Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Looking to enlist as a medic/firefighter for the Air Force

I have a few questions regarding after duty. Did being a FF or a 'medic in the military help you at all to become a civilian FF? I'm not just talking about gaining the experience or the edge. I'm talking about school work, degrees, certifications, ect. Did the AF or any other military help you gain that? I see a lot of FF depts are asking for a fire science degree, certifications, some ask to be a EMT as well. This is my main focus that I want to gain from the military. I keep asking my recruiter about it but he just keeps telling me that I'm going to get a lot of hands on experience. I have the academy for that. I'm more focusing on school work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chavez408 View Post
    I have a few questions regarding after duty. Did being a FF or a 'medic in the military help you at all to become a civilian FF? I'm not just talking about gaining the experience or the edge. I'm talking about school work, degrees, certifications, ect. Did the AF or any other military help you gain that? I see a lot of FF depts are asking for a fire science degree, certifications, some ask to be a EMT as well. This is my main focus that I want to gain from the military. I keep asking my recruiter about it but he just keeps telling me that I'm going to get a lot of hands on experience. I have the academy for that. I'm more focusing on school work.

Ok, where to start.....

Did it help, or will it help? Yes and No.
    Employers like hiring prior service, so that is a plus. If you apply for a smaller fire department after being in the AF as a firedog, as long as the state honors IFSAC, you can walk right on. If you want to work for a big city, u pretty much just get your 5 vet points added to your written test score or oral board score and do the entire process and hope that you score high on all the entry level test. SOMETIMES...... big cities do LATERAL hires, which you would qualify for.

School work.
    if you are not lazy, you will have your associates degree within your 4 year enlistment. If you are very high speed, you will have your batch. degree.

EMT.
    if you go to a good base you will have EMT basic within your 1st year. if you go to a ****ty base you will have to persue it off base.

medic side.... if you come in the airforce to be a medic you will be a EMT-B. UNLESS you do pararescue, then you will be a paramedic. there is a rumor that IDMTs, the airforce core man (sp), are going to be getting Paramedic cert. at school.

If you come do 4 years, bust your *** and dont be a lazy waste of space. You will come out EMT-B, Associates degree, and a crapload of certs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFfiredog View Post
    Ok, where to start.....

Employers like hiring prior service, so that is a plus. If you apply for a smaller fire department after being in the AF as a firedog, as long as the state honors IFSAC, you can walk right on. If you want to work for a big city, u pretty much just get your 5 vet points added to your written test score or oral board score and do the entire process and hope that you score high on all the entry level test. SOMETIMES...... big cities do LATERAL hires, which you would qualify for.

School work.
    if you are not lazy, you will have your associates degree within your 4 year enlistment. If you are very high speed, you will have your batch. degree.

EMT.
    if you go to a good base you will have EMT basic within your 1st year. if you go to a ****ty base you will have to persue it off base.

medic side.... if you come in the airforce to be a medic you will be a EMT-B. UNLESS you do pararescue, then you will be a paramedic. there is a rumor that IDMTs, the airforce core man (sp), are going to be getting Paramedic cert. at school.

If you come do 4 years, bust your *** and dont be a lazy waste of space. You will come out EMT-B, Associates degree, and a crapload of certs.
    Thank you very much!

Provided you do not get deployed 4 months of every 12....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Provided you do not get deployed 4 months of every 12....

if he comes active duty AF he will not be deployed 4 months every 12.

were still on AEF rotations in the FD for the AF. meaning we only do 120 days every 15 or so months, and 95% of of the people do not go each time there bucket is up. The numbers are strong in the FD right now.

Forum Member

Employers like hiring prior service, so that is a plus. If you apply 640-863 for a smaller fire department after being in the AF as a firedog, as long as the state honors IFSAC, you can walk right on. If you want to work for a big city, u pretty much just get your 5 vet points added to your written test score or oral board score and do the entire process and hope that you score high on all the entry level test. SOMETIMES...... big cities do LATERAL cisco 650-175 hires, which you would qualify for.

Ok, where to start.....

Prior service will help, definitely, and once you get to the oral board portion of the hiring process certs MIGHT help a bit, but.....being a paramedic will help more than all the IFSAC certs in the world, and even with PM no one is going to let you "walk right on."

And...NO big city is going to lateral you from the AF..

Forum Member

what about the opposite situation. What if someone whoes been on the job for a couple years and wants to furfill his dream of being in the military. I was looking at going after a FF spot in a local air guard unit. I have been in the fire service for 6 years now, 2 on the job. Would I be able to use the experience/training in my career dept and the experiences/training from the military and put them together to become a very well rounded firefighter?

Quote Originally Posted by ctfireguy View Post
    what about the opposite situation. What if someone whoes been on the job for a couple years and wants to furfill his dream of being in the military. I was looking at going after a FF spot in a local air guard unit. I have been in the fire service for 6 years now, 2 on the job. Would I be able to use the experience/training in my career dept and the experiences/training from the military and put them together to become a very well rounded firefighter?
    It depends. How supportive will your employer be? I know mine gives certain benefits to employees who are members of the Reserve/Guard at time of hire that it will not if you enter after hire. Is you dept big enough to absorb the OT if you get deployed? Will it be a pay cut for you?

I was already in the reserve when hired by the FD, but moved into an ARFF spot later. The military promotion system was much faster in my case than the FD-I was equivalent to a chief in the military while still a FF at work. That gave me a ton of experience that helped me see the big picture on the job. My civilian FF training also helped me feel confident in picking up on ARFF and in training my junior Marines.

From the ANG FFs I know, they have a lot of training opportunities. But if your state is not part of IFSAC, none of your certs will transfer, and you will have to go to the fire academy for 3 months after basic.

Bottom line: I bet there are a few career FFs in the ANG unit you're looking at. Talk to them about how they juggle the two jobs and family, and if the training is worth it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the help gunyv,
    i have not talk to my chief yet about my thoughts, I figure I will save that for last lol expecially since my dept is very small and prob wont be able to handle the OT.

I also have plenty of time to think about it. My life goal is to finish my AAS. I have 7 more classes. I've been going for it for 5 years now and I don't want to stop for basic, AIT and possilbe deployment, I just want it down.

I will certainly talk to my local units for their input.

I actually wouldn't mind going through the DOD academy. I would like to hope that I would pick up little things here and there that I didn't get in my state's academy.

Thread Information