Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Some Outside Opinions

Our fire dept. and EMS dept are two seperate entities. The Fire Dept. has its own district and the Ems is run by the city. Recently the cities EMS director, who is also a paid per call member of the fire district, was released from his position because of sexual harassment.

I am looking for some outside opinions on what actions you believe the fire district should take, if any.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Not knowing the details of the harrassment charges, I'm assuming that it was "just" harrassment in the workplace and didn't rise to the level of a criminal charge.

Unless these charges affect his ability to perform on the fire department, I wouldn't suggest any punishment from the fire department.

I would try to arrange a prevention of sexual harrassment training for the fire department and make sure that everybody understands what is acceptable. This will help cover the department if something happens in the future. Also pay attention to any complaints of this nature that the department receives or has received.

MembersZone Subscriber

34's advice is sound. Unless there was criminality involved, I wouldn't do a thing UNLESS, you have reason to believe that it is also happening in the FD.

One thing all FD's should have, I don't care how big or small you are, is a policy regarding Harrasment in the Workplace. In service training should be done annually. All personnel should sign off that they have received a copy of the policy, read it and understand it.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Quote Originally Posted by bizkit002 View Post
    Our fire dept. and EMS dept are two seperate entities. The Fire Dept. has its own district and the Ems is run by the city. Recently the cities EMS director, who is also a paid per call member of the fire district, was released from his position because of sexual harassment.

I am looking for some outside opinions on what actions you believe the fire district should take, if any.

Thanks
    This is something that you should consult with your solicitor about.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone's replies are good but they best answer is talk to the dept's lawyer. Only they can give you the best advice.

Thread Information