Default Running led lights on my pov

Alright i am 16 years old and i am training to be a firefighter through explores as well as a career center program with chief Hayes as my instructor, this may sound stupid, but i really want to know. I am a certified first responder and i have a scanner for my county, i was wondering since i am a first responder can i run green led lights on my pov, since i tend to hear calls come out around me and i usually go help. The local fire dept. know me from riding out and have no problem with me arriving on scene to lend a hand. I understand the lights are simply a courtesy light, and that i must follow all rules of the road. I was simply just curious cause it would be nice if i could have the possability of drivers pulling over so i can get to the scene faster. Yesterday was a great example i heard a call go out for a serious PI by my house, i attempted to go help but traffic was to heavy and i didn't get there in time, a 3 yr. old little girl was thrown from the vehicle and was DRT, the local fire dept. was already on a call and didn't get there in time either. I was just thinking if maybe i got there sooner maybe i could of saved that little girls life. Go head and say what u will, trust me your not going to hurt my feelings, i already know i am not a firefighter yet and i am unexperienced and probably dont desearve to use a light on my pov, i was just asking. If i can use a light on my pov how do i do it and who do i need to talk to to get it approved, thx for reading this thread i greatly apperciate it.

Forum Member

Its nice to see a well thought out question about this for once. Though I'm sure someone will make this into a big deal.

Blinking lights are regulated by state law and local department rules. Your state law may or not allow you to do it. It depends on how it is worded. Department rules must also allow you to do it. The state law might not prohibit it but your department can certainly say that Explorers can not use flashing lights. Your department may also not have any rules written about it at all, in which case it is your chief's decision most likely.

So the best thing for you to do is ask your department the same thing you asked here. They're the only ones that can accurately answer you.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanonsproby View Post
    Alright i am 16 years old and i am training to be a firefighter through explores as well as a career center program with chief Hayes as my instructor
    In all seriousness, go ask Chief Hayes (whoever he may be) and not some random guys on an Internet message board. He knows your department and your laws and you. No need to ask strangers.

Yesterday was a great example i heard a call go out for a serious PI by my house, i attempted to go help but traffic was to heavy and i didn't get there in time, a 3 yr. old little girl was thrown from the vehicle and was DRT
    That seems like an awfully flippant comment for a 16 year old... and maybe I'm just reading too much into it... But it concerns me.

MembersZone Subscriber

...this may sound stupid...
    Ya hit that one on the head.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just remember man, since you're so young you're held to closer scrutiny if something happens. Being a young driver, although your intentions are admirable, I recommend holding out for as long as possible no matter what your FD allows. No matter what the outcome, just remember, you can't help the people if you never make it there (better to get there late than never). Good luck and stay safe brother!

Back In Black

Check with your chief.

However, I don't think you should be driving with any lights or signals until you are over 18. In all honesty, it should probably be even later then that, but that's a good place to start.

The reality is that the few minutes it *might* buy you are not likely to make a difference.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Lebanonsprobie,

It sounds to me that there may be a deeper issue you are dealing with. The death of a child brings up many questions in your head about what you could have done. Trust me anyone that has been on a department for awhile has dealt with these same questions and there is that call that you can never get out of your head.

Young man, there is nothing you could have done to save that child. We as firefighters always feel there is something we could have done but sometimes there is nothing we could have done to change the outcome. It is very unfortunate this happened and even pulls on me that a 3 year old has died.

I would suggest you have a good talk with your department chaplain or someone you trust completely and get what you can off your chest.

Now for your question. In my opinion and on my department noone other than the Chief has lights on their vehicle. It is forbidden.

1st off I do not believe your insurance company is going to ceover you with lights an sirens on your vehicle even if you had an accident where you were not driving with them on and probably would not cover anyone else on the policy. Remember it is not your policy it is your parents or guardians.

Secondly, you may want to check your first responder status. In my state(I am assuming your state is Ohio) you must be 18 to be considered a first responder. Just because you have had the classes does not mean you have the cert.

Thirdly, I have been guilty of this too but please do some searching on this question on these forums. This particular one has been asked and discussed many times.

But as I said I think there is something more behind your question. It is extremely important that you talk with someone about your experience. I have been on several deaths of children and I always talk to my chaplain because I trust him completely.

Continue your education in the fire service. You seem to be very dedicated at looking at this as a career. Learn all you can but remember there are some things you can not be in control of.

Forum Member

So you're asking if we think it's OK to be a freelance emergency responder?

The answer is, "Noooooooooo."

The reasons are:

1. Probably illegal for you to run lights because
    a. You're underage and
    b. You're NOT PART OF AN EMERGENCY SERVICE.

2. Probably illegal for you to scanner hop, and maybe even to own the scanner because of 1b

3. You have no worker's comp coverage because of 1a and 1b

As far as this "DRT" crap, that is whacker terminology that I highly suggest you abandon immediately. To be that coarse about a 3-year-old child's death suggests that either you are far too heartless for this kind of work or you made the whole thing up to rationalize this goofy idea because you want rationalization for doing it despite 1a and 1b.

Clear? Crystal.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

this may sound stupid
    You think so?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Worldwide Menace

I answered your same thread in the explorers forum.

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    I answered your same thread in the explorers forum.

-Damien
    Stunning as that may be...

MembersZone Subscriber

Like all the others have said, check with your Chief.

ALSO....The Boy Scouts, who govern the Explorer posts, have a rule that explorers MAY NOT use any sort of emergency lights regardless of what the host department says. This is for insurance purposes. If something would happen, you are an EXPLORER, not a firefighter, so you would be only covered under the Boy Scouts insurance.

Check with your local Boy Scout office for the rule.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

As others have said, check with the chief. But I can almost assure you the answer will be no, for a few reasons.

1. You didnt mention being affiliated with a department. As mentioned above, you are pretty much freelancing if that be the case.

2. No individual, regardless of age or cerification level, should be able to run lights and sirens in a POV before taking some kind of emergency vehicle driver's training program. Have you?

I dont know of any department or organization that would allow explorers or cadets to run lights and sirens in POVs. It is way too much of a liability. Do your time as an explorer and then worry about this when you are a member of a department.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

If you are not licensed by the state as a first responder with a service, but passed a course as a first responder, you are still not a first responder.
    Does your state have graduated drivers licensed program-in Wisc. there are certain things young drivers can & cannot do.

What does DRT stand for? I never heard that in my neck of the woods.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ltkeith25 View Post
    If you are not licensed by the state as a first responder with a service, but passed a course as a first responder, you are still not a first responder.
    Does your state have graduated drivers licensed program-in Wisc. there are certain things young drivers can & cannot do.

What does DRT stand for? I never heard that in my neck of the woods.
    DRT stands for Dead Right There.

I have actually used the term myself. But it is not right for someone who has most likely not yet seen a dead body to use it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the definition. I googled it too and found what it stood for.
    Not the best choice of wording for a victim.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Alright i am 16 years old and i am training to be a firefighter through explores as well as a career center program with chief Hayes as my instructor, this may sound stupid, but i really want to know. I am a certified first responder and i have a scanner for my county, i was wondering since i am a first responder can i run green led lights on my pov, since i tend to hear calls come out around me and i usually go help. The local fire dept. know me from riding out and have no problem with me arriving on scene to lend a hand. I understand the lights are simply a courtesy light, and that i must follow all rules of the road. I was simply just curious cause it would be nice if i could have the possability of drivers pulling over so i can get to the scene faster. Yesterday was a great example i heard a call go out for a serious PI by my house, i attempted to go help but traffic was to heavy and i didn't get there in time, a 3 yr. old little girl was thrown from the vehicle and was DRT, the local fire dept. was already on a call and didn't get there in time either. I was just thinking if maybe i got there sooner maybe i could of saved that little girls life. Go head and say what u will, trust me your not going to hurt my feelings, i already know i am not a firefighter yet and i am unexperienced and probably dont desearve to use a light on my pov, i was just asking. If i can use a light on my pov how do i do it and who do i need to talk to to get it approved, thx for reading this thread i greatly apperciate it.

Your first priority in life as it is today is to stay in school pay more attention and learn correct grammar, sentence syntax and grow up.

When you become of age and maybe after serving the armed services for two years or so, come back and apply for a job in a paid department.

Oh, by the way, forget about the lights on your pov, If you were my kid I'd take the keys away from you for a while!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I don't know why some of you have to be so hard on this kid. He actually presented a well thought out question with reasoning and logic. As opposed to some of the more typical ones which are incompetent and useless. And he seems to be very clear that his priority is helping people, not having a bunch of cool lights (again unlike the typical kids).

While most 16yr olds with cars are out partying whenever possible, at least he's trying to do something good for his community and use his training. The least you could do is not treat the kid like dirt when you give him your opinion on the matter.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Your first priority in life as it is today is to stay in school pay more attention and learn correct grammar, sentence syntax and grow up.

Lebanonsproby- COT made some good points.

Please let me expand- You are only 16 once in your life. Be an Explorer and enjoy the experience. But you should make school, friends and growing up a priority. Just enjoy life, your family and other activities as well.

Why am I telling you this? I was in the same boat at 16, minus the lights on my POV. I knew I wanted to pursue the fire service and got my start in the Explorer program.

I wish I would have goofed off a little more and just put the career on hold as well. Please just take it easy, the fire service will always be there when you get out.

Good luck.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And............

I think this might have been mentioned, but if so, I'll reinforce it.....

You have a way to go yet. Relax a bit. The most important thing you can do at this point is LEARN. Make it a Strong, Positive, Habit to Learn something new every day.

One Lesson that I would offer is ENGLISH. You speak it, but you aren't putting it into print very well. A couple of points to consider............

Text Messaging and "The Forums" - Discussion Forums such as this one ARE NOT A TEXT MESSAGE. Different Rules apply, one of them regarding the letter "I" A small "i" Never Stands Alone, such as "i went home". Standing alone, an "I" is always Capitialized. Another is "You", the use of "u" where "You" should be is unacceptable.

In my book, and probably a lot of other folks as well, using "Textspeak" on here will identify someone as a clueless teenybopper with zero credibility.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok kid. I took you seriously when you posted this in the explorer forum but now I'm beginning to wonder if you just want attention. There was no reason to post this in 3 forums. You're 16, you're not a firefighter, relax and take advantage of the learning experience. You're only 16, you're not ready to be a "hero" because it will go to your head and you will think that you are the best person in the world. Yes were here to save people but it's because it's our job not because we want the fame that I feel you're seeking. If the incident you mentioned is really bothering you then seek the attention of a chaplain or counselor. I know those incidents are hard but this is not your answer.

Forum Member

Damn... these kids are like the Hydra from Greek Mythology... get rid of one, another pops up in its place...

A 16 year old "wannabe a hero" needs lights on his POV like a fish needs a bicycle.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And.........

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    a fish needs a bicycle.

Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

At 16 you do not have enough driving experience to be driving with emergency lights. You will end up injuring/killing yourself or someone else.

Thread Information