Forum Member

Default How often do you train?

This might be more appropriate for the Extricaiton forums but I figured it would get more attention here.

How many extrications do you get a year? (anything from door pops to intense extrications)

How often do you train on extrication techniques?
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 10-10-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey I come from a rather small district. At most 5,000 residents but we average around 5 major extrications each year and at least 15-20 more cut the battery type of deals. We usually only do 3-4 extrication drills per year if that and I am always complaining to the chiefs that we should do more. So often we get on scene and it is complete chaos because the people are not familiar with extrications.

Forum Member

With two limited access highways (Interstates 495 and 290), US Route 20 and State Route 85 transecting our fair City, coupled with the inattentive drivers on the roads today, we do get out fair share of opportunities to use our extrication equipment.

We also train regularly with cars donated by our local automotive recycling facility.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

post removed.....im an idiot...wrong forum
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    With two limited access highways (Interstates 495 and 290), US Route 20 and State Route 85 transecting our fair City, coupled with the inattentive drivers on the roads today, we do get out fair share of opportunities to use our extrication equipment.

We also train regularly with cars donated by our local automotive recycling facility.
    Same situation here. However, it is becoming more difficult to obtain vehicles for practice. At one point, I was paying 50 to 100 bucks each for awhile. I was able to get them free this year. We do not have a salvage or recycling yard in our district. We average 12-15 good pin-ins a year with the routine door pops about every couple of weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now there would be an excellent use for all those "Cash for Clunkers" leftovers!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

We run about 50 extrications a year with about half of them being your "routine" door pops.

We typically have 2 extrication classes a year, plus however many EMT Class demonstrations we do.

As far as obtaining cars go you need to develop relationships with your local wrecker services and salvage yards. We recently have assisted wrecker services getting 2 vehicles out of a river which they greatly appreciated, especially since we had to send divers in on the last one. Also, if the tow truck can get their in a timely manner, and your crew can stand by for a few extra minutes, those guys definately appreciate ya blocking the scene with your big red truck. Going the extra mile for your local wrecker services will pay ya back in the long run! Those few extra minutes of standing around "B.S.ing" with em can get you the cars you will need.

On another note, for any of you all near a vehicle manufacturing plant, you may be able to squeeze a few vehicles out of them. Back when Saturn was producing vehicles in our county (R.I.P.), we would get 7-8 vehicles at a time to cut up, plus they would use a skid steer to put the vehicles in all kinds of technical positions.

Good lucks guys and stay safe!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
    Same situation here. However, it is becoming more difficult to obtain vehicles for practice. At one point, I was paying 50 to 100 bucks each for awhile. I was able to get them free this year. We do not have a salvage or recycling yard in our district. We average 12-15 good pin-ins a year with the routine door pops about every couple of weeks.
    You could do a donate your old car for a tax deduction program, as long as your FD can get the proper paperwork done with the IRS.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

the 4-1-4

RFRD, we run 7 jaws companies, city-wide. I have no idea how many extrication type of alarms that we have each year, but in house we work a couple of jaws runs per week on average. These runs range from the run of the mill door pops to complicated work, but the majority is fairly simple.

The department used to put on a jaws refresher for all jaws trucks, biannually. Thanks in part to budgetary issues, that is all gone.
    In house, we try to use out tools a couple of times per summer/spring/fall, weather dependent. We have a scrap yard that is in our first due that is very accommodating to us and our requests for cars to work on. They will even mangle them up a bit, if we ask for it.

So from an admin angle, there is nothing official anymore. In house, we train several times a year for a couple of hours. Some of the other jaws companies do their own training, as well, but not all.

Budgets are a sad restraint on many things that we try to do, or need to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    You could do a donate your old car for a tax deduction program, as long as your FD can get the proper paperwork done with the IRS.
    I now offer this to some of the locally owned wrecker operators. That is why I can now get the vehicles for free. They bring the form and the cars, I send them the completed form and a nice "thank you" letter. Works very well.

One recent addition I made was that I contacted a local construction firm and had some "K" rails and guardrails brought in. This gives us the ability to place the vehicles in awkward positions up against and on top of the rails for training scenerios. Anybody doing this with any unique problems or issues?

Thread Information