Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default FDNY Entrance Exam

Hey guys,

I'm in college at the moment but I am just curious as to how hard the FDNY exam actually is. Put simply, how hard is it to score 95+ on the exam to stand a chance at getting hired? Anyone who has done the exam could you help me out?

Thanks, Mike

We are over here:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...97154&page=269

You should be hoping to make at least 98, live in the city, have or had a family member on the job, have veterans preference too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    We are over here:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...97154&page=269

You should be hoping to make at least 98, live in the city, have or had a family member on the job, have veterans preference too.
    no. . .
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. But that doesn't really help. Is it a hard exam? What I mean is if you work your *** off studying is a 98+ an achievable score?

Mike

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNY View Post
    Thanks guys. But that doesn't really help. Is it a hard exam? What I mean is if you work your *** off studying is a 98+ an achievable score?

Mike
    it absolutely is achievable even as an unadjusted score... just got to make you study a lot for it. practice memorizing pictures of city blocks and blueprints of buildings because that section of the exam is a deal-breaker. also take advantage of the crash-course review classes that they usually offer in brooklyn a few days before the day of the test because they can be extremely helpful. Barron's Firefighter Exams is a good book to pick up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNY View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm in college at the moment but I am just curious as to how hard the FDNY exam actually is. Put simply, how hard is it to score 95+ on the exam to stand a chance at getting hired? Anyone who has done the exam could you help me out?

Thanks, Mike

If you really want to get onto FDNY may I recommend the FDNY EMS Promotional? Some look down upon it and some don't mind it. I was told that its only the older, salty, firefighters that look down upon it and don't approve of it. But most of the guys on the department don't mind whatsoever. Here are a couple of threads on this topic.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=102836
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1101013
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1090974

In a nut shell how it works is you join FDNY EMS as an EMT or Paramedic and work for them for a couple of years. Then about every 2 years FDNY gives a promotion to firefighter exam, you take it and pass with a 70 or higher, and pass the CPAT plus all of the other tests such as medical, psych, etc. and you get placed on a list with other EMS Promotionals and get called before the open competitive.

I am not trying to start controversy here, just giving the guy an option.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    If you really want to get onto FDNY may I recommend the FDNY EMS Promotional? Some look down upon it and some don't mind it. I was told that its only the older, salty, firefighters that look down upon it and don't approve of it. But most of the guys on the department don't mind whatsoever. Here are a couple of threads on this topic.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=102836
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1101013
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1090974

In a nut shell how it works is you join FDNY EMS as an EMT or Paramedic and work for them for a couple of years. Then about every 2 years FDNY gives a promotion to firefighter exam, you take it and pass with a 70 or higher, and pass the CPAT plus all of the other tests such as medical, psych, etc. and you get placed on a list with other EMS Promotionals and get called before the open competitive.

I am not trying to start controversy here, just giving the guy an option.
    Yea its just that easy. The problem with that is some (alot) of slugs that do this see it as an easy way to get on. You know you could get a crapier score on the written and be called before an open candidate. Thing is when you have that kind of sh*tty mind set usually your whole life is about taking the easy route. Maybe thats why they have a bigger dropout rate in the academy. Because they figured they could slither their way thru that like they did the test. Thats usually where your laziness in life catches up with you. You want it bad enough you gotta work for it. Its not a fast or easy process.

Forum Member

There is no way that I'm going EMS. The way I figure it is if I can't get on the job in the open competitive I don't deserve to be in the department. Also, why would I become an EMT when I only want to be a fireman? Believe me, its better for me and the City of New York that I don't do EMS calls for 2 years because 1. I don't want to do it and I'm dealing with people's lives and 2. I really do not want to earn minimum wage in a job I hate so that MAYBE 2-5 years later I can get a job I will love. Sorry SPFD but that ain't me. I'm probably just going to do the exam and find an alternative career to pay the bills because as (sorry guys) list 6019 has shown there is no certainty on this job when it comes to hiring. If I get on, I get on.

Btw, even though I'm a Mets fan, and I usually hate the Yankees, they're looking GOOD for a world series this year. Would be an awesome AL Championship series Yankees vs Sox.

Thanks everyone, Mike

If you really want to get onto FDNY may I recommend the FDNY EMS Promotional?...
    No you may not.
    Are you part of our culture?
    No.

Stop trying to recommend to people something you know nothing about.
    This is the "backdoor" and has repeatedly proven itself to be just that.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 10-10-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingofdahill View Post
    Yea its just that easy. The problem with that is some (alot) of slugs that do this see it as an easy way to get on. You know you could get a crapier score on the written and be called before an open candidate. Thing is when you have that kind of sh*tty mind set usually your whole life is about taking the easy route. Maybe thats why they have a bigger dropout rate in the academy. Because they figured they could slither their way thru that like they did the test. Thats usually where your laziness in life catches up with you. You want it bad enough you gotta work for it. Its not a fast or easy process.
    Now I'm just saying, but it's not necessarily the "easy route." You put up with getting sh*t on by everyone in the department and city for 2-3 years of your life. All while getting horrible pay, working conditions, management, etc. I know some view this as the easy route like yourself, but personally, I think if your willing to put up some years damn near in poverty while having a horrible job all for a better chance at living out your dream of becoming a firefighter for hands down the best fire department in the world, you deserve to be bumped up above the people that maybe just applied, tested, and sat around and waited until their number was called.
    Just throwing a different perspective on the topic, not looking to get into another retarded "typing argument" here.

Forum Member

Now I'm just saying, but it's not necessarily the "easy route." You put up with getting sh*t on by everyone in the department and city for 2-3 years of your life. All while getting horrible pay, working conditions, management, etc. I know some view this as the easy route like yourself, but personally, I think if your willing to put up some years damn near in poverty while having a horrible job all for a better chance at living out your dream of becoming a firefighter for hands down the best fire department in the world, you deserve to be bumped up above the people that maybe just applied, tested, and sat around and waited until their number was called.
    Just throwing a different perspective on the topic, not looking to get into another retarded "typing argument" here.
    So then what about the guy who's struggling flipping burgers for sh*tty pay, sh*tty working conditions, and poor management. People struggle everyday doing jobs they would love to get out of for the chance at the job of their dreams. No one DESERVES anything without working for it. Like ffbam said it's a "backdoor" attempt. Personally I feel that you are f*cking people over that really want to do ems for a living in the city. You wanna do ems then put your heart into it. Peoples lives depend on those individuals. Ems has it place in this city. It was not meant to be a stepping stone for half *** slackers to cheat their way into the fire dept.

Forum Member

So then what about the guy who's struggling flipping burgers for sh*tty pay, sh*tty working conditions, and poor management. People struggle everyday doing jobs they would love to get out of for the chance at the job of their dreams. No one DESERVES anything without working for it. Like ffbam said it's a "backdoor" attempt. Personally I feel that you are f*cking people over that really want to do ems for a living in the city. You wanna do ems then put your heart into it. Peoples lives depend on those individuals. Ems has it place in this city. It was not meant to be a stepping stone for half *** slackers to cheat their way into the fire dept.
    I just don't see how its cheating. Yes I know that a guy in EMS can score a 70 on the promotional, get any score on the physical as long as he passes, and EASILY get into an upcoming academy and get onto the department, but he put in his time in EMS for this exact reason. We, along with everyone in the world, just have different opinions on the topic, and that's fine.
    I plan on using the Promotional myself. I want the job of NYC Firefighter so bad, I will be willing (along with others I'm sure) to do anything to get the job and give myself a dam near sure shot of getting on.

Forum Member

I need a break from these forums
    Last edited by CalmB4Storm; 10-12-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Forum Member

I want a cheeseburger.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by csBlaZe97 View Post
    I want a cheeseburger.
    With a little hard work maybe you will get on the job and into the house I work at. Then maybe, just maybe I will cook you a cheeseburger. Until then ask your mommy to cook you one.

Forum Member

I just don't see how its cheating. Yes I know that a guy in EMS can score a 70 on the promotional, get any score on the physical as long as he passes, and EASILY get into an upcoming academy and get onto the department, but he put in his time in EMS for this exact reason. We, along with everyone in the world, just have different opinions on the topic, and that's fine.
    I plan on using the Promotional myself. I want the job of NYC Firefighter so bad, I will be willing (along with others I'm sure) to do anything to get the job and give myself a dam near sure shot of getting on.

Did you skip comprehension in school? Basically every guy on the job has said that they don't want people from EMS to use the promotional. So what do you do? Screw them right. Who needs to listen to guys who actually have your dream job. Well, I'm sure it is going to be a few lonely years in the FDNY my friends. Nah I take that back. At least you and Csblaze97 can be lonely together.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default MIke

Back on topic!

Well Mike the test is not very hard at all.
    Many people would say read the 6019 thread and you will find it but I will be nice and give you a run down.
    If they do the same type of test they did last time it is a basic competency exam with allot of personality/psychology questions thrown in.
    I would recommend you get every book out there on fire exams and just start doing tests. They may not be FDNY exams but if you get a feel for the type of questions and things asked it can not hurt.
    I would recommend getting a book on "IO Solutions" exams. The personality section of these tests are very similar to what was asked on FDNY.
    Definitely get an ARCO book on Fire exams. They have old FDNY exams not the one they just gave but older ones. Over 50 points of the exam is just like the old tests. The rest was new personality questions and timed matching, and memory recollection.
    When the time comes the city also does prep classes and you really want to get into one of those for some more information.
    To even better your chances I would recommend trying to take a prep class with one of the fraternal organizations in the FDNY they are smaller.

Good luck
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Hey Mike-

I actually gave up the FDNY idea and stuck to the hometown were there will be no "backdooring" involved.

But no... SPFD isnt lonely... and not because I support the EMS promotion idea (which I wont make explicit as to if I do or dont).... but because I realize we are all in this together in such a career and segregating someone because they got in from a promotion is unethical, stupid, and frankly is for those who have nothing better to do.

Loneliness isnt overcome solely by surrounding yourself by people. Its alot deeper then that.

Still.... none of this changes the fact that I want a cheeseburger.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Test

Also go out and test for departments in the mean time. #1 you could get a job # 2 it helps you get ready for when you have to take FDNY's exam.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Thanks ant. Yeah probably better to get back on topic - got a little out of hand pretty quick. Thats good to know and I'll take your advice on board. I don't know if I will test for other departments. I don't really wanna leave New York so I'm going to take the Fire and PD tests but maybe also Boston. Who knows.

Thread Information