Permanently Removed

Default Video- How NOT to do an interior attack or public fire demo.

Oh my gosh! This is basic firefighting 101. I would be very embarrassed to be one of these 3 Firefighters.

http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...ect=1289732067

Firehouse.com story link- http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=66043

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-09-2009 at 02:36 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I definitely would not want any of them to be my partner but then again the plastic would not have been my first concern either. They certainly should have been watching each others backs though.

Permanently Removed

Just the fact they walked right up to the involved room, get some space between you and the interior attack. And the Chief- Don't micro manager and push the Firefighters in. Stand back, observe, watch and get situational awareness. They are big boys and don't need you to pat them on the back to be pushed in.

Chalk it up to lack of experience and training. I just downloaded the video in wmv, please hit me in PMs for a copy.

Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Forum Member

Before you go and bust the balls of Brothers from the DCFD, remember this was a demonstration fiah!

They were acting as the people wanted them to that was doing the demonstration.

Nothing against that great department, its members or those who have been there, but sometimes $hit happens and this time it did catch the members in a bad position.

I am very sure that the DCFD Chief Denis Rubin is not too pleased at what happen here and to his members as well, thus making them look bad, which they aren't!

That member in the white hemet is not a Chief. Probably a LT or Capt. Chiefs wear all white. Line Officers have worn white helmets for years!!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-09-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow. That almost makes me speachless. What were they thinking?

Forum Member

Lol at least its not as bad as these jolly volleys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f66tK0rByI

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    They were acting as the people wanted them to that was doing the demonstration.
    EDIT- COT- I got it. They were following directions given on the fire ground. Chaulk it up to the inexperience on the Supervisor then.

As a Firefighter, I would know better and not let the SGT push me into such a situation. I rather get a verbal lashing than a burns to my body any day.

Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-09-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Member

Where was the back-up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    COT- You lost me there bro. Someone wanted them to do this on purpose? Risk their health, lives and damage their PPE?

Can you please expand on that.

Respectfully, Bou

That was a SGT in the white helmet.

BOU - Try is site has an story to to;

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...provider=email
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    That was a SGT in the white helmet.
    COT- Ok, a SGT. Chief, Captain, Lt, SGT- whatever. A Supervisor onscene should never push Firefighters/The Nozzle Person into an obvious situation like that.

Its been said over and over here by me for years- The BEST TOOL you carry is your brain and eyes. Use them FIRST to observe situations, conditions and react properly.

Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-10-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Lol at least its not as bad as these jolly volleys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f66tK0rByI
    I'm not sure where you are from, but these "jolly volleys" see a good amount of fire and for the most part, that county has some kick *** firemen.

And no I do not drink the Kentland KoolAid.....I know plenty of other departments in the area.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

COT- You lost me there bro. Someone wanted them to do this on purpose? Risk their health, lives and damage their PPE?

Can you please expand on that.

Respectfully, Bou
    He didnt lose me....you did with your typical sarcasm, and arm chair quarterbacking. Why dont you contact DCFD for the story, instead of expanding on an exercise that obviously went bad for them. Quit casting stones, you weren't there were you.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by babcusar5 View Post
    He didnt lose me....you did with your typical sarcasm, and arm chair quarterbacking. Why dont you contact DCFD for the story, instead of expanding on an exercise that obviously went bad for them. Quit casting stones, you weren't there were you.
    bab- I misunderstood COT and then got his message. I went back to post #7 and edited it.

Typical arm chair quarterbacking? Again, its firefighting 101. These professionals should have known better. Contact the DCFD, why? So they can explain it any better than the video and accompanying story?

Casting stones, like you are now? Hey pal, I rather rip theses guys here and have someone learn something vs. reading how a brother is in the burn unit because he pulled the same tactic months later. They screwed up, we need to learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Bou

Forum Member

bab- I misunderstood COT and then got his message. I went back to post #7 and edited it.

Typical arm chair quarterbacking? Again, its firefighting 101. These professionals should have known better. Contact the DCFD, why? So they can explain it any better than the video and accompanying story?

Casting stones, like you are now? Hey pal, I rather rip theses guys here and have someone learn something vs. reading how a brother is in the burn unit because he pulled the same tactic months later. They screwed up, we need to learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Bou
    I am sure there dept can take care of any "Ripping" if it's needed without your help. Thanks for fixing your misunderstanding...

Forum Member

I disagree. The only reason that this happened is because of the Lexan glass that was used on the prop, which the guys on the line would certainly not be accustomed to. They most likely got told the morning of, that they were going to be called down to an area in their first due to do a fire attack demonstration.

They attacked the fire in the exact manor that nearly all good, aggressive engine companies would. What do you expect, them to stand 30 feet away from the fire because the stream will go that far. Call it what you want, to me that is a defensive attack. Unnacceptable for a fire as designed in this demonstration and unnacceptable had this fire been a bedroom in an actual dwelling.

Proof positive that today's turnouts are doing what they are designed to do, as none of them even knew there was a problem.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 10-09-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by babcusar5 View Post
    I am sure there dept can take care of any "Ripping" if it's needed without your help. Thanks for fixing your misunderstanding...

Hey pal, don't come in jabbing me. If it was a California department, everyone here would be all over it. They messed up, it looked bad, lets learn from it and move on.

Sorry you're so sensitive on the issue. And it's "their dept.", not "there dept".

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    The only reason that this happened is because of the Lexan glass that was used on the prop, which the guys on the line would certainly not be accustomed to. They most likely got told the morning of, that they were going to be called down to an area in their first due to do a fire attack demonstration.
    No, this happened because they weren't watching the conditions, positioned themselves wrong and moved in for the cameras.

They attacked the fire in the exact manor that nearly all good, aggressive engine companies would. What do you expect, them to stand 30 feet away from the fire because the stream will go that far. Call it what you want, to me that is a defensive attack. Unnacceptable for a fire as designed in this demonstration and unnacceptable had this fire been a bedroom in an actual dwelling.
    Ummm, no. I expected them to properly position themselves to the exterior of the attack, make proper knock down and advance as needed. This was a text book tactic and should have been handled better.

Proof positive that today's turnouts are doing what they are designed to do, as none of them even knew there was a problem.
    Agreed, I thought the same thing.

Lets learn from this accident and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-09-2009 at 03:20 PM.

the 4-1-4

Hey pal, dont come in jabbing me. If it was a California department, everyone here would be all over it. They messed up, it looked bad, lets learn from it and move on.

Sorry you're so sensitive on the issue. And it's "thier dept.", not "there dept".

This is why the forums really, really suck. Bou, are you absolutely certain that you want to start correcting grammar, I mean really sure?

Forum Member

Hey pal, dont come in jabbing me. If it was a California department, everyone here would be all over it. They messed up, it looked bad, lets learn from it and move on.
    It looks bad to who? To you because you disagree with it.

To the public that was applauding by the way, they saw a firefighters that risked catching fire to save them or protect their property.

Perception is everything.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    This is why the forums really, really suck. Bou, are you absolutely certain that you want to start correcting grammar, I mean really sure?
    Yes, I am really sure. The forums really suck because people like you get upset because people like me disagree with you. Quit being so sensitive just because I don't agree with you.

As for the typo, you caught it before I finished the spell check, no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    It looks bad to who? To you because you disagree with it.

To the public that was applauding by the way, they saw a firefighters that risked catching fire to save them or protect their property.

Perception is everything.
    Yeah, I disagree with it. When Firefighters do stupid tactics and catch themselves on fire (all 3 of them), I will always speak up.

As for the public applauding, that was a courtesy clap. Get real man.

Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-09-2009 at 03:26 PM.

the 4-1-4

Yes, I am really sure. The forums really suck because people like you get upset because people like me disagree with you. Quit being so sensitive just because I dont agree with you.

As for the typo, you caught it before I finished the spell check, no biggie.

Bou
    I'm sensitive? Really? Where did I comment one way or another about the video?
    Where did I agree or disagree with anything you said, other than your grammar attack on yet another poster, whether or not they had it coming, just like most other threads you participate in.

By the way, either stop posting drunk or get a better spell check, as your grammar sucks in just about every post you make.

Yes, you are quite the fire service "leader". Carry on.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I'm sensitive? Really? Where did I comment one way or another about the video?
    Where did I agree or disagree with anything you said, other than your grammar attack on yet another poster, whether or not they had it coming, just like most other threads you participate in.

By the way, either stop posting drunk or get a better spell check, as your grammar sucks in just about every post you make.

Yes, you are quite the fire service "leader". Carry on.
    There was no grammar attack. Normally I let that stuff go, but the member took a jab at me first. I do not post drunk and where did I claim to be a "leader" here?.

So I guess we are all going to get East Coast sensitive on Bou and attack as usual vs. addressing the issue. Typical.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Hey Bou,

Nice example of turning something that could have been a really good learning tool into your little man war against anywhere that isn't California.

How about you get some help because your paranoia is really getting out of hand. The truth is the vast majority here don't care enough about you or California to search the internet to find things to slam you over. Kind of like you do for the other 49 states, especially east coast ones.

Pathetic, really pathetic. What happened to you man?
    Last edited by FyredUp; 10-09-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: clarity

MembersZone Subscriber

other then some plastic dripping on them which does suck, what went wrong? Back up man on the line addressed the problem and took care of it.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Hey Bou,

Nice example of turning something that could have been a really good learning tool into your little man war against anywhere that isn't California.

How about you get some help because your paranoia is really getting out of hand. The truth is the vast majority here don't care enough about you or California to search the internet to find things to slam you over. Kind of like you do for the other 49 states, especially east coast ones.

Pathetic, really pathetic. What happened to you man?
    Hey FyredUp- You're a real hypocrite. Why not just stick to the topic at hand instead of attack me and stirring the pot. I gave my allowed opinion, didn't slam these guys, but I think they should have done better.

It was all good in here until post #17 where another member turned the discussion ugly.

Nothing happened to me bro, I am better than ever. Just a lot of people in here are sensitive and really get upset when I don't agree with them on issues like tradition and why do we put certain sirens on apparatus in California. Stop being so sensitive and just stick to the topic.

I didn't attack the DCFD guys here, I said that their attack is Firefighting 101 and they should have known better.

If people here would stick to the topic instead of getting their feelings hurt and going Ad hominem, there wouldnt be a problem.

Please- Stick to the topic.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-09-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Hey FyredUp- You're a real hypocrite. Why not just stick to the topic at hand instead of attack me and stirring the pot. I gave my allowed opinion, didn't slam these guys, but I think they should have done better.

It was all good in here until post #17 where another member turned the discussion ugly.

Nothing happened to me bro, I am better than ever. Just a lot of people in here are sensitive and really get upset when I don't agree with them on issues like tradition and why do we put certain sirens on apparatus in California. Stop being so sensitive and just stick to the topic.

I didn't attack the DCFD guys here, I said that their attack is Firefighting 101 and they should have known better.

If people here would stick to the topic instead of getting their feelings hurt and going Ad hominem, there wouldnt be a problem.

Please- Stick to the topic.
    It was quite simply a text book attack that was fouled up by the plastic overhead melting and dropping on the crew. When's the last time you had that happen at a real bedroom fire?

Thread Information