Thread: New Ford Diesel

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Ford Diesel

New Light & Medium Truck has 1st info I've seen on the new Ford Diesel (post Navistar).

Ford Motor Co. unveiled the next generation Power Stroke diesel engine, a Fordbuilt. diesel that will be the core power in the company's next-generation Super Duty truck line.

The 6.7-liter V-8 will replace the current 6.0-liter V-8 diesel supplied by Navistar International. Ford's contract to buy Navistar's engines ends Dec. 31, part of the agreement between the longtime partners to settle their much-publicized feud over warranties and problems with recent engine versions.. The companies first teamed, up with the diesel arrangement in 1982.

The engine will be used "beginning with model-year 2011 Super Duty trucks, scheduled for introduction in early 2010. The units should begin showing up on dealer lots in late spring, company officials said in a September conference call.

The new Power Stroke - Ford retained the rights to the name - has several new and unique features.

The block will be made with compacted graphite iron - the first use of CGI in this vehicle class in North America, said Adam Gryglak, lead engi¬neering manager. CGI will make the block lighter but stronger than standard cast¬ iron blocks, he said.

Overall, the engine is 160 pounds lighter than the current V-8.

In another weight-saving measure, the cylinder heads are aluminum.

Ford Motor Co's new 6. Niter Power Stroke diesel features a compacted graphite iron block and a single-sequential turbo.

Ford said the inboard location of the exhaust manifolds on its new Super Duty diesel cuts exhaust volume by about 50%.

The layout of the exhaust pipes has been switched so the exhaust manifolds are positioned inboard, at the top of the V near the turbocharger, and the intake is outboard - another unique arrangement for production diesel engines, Ford said.

The changes reduce the total exhaust volume by about 50%, reduce the total pipe surface area, improve turbocharger response, make for a quieter engine and provide better cooling, Gryglak said.

Honeywell's single-sequential turbo, another first, Ford said, has two compressor wheels driven off one turbine impeller. The design delivers the benefits of a twin-turbo in a smaller package, the company said. The turbo sits on a pedestal between the V of the engine block.

The Bosch high-pressure, common-rail fuel injection system injects fuel at up to 30,000 psi and will deliver as many as five injection events per cylinder per cycle using piezo injectors.

The new components also will reduce maintenance time, executives said. Repair times for the turbo, for example, are 4 ½ hours less, compared with the current engine.

The engine will use a selective catalytic reduction system to meet 2010 diesel emission regulations. SCR adds a catalytic converter to the exhaust system and requires the periodic dosing of urea, commonly called diesel exhaust fluid, into the canister to function. DEF has to be replaced periodically.

Company officials did not say how large a DEF canister the engine would use but said the DEF would last about 7,500 miles, or normal oil change intervals.
    Officials also did not announce prices. The engine will be built at Ford's Chihuahua, Mexico, engine plant. - Jim Galligan

From Light & Medium Truck Magazine Oct 2009

If they had only gone with IH and ERG. The SCR is going to be bad news. Article has a couple illustrations I'll try to scan/post.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by neiowa; 10-07-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: add photo scans

Forum Member

Drool factor of 10! Thanks for posting

Forum Member

An October 2009 mag is about 3-4 months outdated.

This is what is really going on, and they are using EGR (not ERG) only on one bank of the system. So you will have both an EGR system and an urea system on it. It will also have 2 cooling systems on it. As well, the motor is called the "Scorpion".

Read the link for more "accurate" information. The only thing missing is the power levels. As it stands right now, it is about 385-400 HP and aprx 725 pounds per feet of torque.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08...el-engine.html

What concerns me, is the fact that they are being built in Mexico. As well, the price increase will be about $7,000 for the Scorpion.

Drool factor= 5.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh goody, another new Ford motor to Beta test! Drool Factor: -.5

Forum Member

If this one works as well as the Brazilian 7.8 it will be a good motor.Time will tell. T.c.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool ford 6.7 engine

Great article FIREMECH1,

Liked:
    Four valves per cylinder and 6 head bolts per cylinder
    Outside the box thinking and design and latest European diesel
    technology.

Concerns:
    Outside the box solutions, will they be durable? Aluminum heads,
    cast aluminum pistons vs. forged pistons. Thin wall engine block,
    potential for bad castings. Built in Mexico instead of the legendary
    Cleveland engine plant.
    Did they do all the same testing on previous engine offerings. If so,
    watch out, because they didn't catch a lot of problems!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Great article FIREMECH1,

Built in Mexico instead of the legendary Cleveland engine plant.
    Anyone remember Ross Perot's "big sucking sound?"

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    If this one works as well as the Brazilian 7.8 it will be a good motor.Time will tell. T.c.
    We have one of these in a 91 Ford CL cabover engine that has been perfect with zero problems. lots of power and torque.
    The german made 5 speed transmission behind it has had some issues though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Great article FIREMECH1,

Did they do all the same testing on previous engine offerings. If so,
    watch out, because they didn't catch a lot of problems!
    You have to remember that the last 4 midrange diesels in Ford chassis have all been from International hayrake company.
    The 6.9, 7.3 , 6.0 & 6.4 have all been designed and manufactured by IH/Navistar. Of these only the 7.3 was a problem free power house. Very common to put several hundred thousand miles on them without major repairs. A few injector pump issues early on , but they were fixed.
    The 6.4 is showing pretty well so far, just not enough miles on them to really know if they will last.

Forum Member

The latest Truck Trend Magazine, has an article on it plus the 2011 Ford Super Duty Pickup (F-250, 350, 450). Looks like a good read for some informtion on it.

Forum Member

I hope it's better than the six point oh no. We dumped ours after it left us stranded with a patient in the back the second time. Our B-series CTD just purrs along with about 60K on the odo.

Forum Member

gm had something similar in the works ... bu it got scrapped alonge with every other good thing gm was working on.
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Default What about the E series?

Does anyone know if Ford will offer their new engine in the E series cut-a-way for ambulance use. We are thinking of buying two of the current chassis along with two ambulances just to get through another year. Anyone have the inside on this.

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pete892 View Post
    Does anyone know if Ford will offer their new engine in the E series cut-a-way for ambulance use. We are thinking of buying two of the current chassis along with two ambulances just to get through another year. Anyone have the inside on this.

Pete
    According to my ambulance sales rep , Ford intends to make their new diesel fit into the E-series van & cutaway chassis. They tried to figure a way to get the 6.4 into it but not enough room with all the added coolers. They will probably have to lengthen the nose a little to make it work .

We probably won't see the new diesel in the E-series until 2011 model year

Forum Member

Scorpion is the prototype/code/SEMA show name. Powerstroke is being retained and used on the 6.7L as it is a Ford Trademark...not Navistars.

Just go here and watch videos of how they developed it and what they've done to test durability.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011Superduty/

There are several good videos. They all play in sequence.

It appears they are serious about reliability and have control over it. It will have a Diesel Exhaust Fluid fill port right next to the Diesel Fuel fill cap. Cummins 6.7L engine on the other hand will not require DEF fluid to meet 2010 emissions, unlike Ford and GM.

There are some good photos here too:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...werstroke.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fpvfd502; 10-23-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

Diesel Exhaust Fluid...........????????? It that something like the air plane key I was told to find when I was a Airman Basic in the USAF?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathValleyCap View Post
    Diesel Exhaust Fluid...........????????? It that something like the air plane key I was told to find when I was a Airman Basic in the USAF?
    Was once, not any more. Thank heavens for left handed smoke shifters, relative bearing grease, mail buoys and snipe hunts.

Forum Member

Read it and weep guys. We're in for another round of emissions costs to add to the already high price of a diesel engines.

http://www.factsaboutscr.com/def/default.aspx

Besides the cost to the chassis the buyer will also have to purchase the pre-mixed fluid and replace it like washer fluid as it is used. It's a mixture of 35% urea and 65% water but don't try to fool the system and fill the tank with just water. There will be a sensor in the tank and if you try to fill it with just water the engine will not start.

I don't know about other manufacturers but Isuzu's system will have a low fluid warning light and chimes when the 7.6 gallon tank gets low. You will have 3 starts at that point and if still not replentished the chimes get louder and the light gets red. If you don't fill it after the next three starts it won't start at all.
    Last edited by dragonfyre; 10-23-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

I'm glad our new Rescue/Engine is being built and has a delivery date of Dec 09. What will they think of next, the d@&m computer is already too complicated for an emergency vehicle that is expected to preform under the worst conditions.

Forum Member

International (with help from Caterpillar) engines will not use diesel exhaust fluid. They will be using 'advanced' EGR and engine control to meet the emission requirements. Other folks feel that the "urea" fluid is the way to go to simply treat the exhaust gasses.

But don't run out! The EPA will mandate the engines go to idle and/or shut down. Supposedly Ford is saying their urea fluid tank will last 10,000 miles. But they are not saying how big the tank is to refill. Its probably 30 gallons and you lose the dual tank.

Just one more item to have to buy besides diesel and additives most use in fuel these days for fuel lubricity.
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

And like everything else those Dipschits in Washington MANDATE,they are NOWHERE near ready in the distribution facilities for cow wiz.Surrounded by IDIOTS we are. T.C,.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, but it makes them look good on paper. I curious if the new exhaust system will produce a foul odor that the public will complain about?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Cow P##s

If someone had told me ten years ago that we would be dumping cow p##s in our vehicles to make them start and run, I would have asked what have you been smoking? My, how the world turns!

Forum Member

I'll give it about a week after they are being sold before there is a bypass for this system posted on the internet somewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are already kits to delete the DPF on the current 6.4L motors out through various aftermarket outlets.....

Thread Information