MembersZone Subscriber

Default How does this constitute a "prank".

This isn't a prank. This is burglary and criminal mischief.

Prank Lands Fla. Fire Medics in Hot Water

Josh Poltilove
    Tampa Tribune, Fla.

--

Oct. 8--TAMPA -- Six Hillsborough County fire medics were reprimanded and a captain faces discipline after a prank left a co-worker's home trashed.

All seven have been transferred from Station 14 to other stations.

On Aug. 15, current and former firefighters from Station 14 were attending a baby shower at Capt. E.J. Fernandez's home, documents show. Fire medic Miguel Ruiz was expected to attend but didn't arrive.

A group of attendees went to a convenience store to get supplies to toilet paper the outside of Ruiz's home, a memorandum states. But at the home, the group found an unlocked door and several members went inside.

"The mischief included clothes being taken out of his closet, paper towels wrapping a television, a plastic bag or perhaps a roll of bags in the commode along with pubic hair, unused condoms on the floor, toilet paper on the outside of the home, dishwashing powder on the outside lawn etc.," the memo states.

Fernandez later said the hair had, in fact, come from his own stomach.

Ruiz complained that he could not continue working with those involved.

The fire medics who didn't enter the home -- Stan Hyatt and Robert Gero -- received verbal reprimands. The four others -- Marlon Jones, Fabian Fernandez, Ryan Tolley and Jason Turk -- received written reprimands.

Fernandez was sent to a predisciplinary hearing, the results of which have not been determined, Fire Rescue spokesman Ray Yeakley said today.

Ruiz is still assigned to Station 14.

PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Easy, it doesn't
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Stupidity at it's finest...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

Now if LEOs had done that it would be a fourth amendment issue. This is completely uncalled for and shows some rather childish behavior. Clearly laws were broken.

Forum Member

How can those who are acused call this a prank? I'd like to hear their reasoning behind this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Methinks alcohol combined with an overabundance of the STOOOOPID gene was at work here.

Forum Member

They're trying to get out of being punished.Somebody has to have realized that they (rhymes with trucked) up badly and are looking at job loss,fines or both.

Quote Originally Posted by eng451 View Post
    How can those who are acused call this a prank? I'd like to hear their reasoning behind this.

Forum Member

I'm just confused how they are being disciplined for this? Were they off duty? Were there charges filed?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    I'm just confused how they are being disciplined for this? Were they off duty? Were there charges filed?
    So because the legal system was not involved, it's all good? No blood no foul?

There's such a thing as "conduct unbecoming."

If this is what they do to a "brother," I can't imagine what they might do to some unfortunate citizen that crosses them.

IMHO, there's plenty of people out there looking for a good job that would never dream of treating a coworker like this. I'd start with the next 6 on the hiring list, myself.

Truckie

Who called it a prank, the author of the article?
    I didn't read anywhere in the article that those involved are using prank as an excuse for their actions. So if you are trying to connect this to the basic firehouse shenanigans, it's quit a leap.
    This wasn't a prank, this was all out vandalism. They should be punished as such.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    So because the legal system was not involved, it's all good? No blood no foul?

There's such a thing as "conduct unbecoming."

If this is what they do to a "brother," I can't imagine what they might do to some unfortunate citizen that crosses them.

IMHO, there's plenty of people out there looking for a good job that would never dream of treating a coworker like this. I'd start with the next 6 on the hiring list, myself.

I never said I condone what they did. IMHO, there should probably be charges filed against them. I've been the victim of toilet papering a couple times. I knew who did it both times and caught them both times. Both times were by friends and coworkers. Both times it rained overnight. The last time got pretty ugly and the people who did this finally got it through their heads that I wasn't playing their games anymore.

I still don't see how this is something they can be punished for at the place of employment. They were all on their own time. No criminal charges were filed. If my dog poops on someone else's lawn and I don't clean it up am I going to get disciplined at work?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Who called it a prank, the author of the article?
    I didn't read anywhere in the article that those involved are using prank as an excuse for their actions. So if you are trying to connect this to the basic firehouse shenanigans, it's quit a leap.
    This wasn't a prank, this was all out vandalism. They should be punished as such.
    Yes, the article called it a prank. I, personally, did not try to connect it to anything. Pranks occur outside the firehouse, too.

Apparently, the agency involved connected it to the firehouse, though. Since they reprimanded them for it and all.

SO, if you need help coming down from your high horse, let me know.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Even if they were off the clock when they went to toilet paper a bro's house,they went inside WITHOUT permission.Just because the door was unlocked did not grant them any special privilege to enter.How did they know the door was unlocked?A little birdie tell them or did someone "try before pry" the doors?That ups the ante from "prank" to "unlawful entry" don't you think?
    In some jurisdictions,people get shot for entering a home with out the owner's permission and being unidentified at the time.
    I'd snarl while cleaning up the mess if I got tp'd(rasslefrassin' no good KIDS!) but if someone enters my house,removes items from their stowage,and spreads substances and items over the house and yard,there WILL be a police report filed.How does one know that those substances are harmless?Trojan(no pun intended) horse attack,anyone?
    They should be counting themselves lucky if all they get is reassignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And..............

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Methinks alcohol combined with an overabundance of the STOOOOPID gene was at work here.
    Was a name left off the list that was published?? Jack Daniels?? Could Captain Morgan have been behind this??...........

Calling Dr. Darwin, Calling Dr. Darwin................
    Last edited by hwoods; 10-14-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information