MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter looking for side job.

I have been in the fire service for 10 years and ems for 15 years now. I am looking for something on the side. I have considered ID badges, but was not sure if there was a great need for this. (the good ones) I am looking for suggestions from anyone out there. I have sold fire equipment once before, I did enjoy it but with all of the online places it makes it hard anymore for that type of business. Let me know what you all think.
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Default Side job

I take it your looking for a side job that pays you . I had a side job but decided to work overtimes instead. If that is not your case I would look for jobs at a hospital. They always need emts one way or another. Since I'm retired now I work for a company that supplies com trailers for brush fires. I'm sure there will be other suggestions this is just a couple of mine.....good luck.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I know of two departments right now that are looking into getting their own card printer because we are high and dry when it comes to id badges. If you have any sources or want to get into this you could pick that up. (Me thinks they are local )....I did have a contact at East Moline PD that was doing them but I haven't been able to get ahold of them and I'm sure it was a burden for them (though I do thank them for the service).

Forum Member

Yog, keep in mind that MABAS will issuse ID's, it's been a long time coming but smartcards started at the last TRT valadiation, this will take some time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trainer View Post
    Yog, keep in mind that MABAS will issuse ID's, it's been a long time coming but smartcards started at the last TRT valadiation, this will take some time.
    trainer, do you have any more specific info on the smartcards? We've been waiting on doing anything too significant with ID cards since talk of the cards began but it's been so long I finally got some prices on an actual card system the other day. Think we should go ahead with our own department issued ID's and use both when the cards finally make their way or just save our money and wait?

Chad

PS. NIMSCAST done.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    trainer, do you have any more specific info on the smartcards? We've been waiting on doing anything too significant with ID cards since talk of the cards began but it's been so long I finally got some prices on an actual card system the other day. Think we should go ahead with our own department issued ID's and use both when the cards finally make their way or just save our money and wait?

Chad

PS. NIMSCAST done.
    x2... We are pricing systems right now and will pull the trigger unless something is in the pipes already.

Forum Member

S8ER95Z, have you looked at this one, http://store.alphacard.com/entry-fire-id-system? Have you found anything you like?

yogi, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. A lot of the guys at the nearby career department do landscaping, mowing, etc. on their days off. Several have their own businesses. A couple also part time for the private ambulance service.
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    S8ER95Z, have you looked at this one, http://store.alphacard.com/entry-fire-id-system? Have you found anything you like?

yogi, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. A lot of the guys at the nearby career department do landscaping, mowing, etc. on their days off. Several have their own businesses. A couple also part time for the private ambulance service.
    I am not on the committee but I will pass that along in case they haven't looked at it. Thank you!!!!

Forum Member

Smart and dumb cards are coming..........yea I know, been saying that for what 2 years. Now after the board meeting yesterday I still have no idea but here is what I know; I was fingerprinted for the smart cards at TRT validation in September but this one is going to take some time, background checks are involved and will be for team members and specially trained deploy-able people. My understanding of the dumb cards is that it will be tied into the new web site(maybe this month), in that you'll be able to download your info there. Now they got to talking about a blue card that Indiana is considering and I have no idea about that. If I had to issue an educated guess of when....by the end of next year it should be done, should you spend the money and buy yourself?, in these times I would have to ask why? You have waited this long, wait a little longer.

Chad...good for you on the nimscast thing, sounds like it is going to be part of any money coming from the government.

Another hot topic that came up was CDL's, license plates and safety stickers, sounds like we need all 3.

Yog....sorry about the highjack, you want to go it on your own or work for someone else? Maybe there is something on the Island for a part-timer.

Forum Member

Thanks.. we have a MABAS meeting in Morrison towards the end of the month (28th)... I will ask about this there and have the guys table the card idea for the moment. I wasn't aware that anything was in the works anytime in the near future.

Thanks again!

Forum Member

I just went through my paperwork from the meeting yesterday and it mentions something about 2011 for full implementation. I know there has been a long standing debate on the cost of the smart card.
    I should take a moment here and tell everyone that I try to relay mabas info to the best of my ability, actual/factual, and within my pay grade...so if you take stuff back to your meeting and someone says I'm FOS, please let me know, some people only hear what they want. I also do my best to research info I collect on sites like this.

Make sure to check out the NEW mabas web site, same address.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info trainer!

Quote Originally Posted by trainer View Post
    so if you take stuff back to your meeting and someone says I'm FOS....
    And I would never believe them!
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Smart/Dumb Cards

We recently had our credentialing done for our hazmat team. While I was there I talked to one of the guys from MABAS. He said that the smartcards will be done for all specialty teams and the dumb cards will debut in Feb. at the MABAS convention/meeting.

The dumb cards will be done online. You will fill in your information and after your fire chief has approved it he will send in a pic and your ID will be made. He said they are calling them "Deployment Cards" They will cost each FD approx. $4-$5 per card. That is less than what we are paying for cards now.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Darin, trip on over to the crusty site. Chief54 has a thread in progress looking for firefighters who want part-time work.

http://www.iacoj.com/modules.php?nam...062&highlight=
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Default update

I have started back in the vinyl graphic business. I did this once before successfully and was offered by someone to buy the business so I did. I am back at it and am busy already. Thanks everyone for ideas and input
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are interested in selling fire equipment, just send me an email. junior@illinoisfirestore.com
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Thread Information