the fort!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Bull, FM1, & PK- Competitive lot of lads aren't you?

While you are comtemplating who should lead the pack, I will browse my new cookbook and decide which new brownie recipe I should try.

Orange Walnut Chocolate Chip Blondies perhaps?

Or maybe some Expresso Chocolate Chunk Brownies?

Or Rum Raisin Bars?

your thoughts lads?

Quote Originally Posted by cheffie View Post

While you are comtemplating who should lead the pack, I will browse my new cookbook and decide which new brownie recipe I should try.

Or Rum Raisin Bars?

your thoughts lads?

OH wow, she is going to bake! I am for anything that you fix as I know you always put your heart into it and it is very good too.

I can't wait for them to bake and cool!!

[QUOTE=cheffie;1208262]

[QUOTE]

Don't know about what the lads want but that one sounds interesting.

[QUOTE=firecat1;1208273][QUOTE=cheffie;1208262]

Don't know about what the lads want but that one sounds interesting.

That sounds yummy to me. Can I stand in line for some??

Exclamation

Yep, you got me... "misspelled".

This one:

Also it's something new every day, I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owl, or a hawk.

Two distinct thoughts, that could be relational if separated by ";" (semicolon).

Also it's something new every day; I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owl, or a hawk.

Or as two sentences:

Also it's something new every day. I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owl, or a hawk.

The word "it's" means "it is". Consider using: "Also, there is something new everyday..." The word "it" is too subjective in this case because you haven't defined "it" previously.

Another issue... you must treat the noun "owl" as plural because of the word "some"; (owls)

You could have treated owl in the singular if you had written "an owl", much like you wrote "a hawk".

It is a good idea to use singular or plural within a single sentence, but not both in the same in a case like this. The noun "deer", can be used singular or plural, without confusion.

But if you wrote:

I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see some deer, owls, or hawks.

...you could simply delete the word "some" and it would also read correctly.

I don't mind walking to school with frozen shoes to see deer, owls, or hawks.

This troubles me:

We have "Study Block" an hour of sit and do the little homework I get.

Consider changing this to:

I have "Study Block" for an hour and use the time to complete my homework.

But you are getting the hang of it.

Good catch, by the way. I sometimes do let one slip by.

I have punished myself so I can learn from my mistake.

This is much easier on a computer. Back in the old days, we had to write it in longhand.

Now, where is that homework? (spelling list with the sentences)

Bull, you were in the lead. (past tense) I hope you enjoyed while it lasted those few moments, my friend.

Good man, but, I think that you may be wasting your time with him, not saying about his. He has his mind somewhere else and not on the correct buisness herein.

There is always a chance too!

Quote Originally Posted by cheffie

Or Rum Raisin Bars?

your thoughts lads?
    I'm not sure about the other guys, but I'd think they would agree....

The first one on Monday, the second on Tuesday, and the third on Wednesday. All of them sound yummy.

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Quote Originally Posted by cheffie View Post

Or Rum Raisin Bars?

your thoughts lads?
    Mam, what ever you cook/bake I'll be more than happy to eat. Just call me quality control. Inspector 7!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

While Bull is checking for quality control (like yeah, that's needed), I'll slip into the lead.

FM1

Thread Information