Forum Member

Default Raised roof on rear mounts?

Lately, I'm seeing alot of rear mount aerials with raised roofs on the cabs. I'm not really getting the point. Most have been notched in the center so the ladder can be bedded properly, so all that is gained is a small section of head room on each side of the laddder. Not to mention that the taller the cab is the more it likely it is to get in the way of low elevation operations anyway. Does anyone run one of these raised roof trucks and really see it as an advantage over a flat roof?

Forum Member

You know...I've wondered about that for the longest time!

Forum Member

Makes a big difference in entering/exiting the truck. Guys have room to stand, then exit. They have room to enter, stand, turn and sit.

Is it necessary? No. But it has no down side. Really has 0 issue with low level operations and that raised area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bones42; 10-07-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Post Raised Truck cabs

So is this a 4 person Truck Co? My dept has an E One straight stick with a flat cab. I am 6'2 in height, don't have that much of an issue getting in/out of the rear crew area with a pack on even. We have seating for 4 FF in the rear (all are SCBA seats).

Be safe all and wear those seatbelts!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Is it necessary? No. But it has no down side.
    It has to cost more? I know Spartan was offering free 10" raised roofs when we were speccing our Toyne. Of course none of it is free, it merely means one group has paid more than they needed to.

Forum Member

You have me there, it probably does add some cost.

Seating in the truck above is for 6 in the back. And yes, the 2 center seats have the lower roof and it's noticeable.

The actual seat count is 5 as 1 of the 6 was removed to put irons/water can in it's place. 4 of the remaining 5 are SCBA seats.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I'm currently assigned to a truck company that has a split raised roof. I like it because I can stand in the doorway and check the equipment off in the morning and when I rode tailboard, I would ride in the flip down seat rather than the center seats because of the head room. Is it a needed? Nope. Is it nice? Yep. It doesn't hamper any low angle operations, mainly due to apparatus positioning on scene.

Forum Member

I could be wrong, but I think there are one or two mfgs that offer the "split" roof as a way to "tuck" the ladder itself to get a lower travel heigth too.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think there are one or two mfgs that offer the "split" roof as a way to "tuck" the ladder itself to get a lower travel heigth too.
    Pierce, E1, and Ferrara I know for sure are doing it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RareRamAir View Post
    Pierce, E1, and Ferrara I know for sure are doing it.
    E-One does not do the raised split roof. They don't them due to the fact of how wide the base section of there aerials are. I believe E-One is the only complany that offers an aerial device that does not offer the raised/split roof option.

MembersZone Subscriber

When Simon Duplex did this on a lot of their rigs when they were in buisness, very nice to have.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ecfr1978 View Post
    E-One does not do the raised split roof. They don't them due to the fact of how wide the base section of there aerials are. I believe E-One is the only complany that offers an aerial device that does not offer the raised/split roof option.
    I guess the correct way of putting it would have been to say "They do now". They call it a Low Profile cab, or something of that sorts. It's a modified Cyclone 2 cab.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    I guess the correct way of putting it would have been to say "They do now". They call it a Low Profile cab, or something of that sorts. It's a modified Cyclone 2 cab.
    How long has this been an option? We just finished specing 4 new aerials, and we were specificly told that E-One does not offer raised roofs on aerials. This has been in the last 1 1/2 months.

Forum Member

maybe its only on the smaller 75 or 78 foot aerials. I do agree the width of the base section on the 110 makes it kind of useless, but I've never really seen much of a problem with the flat roof.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ecfr1978 View Post
    How long has this been an option? We just finished specing 4 new aerials, and we were specificly told that E-One does not offer raised roofs on aerials. This has been in the last 1 1/2 months.
    Maybe I misunderstood him, but as I took it he was talking about a standard height cab with a notch for the ladder pipe. Not a raised roof. Let me see if I can track down a pic.

http://www.antiquefirebrigade.com/FDIC0756.JPG

If you look just above the center 3 marker lights you can just make out a small notch in the center of the cab. That's what I thought he was talking about.
    Last edited by RareRamAir; 10-11-2009 at 12:52 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Much of what I have seen has more to do with the cab head room than anything, the cab floors are higher causing a reduction in head room. We did an ALF/LTI a few years ago with a flat roof that offers plenty of head room, we looked at otherbrands with the same OAH and they had significantly less headroom due to the cab floor height.

Thread Information