Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Station Dinner Table

Dont know if this has been discussed before, if so will someone show me where. We are talking about building a station dinner table. We have a few ideas but I was wondering where to start? Anyone have any suggestions or pointers? The table will have to be big enough to set 20 ff's, yes I am at a large 4 company station. Anyway thanks for the help.

MembersZone Subscriber

A lot will depend on the desires of your crews. From the standpoint of a person that's built a random variety of things, I would suggest taking your time and drawing it out. Personally, I would build the legs down the center of the table and then flare them out. I really hate banging my knees on legs when there's a large crowd at a table. Go with a more rectangular shaped table (opposed to an oval) so you can fit a person at each end. Might be neat to build the table in 2-4 sections that can be securely fastened together for a big meal, but pulled apart if you want smaller seating for an event. Let your budget help pick your wood. Go to a lumber yard and see what is offered in your area. Sometimes you might be able to pick up a really nice special order wood for a good price if it's been returned. And finally, spend the extra time finishing the table. No matter how hard your work at it, if your rush the finish it will look like a cheap table. Let it dry, sand with a fine grit, reseal and repeat.

Good luck and post some pictures of your design and table as you're working on it.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well..........

First - It MUST be Firefighter Proof, remember, we're the only people in the world who can do $10,000.00 damage to a Vacant Dumpster.

Start by going to your local Railroad Yard and scrounge up a few hundred feet of 140Lb/Yd. Steel Rail. Weld up a good Frame with that, then Down to the Shipyard for some Armor Plate for the Top. 2 inch thick Plate Steel should suffice, unless you have a guy like one that I worked with, years ago. Bill could create a Soup that carried an Acid percentage that would eat the table up in a Day..............

OK, Seriously - Keeping everyone in the loop is very important, as is keeping anyone who has something to contribute involved. I like what Firefuss said, keep 'em happy and keep it local. Good Luck.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I don't know how big your room is but....

Rule of thumb...

1) Build the table to the correct specifications.

2) Build a new station around it.

Suggestion: Be sure to leave enough room around the table for foot races.

The guys in a nearby city built their table out of wood from a demolished bowling alley's lanes. Talk about a table built to take a beating.

Talking

Just make sure it's in accord with the proper NFPA standards. That's important.

Forum Member

We have a lot of picnic style tables in our dept. Good heavy metal frames that will allow you to slide in from the end without hitting a bench brace. Benches are usually padded and covered with carpet, and the top can be laminate, or finished wood. Can easily sit 10 around one table, and as mentioned above, pull up a chair to the ends and make more room.
    The metal that sits on the floor has been set in a routed piece of wood to keep the metal from tearing up the floor.
    Works well for us, and we've been able to scrounge some extras from Parks and Rec when they were replacing some tables because the benches or tops were broken.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    Priceless!

:0

Forum Member

Saw a very nice one made from the cleaned-up and refinished remains of the lanes at the local bowling alley (which had burned down)!

Sorry, Gunnyv. I missed your previous suggestion on bowling alley wood...
    Last edited by DFDCar1; 10-15-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    If the tree that the wood was cut from was cut down before January 1, does the table still need the reflective striping on the back?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Talking Well...............

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    If the tree that the wood was cut from was cut down before January 1, does the table still need the reflective striping on the back?
    If the Wood is used in connection with the New EPA Tier 154,879,046,656.02 Emissions Rules Compliant Diesel Engine, No.

Next In Line, Please.........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

i was expecting to see table pics posted...

can those with nice dinner tables post pics of a link?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Talking Not Yet.............

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    i was expecting to see table pics posted...
    can those with nice dinner tables post pics of a link?

The OP's Table isn't done yet. First, LA had to come up and check all the Safety Standards. That was OK, but he was just leaving and SC came in for a Left Wing Political correctness check. After that, Bou showed up to see if the Table would be using any Crown FireCoach Parts. But the real Holdup is by Scarecrow who knew exactly how to put the Closely Cut pieces of wood together, but when he started to work on it, he couldn't find any Welding Rods formulated for Rock Maple. He's currently waiting for the Wooden Welding Rods...........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Exclamation

A few years back, Emergency-One was making tables for stations out of aluminum with a smoother diamond plate top. Don't think a fireman could tear this up to fast unless he got a cutter and spreader to use on it!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    ....Don't think a fireman could tear this up to fast unless he got a cutter and spreader to use on it!!
    None of those handy. "Hey guys, watch this."

Local chief has line. "Leave two bowling balls in the firehouse lounge when you go on a call. When you get back, one will be broken and the other will be missing. And no one will have any idea what happened." Truer words were never spoken.

Exclamation

It for what ever reason if it can be demolished, it will be done by a member of the fire service. I don't care what it is made of.
    Last edited by Jonnee; 10-21-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    The guys in a nearby city built their table out of wood from a demolished bowling alley's lanes. Talk about a table built to take a beating.
    I was going to suggest that. I've been looking for an old alley being torn down to try and get some. That would make a hell of a table. The length would be as long as you wanted it.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I like the Trestle Tables, I think they look good, almost tavern like, and you could custom one to the size you need. I imagine it is going to be upwards of 120 inches long and 30 inches wide if not 36.

For the table, use the floor from a 53' trailer, set it up as a bar and the "stools" should be SCBA jump seats, that should do it. Typical length and width is 48'x8'6". Plenty of room and close to impossibe to tear up. Cause if a FF can't tear it up, then a truck driver will.
    Bill Davis
    West Harrison Fire Dept
    2009 Rookie of the Year
    www.westharrisonfire.com
    IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

MembersZone Subscriber

For accessorizing a table, we took leather front pieces with members we've lost, axes, a section of hose with a nozzle all in-laid into the table and covered with a self leveling polyurethane. I wish I had a picture.

Thread Information