MembersZone Subscriber

Default TIC for water rescue?

An incident took place a few weeks ago near us wear a fire company was dispatched for a water rescue. The time was about 5:30 am, an individual attemted to swim across a small lake (Approx. 150 yards). The indivdual never made it to the other side. I wasn't at the call, but as I listened I wondered if they could use their TIC to possible locate the victim in the water. Has anyone tried this before? the water temp. was 69F, and the air temp. was 48F. they were on scene within 20 minutes of the victim going missing.

Forum Member

If their victim was still on the surface, It could work. Especially if they could get a look from an elevated point such as the top of an engine or aerial device.

Below the water I doubt it would do you any good because of the reflectivity of the surface. It would prob act just like a pool of water inside a fire building and reflect objects nearby.

MembersZone Subscriber

A TI will work for surface water rescue with some limitations.

First, the victim MUST be on the surface (at least partially above). Second, as you already have indicated, there needs to be a relative difference in temperature of the victim and the water. The closer the temp of both, the less "bold" the victim will show up. The air temperature isnt as important as the difference in temperature of the victim and the water.

Water will show up in various shades of color, as the different currents, areas of varying depth etc will be slightly different temperatures. There is also reflectivity of other objects off the water. Reflectivity is usually less of an issue although, because the water surface will most often be choppy from wind or currents.

This is a good drill to practice in the firehouse. Take several objects of different temperatures, some that float and some that sink and put them into a big bucket or trough of water (or even a folding dump tank or swimming pool) and see what you observe.

Its a good tool to have, but it has limitations.

Forum Member

I can't take credit for the picture, but I believe it's from a guy that used to post on here a lot, I think from down in Texas area.

Very good example of what a "body" in water looks like to a TIC.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I can't take credit for the picture, but I believe it's from a guy that used to post on here a lot, I think from down in Texas area.

Very good example of what a "body" in water looks like to a TIC.
    Kentucky, not Texas.

Thermal imagers do not see through water. Period. Once the person goes under, the TI is useless.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Ya, ya, that's it. Kentucky.

Figured YOU would know.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information