1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hills Of Tennessee
    Posts
    8

    Question State Side Contract FD moving to Civil Services

    Our Department is Contract Department to a state side military base. I would say about 75% prior military or retired military and the rest are local guys that met the requirements set fourth by the DOD to be firefighter.
    A few months ago we were emailed there is a possibility of us going GS in 5 years. Last weeks Union meeting we were told we are going to GS system and we may seeing the move as early as 2011, 2012 physical year.

    So here we are as department pretty much sitting in the dark on what's next or what to expect. We are looking for insight on the procceeding and what to prepare for. For the guys that have been here retired or prior military that are over or nearing the civil service retirment age what can they except? And for the guys that are the young bloods in the department that have been hired in the last few years civilian or prior military what should we except?

    We as department are looking for any insight on this!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg59 View Post
    Our Department is Contract Department to a state side military base. I would say about 75% prior military or retired military and the rest are local guys that met the requirements set fourth by the DOD to be firefighter.
    A few months ago we were emailed there is a possibility of us going GS in 5 years. Last weeks Union meeting we were told we are going to GS system and we may seeing the move as early as 2011, 2012 physical year.

    So here we are as department pretty much sitting in the dark on what's next or what to expect. We are looking for insight on the procceeding and what to prepare for. For the guys that have been here retired or prior military that are over or nearing the civil service retirment age what can they except? And for the guys that are the young bloods in the department that have been hired in the last few years civilian or prior military what should we except?

    We as department are looking for any insight on this!

    Thanks
    I hate to say it, but for the guys that are not military, prior military or never been permanent federal employees... they will probably lose there jobs. The Veterans or existing federal employees who apply against the jobs (once it goes gs) will be considered priority hires. Although I did hear that having firefighter DOD recognized certs at the gs 6 level or higher with outweigh a veteran with no certs. Plus the Chief might be able name select the individuals he wants to hire. I am told that if the chief wants to hire a specific person...he will get that person.

    I work contract for USAF Plant 42 and I think we would lose 1/3 of our guys if we went GS.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    A lot of people are going to give you what they think is the right answer, some of the advise will be correct and some will be wrong. My suggestion to you is talk to firefighters at a base where this has already happened! A such base is Bangor Submarine Base in Washington State, they were Contract and went Federal. I can tell you that the Firefighters there that were older then 37 were not re-hired as federal firefighters. The chief officers that were older then 37 were offered chief officers positions or inspector positions that did not ride the trucks. Good Luck !

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Where is this contract job, Base, Installation, Fort, ETC, ?

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hills Of Tennessee
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks for the info. The AF is keeping a tight lid on the whole thing. This all started as rumor a few months ago and being piped down little piece of info here and there. One email and then later the Union meeting stating that changes will be coming possiblity 2011-2012 and thats it. I believe on my part, its best not to name the base until its made public. Word on street, the brass is coming in the following weeks to view the fire department, and discuss the changes with base magement. Then from there word will trickle down.

    I have to say, working here is no different then the being active duty. Just minus the military training side of it. But I will keep the thread updated, for future inquiries. I'm going to try and get in contact with somebody from Bangor and maybe I can have them post on the forum as well.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg59 View Post
    Our Department is Contract Department to a state side military base. I would say about 75% prior military or retired military and the rest are local guys that met the requirements set fourth by the DOD to be firefighter.
    A few months ago we were emailed there is a possibility of us going GS in 5 years. Last weeks Union meeting we were told we are going to GS system and we may seeing the move as early as 2011, 2012 physical year.

    So here we are as department pretty much sitting in the dark on what's next or what to expect. We are looking for insight on the procceeding and what to prepare for. For the guys that have been here retired or prior military that are over or nearing the civil service retirment age what can they except? And for the guys that are the young bloods in the department that have been hired in the last few years civilian or prior military what should we except?

    We as department are looking for any insight on this!

    Thanks
    USAF Plant 42 Fire is going civil service as well. We just recieved the news today.

    I am curious to know what you have found out. I will pass along any info as it relates.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XFedFF View Post
    A lot of people are going to give you what they think is the right answer, some of the advise will be correct and some will be wrong. My suggestion to you is talk to firefighters at a base where this has already happened! A such base is Bangor Submarine Base in Washington State, they were Contract and went Federal. I can tell you that the Firefighters there that were older then 37 were not re-hired as federal firefighters. The chief officers that were older then 37 were offered chief officers positions or inspector positions that did not ride the trucks. Good Luck !
    What happenned to the guys that were under 37?

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    What happenned to the guys that were under 37?
    I was told by a civil service firefighter the Air Force has eliminated the age 37 restriction. I'll try to find the reg.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azfireguy View Post
    I was told by a civil service firefighter the Air Force has eliminated the age 37 restriction. I'll try to find the reg.
    good luck finding the reg that says that

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    The only thing I can find is that the job postings for civil serfice firefighter positions no longer state the applicant must be under the age of 37.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    240

    Default

    what posting are you looking at?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Colorado State BS in Fire and Emergency Services Admin
    By legendcraft in forum Career Advancement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
  2. Contract FD to Civil Services (DOD Employee)
    By FireDawg59 in forum Career/Paid Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 08:50 PM
  3. State of Connecticut Protective Services-Fire
    By KenNFD1219 in forum Connecticut
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-02-2006, 05:13 PM
  4. Right Side, Left Side, Wrong Side Driving
    By BryanLoader in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register