Forum Member

Default Wildland Experience Beneficial for City Jobs?

I know this may be beating on a dead dog, but I'm planning on joining the my school's Wildland Academy after I earn my EMT-B. The Academy pays, so I'm planning on saving that money and using it towards paramedic school. So my question is, will my time as a wildland firefighter be beneficial when it comes time for me to apply for a city dept.?

Permanently Removed

Depends where you are at. Is it a Caifornia department?

Forum Member

Yes, San Diego...

Forum Member

which academy are you attending? is this a college one? im looking to get in to one.

Forum Member

Southwestern College's Wildland Academy in Chula Vista, CA.

Forum Member

I think it helps, that was the path I took. Did Wildland during the summers and took classes/anything else that would help in the winters. It paid the bills, gave me some experience, and allowed me to attend college.

You could name numerous things that relate bewteen wild fire and city fire. Radio commo, rank, ICS, small motors, pumps, long work hours, blah blah blah. How could this NOT help someone?

It's just one of many things you could do in my opinion. I did it for 6 years, 2001-2006 seasons, full time all year around. Winter was a set 40 hrs week so I was able to do other things. Then I was hired by age 24 with a great dept.

Won't work for everyone but doing it for a couple of seasons is a great life experience. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Cool. Thanks for the input.

Forum Member

There are a few groups that seem to have a leg up on the competition. People that are already firefighters somewhere else paid or volunteer, People with military service, and wildland firefighters. All of these things show something about you that you couldnít say. You are a person that knows more about the job, working under the chain of command, working when you are tired, hungry and donít have clean underwear.

The wildland experience isnít going to get you the job all by itself, but put it together with all of the other requirements for the job and you should be well ahead of the competition. I coached a young guy a few months ago and in his talking with the three chiefís in his chiefís interview it turned out he had been to more acres of fire than all of them combined, in only three years of CDF. That canít hurt as, long as you donít get a big head about it.

Forum Member

if you want to go to a lot of fires, learn a lot and bust your *** then join a Hotshot Crew. If you just want a resume builder then go to a Engine.

Thread Information