Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

At least FDNY hires every few years...... 2-3 years to wait is NOTHING.

All the best MikeyNY and whoever else wants to get on FDNY.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNY View Post
    Did you skip comprehension in school? Basically every guy on the job has said that they don't want people from EMS to use the promotional. So what do you do? Screw them right. Who needs to listen to guys who actually have your dream job. Well, I'm sure it is going to be a few lonely years in the FDNY my friends. Nah I take that back. At least you and Csblaze97 can be lonely together.
    Who's to say these guys who say they are part of the FDNY truly are? They're just faceless people behind a computer screen.
    Last edited by SPFD17; 10-13-2009 at 04:20 PM.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    Who's to say these guys who say they are part of the FDNY truly are? They're just faceless people behind a computer screen.
    Are you on SPFD?

Forum Member

Because alot of them actually are. Its pretty easy to tell between a buff who creams himself every time he sees a truck or a guy on the job. Of course there is no way of knowing. But I'm 100% sure there are a few on the forums that are FDNY like Calmb4storm. They know who they are. Thats why it is probably beneficial to take their advice on board since, providing you and I get hired, may end up working with them. And I would rather start my career without a mark like EMS to my name and have to hide the fact that I took the promotional. By all means go ahead and take EMS. It would probably be better since you are out of state and you will need a job straight away to pay the ridiculous rent here - not that EMS wage will help alot but anyway. You got any family in New York or someone to stay with because that would help you out ALOT!

Thanks CsBlaze97 and everyone. And yeah good luck 6019 - I sincerely hope you all get hired in the near future!

Forum Member

But I'm 100% sure there are a few on the forums that are FDNY like Calmb4storm.
    100% ?

I'm not.

I was, but I'm not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Calm

Calm don't sell yourself short.
    ONCE FDNY ALWAYS FDNY!!

Mike test to just test. It may sound stupid but if you really want this job go out and get some experience with Fire tests. You can decline the job but its only like 50 - 100 bucks to take a test and its an investment.

A good tests to take is Fairfax, VA. They use IO Solutions and the personality/psychological part was very similar to the new part on FDNY. Its a cheep test go down for the weekend test Saturday Day and spend the night out in DC and Sunday seeing the sights.

You dont have to move out of NY to test.

When I took the new test I had no idea they were going to put Psych/personality questions on there but when I saw them I was not nervous because I had taken a test like that before. ITS all about being prepared.
    Good luck
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Because alot of them actually are. Its pretty easy to tell between a buff who creams himself every time he sees a truck or a guy on the job. Of course there is no way of knowing. But I'm 100% sure there are a few on the forums that are FDNY like Calmb4storm. They know who they are. Thats why it is probably beneficial to take their advice on board since, providing you and I get hired, may end up working with them. And I would rather start my career without a mark like EMS to my name and have to hide the fact that I took the promotional. By all means go ahead and take EMS. It would probably be better since you are out of state and you will need a job straight away to pay the ridiculous rent here - not that EMS wage will help alot but anyway. You got any family in New York or someone to stay with because that would help you out ALOT!

Thanks CsBlaze97 and everyone. And yeah good luck 6019 - I sincerely hope you all get hired in the near future!
    Ok, this may sound dumb but I am truly sorry for causing arguments on this forum, I hate it when people do and it turns out I started one.
    Now honest question here, I have heard from an FDNY Fireman that my uncle is good friends with and I am now good friends with that its (no offense) but the older guys on the department who hate the guys who use the EMS Promotional, the new guys don't mind.
    He said basically you get your balls busted if your a probie no matter what, and that's cool. He said the only thing that changes if you took the EMS promotional is that they bust your balls a bit more. Which I would think in turns makes you have to prove yourself that much more which leads to a better fireman. Same with guys that come from NYPD. "Do whatever you can do give yourself a better chance of getting on the department."
    Just throwing this out there. And like I said, truly sorry for causing a ruckus, it got out of hand and off-topic quick.

Ok, this may sound dumb but I am truly sorry for causing arguments on this forum, I hate it when people do and it turns out I started one.
    Now honest question here, I have heard from an FDNY Fireman that my uncle is good friends with and I am now good friends with that its (no offense) but the older guys on the department who hate the guys who use the EMS Promotional, the new guys don't mind.
    He said basically you get your balls busted if your a probie no matter what, and that's cool. He said the only thing that changes if you took the EMS promotional is that they bust your balls a bit more. Which I would think in turns makes you have to prove yourself that much more which leads to a better fireman. Same with guys that come from NYPD. "Do whatever you can do give yourself a better chance of getting on the department."
    Just throwing this out there. And like I said, truly sorry for causing a ruckus, it got out of hand and off-topic quick.
    You apologize and then turn around and say the same thing you apologized for.
    What is with your double-talk?
    Don't p!ss on me and tell me it's raining.

Forum Member

Default Yep

Old, Young, New, Salty, Green......with the exception of those who used it most others think it is Bull S&#t. A back door way, which was originally intended to diversify the department further. It sucks!

Forum Member

As much as I hate the promotional, I also think that in the long run it won't make any difference at all. Surely guys in the firehouse won't hold a grudge for over ten years solely based on the way you got on the job. Who knows? But in the end I think it is all about how you do in a fire which makes the real difference. Either you will be good at the job or you will be a pussy/coward, and in the long run and that's probably how people will see you but who am I to talk.

SPFD17 I don't understand how the younger crowd would prefer the promotional as compared to the older guys on the department. The only reason why I would think that is because it is only a fairly new concept and the guys who like it probably took the promotional! If I took the test and I got 99 and you got 80 something, even though I'm "young" I'd still feel pis$ed off.

So, from what I've gathered in my short life span on the forums is that to get hired you need to 1. Kick ***** in the exam (I will try) 2. Be a resident (living in good ol' Staten Island) 3. Be a veteran (probably join the Marine Corps). If you don't make it then it wasn't meant to be and try again in four years. I can't see why you would even want to take a method that alot of people both FDNY and non-FDNY don't take kindly to. Sure, you will get on but then what? Not only are you the Probie but you are also the guy who didn't feel like taking the open competitive exam.

Sorry for the long post. Just felt like having a rant. By the way Calm, I did a little digging and yeah, turns out you're recently retired. Congratulations and have a happy retirement! To me you're still FDNY though. Thanks guys.

Mike

Forum Member

As much as I hate the promotional, I also think that in the long run it won't make any difference at all. Surely guys in the firehouse won't hold a grudge for over ten years solely based on the way you got on the job. Who knows? But in the end I think it is all about how you do in a fire which makes the real difference. Either you will be good at the job or you will be a pussy/coward, and in the long run and that's probably how people will see you but who am I to talk.

SPFD17 I don't understand how the younger crowd would prefer the promotional as compared to the older guys on the department. The only reason why I would think that is because it is only a fairly new concept and the guys who like it probably took the promotional! If I took the test and I got 99 and you got 80 something, even though I'm "young" I'd still feel pis$ed off.

So, from what I've gathered in my short life span on the forums is that to get hired you need to 1. Kick ***** in the exam (I will try) 2. Be a resident (living in good ol' Staten Island) 3. Be a veteran (probably join the Marine Corps). If you don't make it then it wasn't meant to be and try again in four years. I can't see why you would even want to take a method that alot of people both FDNY and non-FDNY don't take kindly to. Sure, you will get on but then what? Not only are you the Probie but you are also the guy who didn't feel like taking the open competitive exam.

Sorry for the long post. Just felt like having a rant. By the way Calm, I did a little digging and yeah, turns out you're recently retired. Congratulations and have a happy retirement! To me you're still FDNY though. Thanks guys.

Mike
    Bro, you don't HAVE to join the Marines or any other branch for that matter. Guys in the firehouse do appreciate veterans but those who took a different path aren't faulted for it. It's an honorable thing to do, but it isn't required. And these days you are likely to find yourself in a great deal of trouble in hot, sandy places. Seriously think about it before you sign anything because the Corps doesn't easily let go once they get you.

EMS is looked down upon, right or wrong. This is non-politically correct, but the quality of alot (not all) of people coming off the promo list is poor. That's just the way it is because they only have to score a 70 when the rest of the populace has to make at least a 98 to even hope.

Just do like you've been and you'll get there. And you guys hoping for October hang in there. I know it must suck but it's worth the wait, I promise you. Don't give up on it.

Forum Member

It comes down to this:

You want to do EMS? Do EMS 110%
    You want to be a fireman? Be a fireman 110%

Do dishes. Stay in the books (even when people arent watching). Learn your job. Learn other people's jobs. Before the end of the day, find a way to make yourself better at what you do than when you came in for the tour.

Some people are going to b!tch no matter how well you do or where you came from. Theyre b!tches.

Its not hard. Its easy. Unless your a big pile of crap, then it might be hard. You know what the solution to that is though...

Forum Member

By the way Calm, I did a little digging and yeah, turns out you're recently retired.
    So that's why they keep sending me these checks.

Did you skip comprehension in school? Basically every guy on the job has said that they don't want people from EMS to use the promotional.
    Not nearly every guy on the job feels that way, just most of the guys on this forum. I have drank many a beer with FDNY Brothers who feel it is a smart way in for guys willing to do what ever it takes to get on the job, everyone goes through the same academy and same probationary period. Last time I was up at Emmitsburg a Lt. on the job was actually encouraging someone to go that route based on the up coming serious slow down in hiring, he is third generation FDNY too.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Not nearly every guy on the job feels that way, just most of the guys on this forum. I have drank many a beer with FDNY Brothers who feel it is a smart way in for guys willing to do what ever it takes to get on the job, everyone goes through the same academy and same probationary period. Last time I was up at Emmitsburg a Lt. on the job was actually encouraging someone to go that route based on the up coming serious slow down in hiring, he is third generation FDNY too.
    Thank you for the positive comment Dennis. And I'm not just saying that because someone finally agreed with my point.
    So there might be, what, 5 FDNY guys on here? And those 5 hate the promotional, therefore every one that reads these forums on this promotional thinks its a horrible and bad route to take, but really only the 5 or so actual guys who are FDNY on here don't like it.
    There's a whole department out there fellas.

"Do whatever you can to better your chances of living out your dream."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the positive comment Dennis. And I'm not just saying that because someone finally agreed with my point.
    So there might be, what, 5 FDNY guys on here? And those 5 hate the promotional, therefore every one that reads these forums on this promotional thinks its a horrible and bad route to take, but really only the 5 or so actual guys who are FDNY on here don't like it.
    There's a whole department out there fellas.

"Do whatever you can to better your chances of living out your dream."
    Listen I have posted this in many of the FDNY forums and if you want to do some digging you can find it.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how ****ty it may be.
    EMS promotion IS a backdoor way onto the job. There is no opinion about it, it is fact. For many years the only way on this job was though an open competitive exam. To diversify the job they started EMS promotions. Someone with a 70 (EMS) gets on before someone with a 100 (open competitive). That just sucks. And mind you the test is so simple and with 100 or so of the questions being personality if you got a 70 thats ****.

That being said. If you choose to take the EMS route fine. No one is going to shun you and not be your friend in the firehouse. That only happens if your a hair bag. If you come in put in 100% you will be excepted. You will always be ribbed or joked on for it but over time no one really gives a **** its your actions that speak louder.

What most guys do not like is people getting on or who are not even on flaunting the EMS promotion. If you do it keep it to yourself, throwing it in our faces is what will get you no where in the firehouse.

I personally know many guys who got on from the EMS promotion, and you would never know it because they don't talk about it. They work hard and like I said make their actions speak for their character.

That being said good luck Mike with your venture what ever you do. Don't jump into the Corp with out thinking about it. Its a serious commitment, with serious consequences. Residency and a good score will get you in. Thats all I had and my list # was under 200
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Thread Information