Thread: Nims

Forum Member

Default Nims

I'm and in Texas if that has anything to do with the question! I'm 16 and was wondering if I needed to take the courses if so which ones? I feel more comfortable talking to you guys then asking anybody at my fire dept. cause I know some of them and I don't want to look like an idiot in front of them! So if you can help me out here that would be great!

Chris

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I seriously doubt that the guys at your department will consider you an idiot for asking what NIMS classes you should take...they WILL consider you an idiot if you never ask questions and therefore never learn anything

I think that for someone at your level the basic NIMS courses should suffice. IS-100, IS-200, and IS-700 at a minimum are the ones I'm requiring for all my members.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thank you very much! For my own future reference, rushing through them is not a very good idea. Have to retake IS-100!
    Last edited by badtxmojojr; 10-12-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Take 100,200 and 700 online. Texas Forestry Service IS REQUIRING ALL company officers take ALL NIMS classes in order to continue to get grant money. I've already taken 100,200 and 700. I will be taking 300 this week as It is manditory classroom time.

Forum Member

IS-800 is good as well after completion of the first 3

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by badtxmojojr View Post
    I'm and in Texas if that has anything to do with the question! I'm 16 and was wondering if I needed to take the courses if so which ones? I feel more comfortable talking to you guys then asking anybody at my fire dept. cause I know some of them and I don't want to look like an idiot in front of them! So if you can help me out here that would be great!

Chris
    Chris, don't ever be worried about asking a question. It's only dumb if you don't ask it.

Some advice if I could... find the person in your department that has a couple of kids, doesn't laugh the loudest or talk over anyone. You know, the laid back guy. If he has kids, he's used to questions. Pull him off to the side and ask him in private. Have at least something that shows you have put some thought to it and tried to figure it out on your own. In other words, know what NIMS is and how it pertains, or you think it pertains, to you for example.

All the books and videos and forums although a great resource, will never compare to a good mentor.

Be safe, R2

Forum Member

Here's a suggestion with taking NIMS online my instructor gave us: print off the test before taking the online class, and answer as you go. Do make sure you read it all though, that's the purpose after all.

Thread Information