Forum Member

Default 2009 FP&S submission

Surprisingly to me, 9 days 18 hrs left and i'm application number 00107. Gonna be some busy folks left these last few days.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hinesfire View Post
    Surprisingly to me, 9 days 18 hrs left and i'm application number 00107. Gonna be some busy folks left these last few days.
    FP isn't that popular overall, and most folks drop the hammer in the last week. Usually only 1700 apps. Only 2 of ours were submitted so far, rest are all still polishing, reviewing, getting approval from higher-ups etc. Also with the denials only just happening it's a quick turnaround for a project that involves more research and methodology information than the average app. I think we'll break 2000 apps again, don't think 2500 though. Hasn't been that high in a long time for FP.

MembersZone Subscriber

BC79er are you seeing any departs not applying because of the match requirement? I have haerd a few rumblings about that as well.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt;
    I am not applying for FP&S due to lack of funds for matching the grant. I am kind of disappointed but what do you do when you are told not to write any grants because there is not any money to match with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodromeo View Post
    Kurt;
    I am not applying for FP&S due to lack of funds for matching the grant. I am kind of disappointed but what do you do when you are told not to write any grants because there is not any money to match with.
    You go find a business/individual or the Chamber of Commerce and get them to agree to pay the match IF you get the grant>
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodromeo View Post
    Kurt;
    I haven't heard anyone not doing it, everyone we work with I've already convinced for the most part that we don't care about the matching at application time. If the award comes up there will be money from somewhere, whether it's a special fundraiser or solicitation of local businesses for some of the matching if not all of it. When it comes to prevention Home Depot and Lowes make a point of having the FDs around here come to the stores for the kids when they do the fire truck pencil holder project during FP Month, so between those and even smaller businesses that would love some low cost advertising something can be worked out. Performance periods are 12 months on these so one doesn't have to have the money at application time or when the award is announced so why cheat your federal tax paying residents out of their chance to get some of their money back into the community?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    I haven't heard anyone not doing it, everyone we work with I've already convinced for the most part that we don't care about the matching at application time. If the award comes up there will be money from somewhere, whether it's a special fundraiser or solicitation of local businesses for some of the matching if not all of it. When it comes to prevention Home Depot and Lowes make a point of having the FDs around here come to the stores for the kids when they do the fire truck pencil holder project during FP Month, so between those and even smaller businesses that would love some low cost advertising something can be worked out. Performance periods are 12 months on these so one doesn't have to have the money at application time or when the award is announced so why cheat your federal tax paying residents out of their chance to get some of their money back into the community?
    My point exactly. hotrodromeo, time to "educate" your Chief or administrators to a few new points about these grants or better yet, next time go get someone to agree to the match prior to application period being open and then approach your administrators with a letter in writing stating they will cover the match if successful.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

#113 today...about 1/2 hour ago.

Knox-Box system for town.

Would be nice to get awarded, but not holding my breath.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    #113 today...about 1/2 hour ago.

Knox-Box system for town.

Would be nice to get awarded, but not holding my breath.
    You got a much better shot than ACORN....

Forum Member

Not holding my breathe either. Applied for knox box system last year and got denied. Revised it and tweeked it.......still don't know if it will be awarded.

If i may ask....what did you apply for?

We put in for the secure key system for all apparatus, boxes for all commercial businesses, preplan equipment, and padlocks for all gated facilities.

Forum Member

6 secure keys, 50 surface mount boxes and 50 residential boxes. We are a tourist area looking at ways to access our seasonal properties during the off-season.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Application number 1050 submitted at 2320 hrs on 10-22-09

Forum Member

Number 1142 at 9:17 am eastern time

Forum Member

Number 1426 at 1:13pm EST.

MembersZone Subscriber

Guess I better get started.

Forum Member

Smile

Number 1566 at 2:13 ET

MembersZone Subscriber

Default #

#1684 15:00 Est

MembersZone Subscriber

1723 with an hour 51 minutes left

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Procrastinators Beware

Has anyone else ever noticed that if you wait until the last day to submit a grant you will be guaranteed to have a fire that morning? It happened to me last year and it happened again this morning. Luckily it was early and we cleared as the sun came up.

I am not sure if that is good or bad luck or if it is good or bad Karma.

Forum Member

it sure does seem like some kind of karma. Just not sure what kind. we too were busy with a fire also. the press demanded more than the fire did! was number 1779. off to the waiting room. it has such a nice atmosphere!

Forum Member

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one waiting until the last minute. Done with 34 minutes to spare. #1976. Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

#1999 @ 4:32 Est

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck to all who submitted!!

Back to the issue on the matching funds--yes, i'm a little late for this season so begin to prepare for next--since there is no match required for non-profits, why not take a good FP project to a 501(c)3 in your community and help them apply. Should have a tie to fire prevention or education--but that gives you the local chapter of the American Red Cross, YMCA, Council on Aging, and so on. Not only do they have no match--often they have volunteers who could help with the project. Added benefit to the non-profit is that they live on grant funding and every grant they receive helps to get another.

Just a thought...
    earl

Forum Member

Is there any off chance that the awards for this program would happen before May 1, 2010? Just trying to make sure we have our budgets in order. We set money aside for the match but not sure if we need to carry it over or not.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2 View Post
    Is there any off chance that the awards for this program would happen before May 1, 2010? Just trying to make sure we have our budgets in order. We set money aside for the match but not sure if we need to carry it over or not.
    Would imagine that they'll couple the Peer Review with SAFER in January/February, drop the awards through the AFG app period so figure it will be done before May, but be ready to carry it over anyway. One never knows how things will go, after all don't think anyone predicted Round 1 AFG still not to be here...

Thread Information