Thread: Elevator Keys

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Elevator Keys

Is there a website that shows you how to use elevator keys? I've never used them before and we've had several calls for elevator rescues but they are false alarms. I want to know so I don't look like an idiot on scene when it is an emergency. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd think twice about just learning to open the doors, and maybe consider a lot could go wrong and get some actual training. Many elevator installers/service companies seem to be very willing to go out and assist FD's with understanding elevator operations. While his name eludes me right now, there's one fire service author who has written a bunch on elevator jobs. I believe he's from CT (New haven or Bridgeport maybe?)

Forum Member

Shut off power FIRST! Then either use drop, nipple, z key or dipstick and open.

Viola!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I'd think twice about just learning to open the doors, and maybe consider a lot could go wrong and get some actual training. Many elevator installers/service companies seem to be very willing to go out and assist FD's with understanding elevator operations. While his name eludes me right now, there's one fire service author who has written a bunch on elevator jobs. I believe he's from CT (New haven or Bridgeport maybe?)
    There is also a Chief from the Wilmington, Delaware Fire Department (Hauselbeck or something like that.....) He may very well be retired by now, but I took his elevator class about 15 years ago and it was outstanding.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

In NY its taught in Heavy Rescue 2. Dont mess with them without proper training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    Is there a website that shows you how to use elevator keys? I've never used them before and we've had several calls for elevator rescues but they are false alarms. I want to know so I don't look like an idiot on scene when it is an emergency. Thanks.
    Send me an e-mail, I have some info for you. rescue-2@comcast.net

Forum Member

Are you looking for the "keys" that can be used to force the doors open or the FF operation key? The keys and rescue tools for a stuck elevator are something you need specific training for. There is a lot more to it than just popping open a door, that is unless you want to lose appendages.

I'll try to describe best I can how the fire service operation works with the fire service key. If I mess something up here, someone please correct me.

LOBBY FIRE SERVICE KEY
    Off = Normal operation

On: Manually puts the elevator bank into phase 1 fire recall. All cars will abort what they were doing before and return to the fire recall floor, which is where you are standing with the key. This is the same thing that would happen if one of the elevator or lobby smoke detectors activated. There are usually two recall floors, just incase the primary recall floor is the one that is on fire. Usually it is floor one and two but varies based on building design.

When in this mode, all the elevators will return to that floor and sit there with the doors open and will not move. If you turn the key back to off, it will go back to normal operation.

Bypass: Allows the elevators to return to normal service even if one of the elevator/lobby smoke detectors is still in a alarm. Hence the name, it is bypassing the alarm system's recall. This is also used to reset the elevator bank after an alarm. To reset after an alarm turn the key to bypass and then back to off and the elevator bank will return to normal operation.

ELEVATOR CAR FIRE SERVICE KEY

Off: Elevator will do whatever it is doing. If it is operating normally, it will operate normally. If it is in phase 1 recall as described above (by an alarm of the lobby key being switched to on), then it will do that and sit there.

On: Only functions when the lobby key is in the on position as well. Allows you to manually operate that elevator car. You can select whatever floor you want. Pressing the call cancel button will deselect the floors. You have to hold the DOOR CLOSE button until the door is completely shut then the car will be on the move. When the car arrives at the selected floor, the doors will not open. You have to push and hold the DOOR OPEN button to open the doors. If you let go of the DOOR OPEN button, the doors will immediately shut. This is so if the doors open and you get a face full of fire, letting go as you jump back and scream will make the doors immediately shut.

HOLD: The hold settings will hold the car at the floor you are on with the door open. You have to do this or the doors will just keep shutting when you let go of the DOOR OPEN button. Turning the key back to ON will resume your manual operation and movement of the car. Turning the key back to OFF will return the car to phase 1 recall and it will go back to the recall floor and sit there with the doors open.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. We have SOP's for elevator rescue. I know you have to cut the power and all, I was just wondering how the key was used to open the door. I don't believe any elevator repair companies have ever taught a class at our dept, I've been here for about 2 1/2 years.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Shoot, I look like an idiot trying to operate the elevator buttons sometimes...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTEThere is also a Chief from the Wilmington, Delaware Fire Department (Hauselbeck or something like that.....) He may very well be retired by now, but I took his elevator class about 15 years ago and it was outstanding.
    ][/QUOTE]

Chief Al still teaches elevators and is still on the job!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chief Al information

Chief Al Huelsenbeck is still on the job in Wilmington and teaching. You are not going to get a better guy to teach your Dept. about everything you need to know about elevators and especially what precautions are needed to keep our people safe.

Here is his contact information, used with permission of course.

bcal125@aol.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. We have SOP's for elevator rescue. I know you have to cut the power and all, I was just wondering how the key was used to open the door. I don't believe any elevator repair companies have ever taught a class at our dept, I've been here for about 2 1/2 years.
    it depends on which key it is. most are design specific and require a particular "english" to catch the mechanism, most turn like a regular key, and the half moon key works as a lever.

get out and look at your elevators, there should be an extra key in the equipment room to give you an idea which one it takes, and see if the tech for that building will come out and show you everything you wanted to know about it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire303 View Post
    Chief Al Huelsenbeck is still on the job in Wilmington and teaching. You are not going to get a better guy to teach your Dept. about everything you need to know about elevators and especially what precautions are needed to keep our people safe.

Here is his contact information, used with permission of course.

bcal125@aol.com
    Very cool, thanks for that information. I took his elevator class at the Philadelphia Fire Academy about 15 years ago, I remember it was a fantastic program and coming out with a new respect of elevators. I highly recommend that anyone who ever has the opportunity to take his class to do so!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.........

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Are you looking for the "keys" that can be used to force the doors open or the FF operation key? The keys and rescue tools for a stuck elevator are something you need specific training for. There is a lot more to it than just popping open a door, that is unless you want to lose appendages.

I'll try to describe best I can how the fire service operation works with the fire service key. If I mess something up here, someone Please Correct Me.

LOBBY FIRE SERVICE KEY
    Off = Normal operation

On: Manually puts the elevator bank into phase 1 fire recall. All cars will abort what they were doing before and return to the fire recall floor, which is where you are standing with the key. This is the same thing that would happen if one of the elevator or lobby smoke detectors activated. There are usually two recall floors, just incase the primary recall floor is the one that is on fire. Usually it is floor one and two but varies based on building design.

When in this mode, all the elevators will return to that floor and sit there with the doors open and will not move. If you turn the key back to off, it will go back to normal operation.

Bypass: Allows the elevators to return to normal service even if one of the elevator/lobby smoke detectors is still in a alarm. Hence the name, it is bypassing the alarm system's recall. This is also used to reset the elevator bank after an alarm. To reset after an alarm turn the key to bypass and then back to off and the elevator bank will return to normal operation.

ELEVATOR CAR FIRE SERVICE KEY

Off: Elevator will do whatever it is doing. If it is operating normally, it will operate normally. If it is in phase 1 recall as described above (by an alarm of the lobby key being switched to on), then it will do that and sit there.

On: Only functions when the lobby key is in the on position as well. Allows you to manually operate that elevator car. You can select whatever floor you want. Pressing the call cancel button will deselect the floors. You have to hold the DOOR CLOSE button until the door is completely shut then the car will be on the move. When the car arrives at the selected floor, the doors will not open. You have to push and hold the DOOR OPEN button to open the doors. If you let go of the DOOR OPEN button, the doors will immediately shut. This is so if the doors open and you get a face full of fire, letting go as you jump back and scream will make the doors immediately shut.

HOLD: The hold settings will hold the car at the floor you are on with the door open. You have to do this or the doors will just keep shutting when you let go of the DOOR OPEN button. Turning the key back to ON will resume your manual operation and movement of the car. Turning the key back to OFF will return the car to phase 1 recall and it will go back to the recall floor and sit there with the doors open.
    No Need Bro. Excellent Job.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Now.. if we could only weed out those people who's elevators don't go to the top floor....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

No key I know of is gonna fix that,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Bread and Butter stuff in London, but might encounter different types of lifts than you guys in the states. Most are opened with "Drop lifts key" or "spoon keys".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    No Need Bro. Excellent Job.
    Thanks. Funny thing, tallest building in our district is a house with a finished 3rd floor and we don't have elevators anywhere.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

we just opened a Dover elvator car today and found that their is a wheel to the control panel side of the car above the roof line that needed to be turned (a series of pulleys and wheels and belts up there). 1st one we came across, and should have taken pics. Our crew is fairly expirience and never ran across it before.

normally after shutting off the car power we go to the floor and open the door on the floor where we think the car is with the key. then we open the car door by pressing on the 2" x 12" metal panel with the meaty protion of our nad and the grab the edge of the door. Usally the car door opens and we let the trapped people out.

anyone else run across them before and have pics to share?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Thread Information