Forum Member

Question State Side Contract FD moving to Civil Services

Our Department is Contract Department to a state side military base. I would say about 75% prior military or retired military and the rest are local guys that met the requirements set fourth by the DOD to be firefighter.
    A few months ago we were emailed there is a possibility of us going GS in 5 years. Last weeks Union meeting we were told we are going to GS system and we may seeing the move as early as 2011, 2012 physical year.

So here we are as department pretty much sitting in the dark on what's next or what to expect. We are looking for insight on the procceeding and what to prepare for. For the guys that have been here retired or prior military that are over or nearing the civil service retirment age what can they except? And for the guys that are the young bloods in the department that have been hired in the last few years civilian or prior military what should we except?

We as department are looking for any insight on this!

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg59 View Post
    Our Department is Contract Department to a state side military base. I would say about 75% prior military or retired military and the rest are local guys that met the requirements set fourth by the DOD to be firefighter.
    A few months ago we were emailed there is a possibility of us going GS in 5 years. Last weeks Union meeting we were told we are going to GS system and we may seeing the move as early as 2011, 2012 physical year.

So here we are as department pretty much sitting in the dark on what's next or what to expect. We are looking for insight on the procceeding and what to prepare for. For the guys that have been here retired or prior military that are over or nearing the civil service retirment age what can they except? And for the guys that are the young bloods in the department that have been hired in the last few years civilian or prior military what should we except?

Thanks
    I hate to say it, but for the guys that are not military, prior military or never been permanent federal employees... they will probably lose there jobs. The Veterans or existing federal employees who apply against the jobs (once it goes gs) will be considered priority hires. Although I did hear that having firefighter DOD recognized certs at the gs 6 level or higher with outweigh a veteran with no certs. Plus the Chief might be able name select the individuals he wants to hire. I am told that if the chief wants to hire a specific person...he will get that person.

I work contract for USAF Plant 42 and I think we would lose 1/3 of our guys if we went GS.

Forum Member

A lot of people are going to give you what they think is the right answer, some of the advise will be correct and some will be wrong. My suggestion to you is talk to firefighters at a base where this has already happened! A such base is Bangor Submarine Base in Washington State, they were Contract and went Federal. I can tell you that the Firefighters there that were older then 37 were not re-hired as federal firefighters. The chief officers that were older then 37 were offered chief officers positions or inspector positions that did not ride the trucks. Good Luck !

Forum Member

Where is this contract job, Base, Installation, Fort, ETC, ?

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. The AF is keeping a tight lid on the whole thing. This all started as rumor a few months ago and being piped down little piece of info here and there. One email and then later the Union meeting stating that changes will be coming possiblity 2011-2012 and thats it. I believe on my part, its best not to name the base until its made public. Word on street, the brass is coming in the following weeks to view the fire department, and discuss the changes with base magement. Then from there word will trickle down.

I have to say, working here is no different then the being active duty. Just minus the military training side of it. But I will keep the thread updated, for future inquiries. I'm going to try and get in contact with somebody from Bangor and maybe I can have them post on the forum as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg59 View Post

Thanks
    USAF Plant 42 Fire is going civil service as well. We just recieved the news today.

I am curious to know what you have found out. I will pass along any info as it relates.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XFedFF View Post
    A lot of people are going to give you what they think is the right answer, some of the advise will be correct and some will be wrong. My suggestion to you is talk to firefighters at a base where this has already happened! A such base is Bangor Submarine Base in Washington State, they were Contract and went Federal. I can tell you that the Firefighters there that were older then 37 were not re-hired as federal firefighters. The chief officers that were older then 37 were offered chief officers positions or inspector positions that did not ride the trucks. Good Luck !
    What happenned to the guys that were under 37?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    What happenned to the guys that were under 37?
    I was told by a civil service firefighter the Air Force has eliminated the age 37 restriction. I'll try to find the reg.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by azfireguy View Post
    I was told by a civil service firefighter the Air Force has eliminated the age 37 restriction. I'll try to find the reg.
    good luck finding the reg that says that

Forum Member

The only thing I can find is that the job postings for civil serfice firefighter positions no longer state the applicant must be under the age of 37.

Forum Member

what posting are you looking at?

Thread Information