Default im in the ff dod academy in gfab

im in my third block of training and am loving every bit of it. i am in the air national guard. i will be going back home in jan and then have 60days of ojt at my base. i will grad with 7 ifsta certs and will hpefully become a real deal fire fighter. i have always wanted to do it, no it is becoming a reality. how hard is it to be a firefighter in the civilan world? any feedback?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedog1126 View Post
    im in my third block of training and am loving every bit of it. i am in the air national guard. i will be going back home in jan and then have 60days of ojt at my base. i will grad with 7 ifsta certs and will hpefully become a real deal fire fighter. i have always wanted to do it, no it is becoming a reality. how hard is it to be a firefighter in the civilan world? any feedback?

It all depends on where you want to live and if any department are taking applications for new hires.

Forum Member

Congratulations. I was AF for 7 years and another 15 as a DOD civilian. Like Jonnee said, it depends what your long term goals are. City departments are more difficult to get on. It can take a few years before you get the call. DOD departments are a little easier to get jobs at but it's still a waiting game.

EMT Basic is almost a given for either one. Alot of city departments are looking for Paramedic and an Associates Degree. The competition is tough these days. You may even find yourself going through another fire academy. It doesn't mean you've wasted your time in Texas. Every department does things a little differently.

Shoot me an e-mail if you have any other questions.

Joe

well im wanting to be a firefighter in arkansas. nw arkansas to be more specific, like you said though..its a waiting game...i might be able to go agr(active guard reserve) but that is a waiting game as well. if you have any info on how i can speed through the process, please let me know. thanks so much for your post.

john

Thread Information