Default lights on my pov

Alright i am 16 years old and i am training to be a firefighter through explores as well as a career center program with chief Hayes as my instructor, this may sound stupid, but i really want to know. I am a certified first responder and i have a scanner for my county, i was wondering since i am a first responder can i run green led lights on my pov, since i tend to hear calls come out around me and i usually go help. The local fire dept. know me from riding out and have no problem with me arriving on scene to lend a hand. I understand the lights are simply a courtesy light, and that i must follow all rules of the road. I was simply just curious cause it would be nice if i could have the possability of drivers pulling over so i can get to the scene faster. Yesterday was a great example i heard a call go out for a serious PI by my house, i attempted to go help but traffic was to heavy and i didn't get there in time, a 3 yr. old little girl was thrown from the vehicle and was DRT, the local fire dept. was already on a call and didn't get there in time either. I was just thinking if maybe i got there sooner maybe i could of saved that little girls life. Go head and say what u will, trust me your not going to hurt my feelings, i already know i am not a firefighter yet and i am unexperienced and probably dont desearve to use a light on my pov, i was just asking. If i can use a light on my pov how do i do it and who do i need to talk to to get it approved, thx for reading this thread i greatly apperciate it.

Forum Member

Talking

As a legal minor I'll assume you are driving on your parents vehicle insurance.

If so check with their insurance agent as you will most likely not be covered if you are running a light. Also they do not make that much of a difference in getting to a scene quicker. Traffic doesn't just move aside to let you pass because you have a flashing light. Many don't even know what it means.

Next check with the Fire chief and see if there is a special permit required in your area to have a light. Many areas do require a permit signed by the Chief.
    Are you a member of the department? You need to be in order to be covered by liability insurance and workers comp.

Third : If the little girl was ejected in a MVC it is likely that she died as a result of traumatic injuries and there's nothing anyone could do to change the outcome.
    It sounds like you are on the right path to getting on a dept. Stay in school and get all the fire & EMS training you can to make you a more valuable member of the community.

Good luck

Forum Member

Yes, it does sound stupid.

Let me give you a clue-

You are a minor. You are a sixteen year old.

You dont need lights.

You need to get off the computer and go do your homework.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I say make another thread of this and keep doing it until some one says

YEAH KID GET SOME COOL LIGHTS!
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

You should definitely get as many lights as humanly possible on your POV even if your not on a fire dept. If possible you should figure out how to put a federal Q on your car along with a few ladders, an assortment of fire extinguishers, medical bags, pike poles, and maybe a set of irons too. Good Luck !

MembersZone Subscriber

You're 16.
    You're still learning to drive. You don't need lights to confound the matter for you.
    Hell, probably half the people out there that do have them don't need them.

Keep active with your explorer post. Don't do anything unnecessary. This is unnecessary.
    Ask your explorer post advisor or chief. They will most likely tell you "no" and that should be it for you.

Stay in school.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 10-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Forum Member

On my old department,Explorers were not supposed to respond to calls.They go to the station and are assigned rehab duties handing out drinks and snacks and then helping with take up and rehabbing the rig to teach them where everything goes.Yes,they trained with the full members but until they were 18,the Chief didn't consider them "burnable" and kept the kids out of harm's way as much as possible.
    I'd check with your Chief about lights on your vehicle but I think he'd say "No" since you aren't a full member of the department and are not 18 yet.Add to the fact that when you add the lights and siren to your insurance coverage,your rates(or your parents') WILL skyrocket due to the assumption that you will be operating at higher speeds,you might not want to go that way.
    Wait a while and see for yourself how often members that DO have L/S actually use them.That might save you some money in buying and installation as well as insurance.
    I cannot help you with how you feel about losing a child on a call.It happens in this line of work and the best I can say is talk to the Chief or someone about a CISD meeting.There should have been one called within 24 hours for the members that made that run.Don't try to handle it by yourself.

MembersZone Subscriber

This reminds me like the Family Guy episode where Peter gets CPR certified.

Leb, ask your Chief Hayes on a lesson about freelancing.

Once again i am trying to undestand where u guys r coming from, but the arrogance of some of u is blowing me away. First of all i pay for my insurance not my parents, second of all i dont freelance i only go to PI if they are seriouse i also knew that the department was on another call and they had to call in the surrounding depatments, that obviously would take a while for them to get there. I went to the call to do anything i can to make the outcome better. I AM NOT A HERO AND I NEVER WILL THINK I AM. I simply want to help, oh i did talk to chaplain but this is my 5th fatal, i guess i am some kind of black cloud or something. I come from a tough family, so unfortunately i really have no feelings anymore. I do have sympathy but thats about it. I don;t go home and cry like i probably should, instead i guess i suck it up and get back out there. Please do not give me a lecture about this being the wrong way to handle it, cause i already know that, but thats how my father taught me to be. He already did everything i have ever dreamed of doing and more on top of that. So i guess in the way he is my idle, even though he might of not been the best FF since he doesn't care about lives. He sees the people as a job not as a person, i personally am not that cold hearted but i am close. If you have any negetive comments keep them to your self remember the golden rule (if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all) Once again i respect all of you and the service that you have done for your community! STAY SAFE!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanonsproby View Post
    Once again i am trying to undestand where u guys r coming from, but the arrogance of some of u is blowing me away. First of all i pay for my insurance not my parents, second of all i dont freelance i only go to PI if they are seriouse i also knew that the department was on another call and they had to call in the surrounding depatments, that obviously would take a while for them to get there. I went to the call to do anything i can to make the outcome better. I AM NOT A HERO AND I NEVER WILL THINK I AM. I simply want to help, oh i did talk to chaplain but this is my 5th fatal, i guess i am some kind of black cloud or something. I come from a tough family, so unfortunately i really have no feelings anymore. I do have sympathy but thats about it. I don;t go home and cry like i probably should, instead i guess i suck it up and get back out there. Please do not give me a lecture about this being the wrong way to handle it, cause i already know that, but thats how my father taught me to be. He already did everything i have ever dreamed of doing and more on top of that. So i guess in the way he is my idle, even though he might of not been the best FF since he doesn't care about lives. He sees the people as a job not as a person, i personally am not that cold hearted but i am close. If you have any negetive comments keep them to your self remember the golden rule (if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all) Once again i respect all of you and the service that you have done for your community! STAY SAFE!!!!

Simply....wow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kid you admit that you know this was the wrong way to handle this so why did you bother wasting our time? And don't talk to us like were two and tell us about some "golden rule." We were all answering the question that you decided to post and yes some answered a bit more aggressively than others but your only 16. I greatly respect that you are giving back to your community and I know (being a former explorer) that kids always want to do more than they are allowed but you can't let that get to your head. You are of no help to anyone if you walk around a fire or ems call thinking you are the only one who can do anything. The fire department is about TEAMWORK.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe your dad should teach you not to worry about the lights on your truck but the books you need to study.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Honesty is one of the most important core values in the fire service.

This clown apparently now has FF 1 and 2. Somehow he became 17 as well. I'm guessing that 10/17 isn't his birthday. The two threads were started two days apart.

Here's his thread on emtlife.com:
    http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=15391
    Last edited by edpmedic; 10-19-2009 at 05:33 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this kid? He totally put down all these great firefighters on the EMS forum in addition to changing his credentials. I cannot even begin to understand this. Someone needs to warn those EMS guys!

Forum Member

OP, I am not trying to be a dick, But you should really focus on getting a better education and be more focused on getting your Certs. Asking about Blue lights/red lights etc should be the last thing to worry about. I was once in your boat before.

I quickly learned from that, I am not an FF but will seek advice shortly, I have plenty of friends etc in the EMS field, so I know what to expect I go to their firehouse from time to time and they tell me whats what on each truck etc.

I was actually told by them that I knew more then what most probies know, but that doesn't mean I am better then them, I just pay attention better I guess.

I will say this about Blue lights though, the only time that should be used is responding to the firehouse or to scene assuming the department allows it, Or you approach a MVA where no one is on sight at the time and are properly trained to handle the situation and radio over to your county township department etc, to get back up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BurningDesire View Post
    OP, I am not trying to be a dick, But you should really focus on getting a better education and be more focused on getting your Certs. Asking about Blue lights/red lights etc should be the last thing to worry about. I was once in your boat before.

I quickly learned from that, I am not an FF but will seek advice shortly, I have plenty of friends etc in the EMS field, so I know what to expect I go to their firehouse from time to time and they tell me whats what on each truck etc.

I was actually told by them that I knew more then what most probies know, but that doesn't mean I am better then them, I just pay attention better I guess.

I will say this about Blue lights though, the only time that should be used is responding to the firehouse or to scene assuming the department allows it, Or you approach a MVA where no one is on sight at the time and are properly trained to handle the situation and radio over to your county township department etc, to get back up.
    Normally I would agree with you but have you read this kids posts? He is out of his mind! I would not want him using lights or responding directly to a scene without more firemen who actually know what they are doing.

MembersZone Subscriber

He is nothing but a lying tick turd. He has no honor or integrity. I would not believe this kid, even if he told me he was lying! We don't need his type in the service, whether to be in law enforcement, Ems or the Fire Service. Maybe he could become a lawyer or politician. He needs to seek happiness elsewhere.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Alright i am 16 years old and i am training to be a firefighter through explores as well as a career center program with chief Hayes as my instructor, this may sound stupid, but i really want to know. I am a certified first responder and i have a scanner for my county, i was wondering since i am a first responder can i run green led lights on my pov, since i tend to hear calls come out around me and i usually go help. The local fire dept. know me from riding out and have no problem with me arriving on scene to lend a hand. I understand the lights are simply a courtesy light, and that i must follow all rules of the road. I was simply just curious cause it would be nice if i could have the possability of drivers pulling over so i can get to the scene faster. Yesterday was a great example i heard a call go out for a serious PI by my house, i attempted to go help but traffic was to heavy and i didn't get there in time, a 3 yr. old little girl was thrown from the vehicle and was DRT, the local fire dept. was already on a call and didn't get there in time either. I was just thinking if maybe i got there sooner maybe i could of saved that little girls life. Go head and say what u will, trust me your not going to hurt my feelings, i already know i am not a firefighter yet and i am unexperienced and probably dont desearve to use a light on my pov, i was just asking. If i can use a light on my pov how do i do it and who do i need to talk to to get it approved, thx for reading this thread i greatly apperciate it.
    Focus on school.

Forum Member

You are freelancing.....Bottom line. If you are not associated with a department and are responding to calls, you are freelancing. Around here, that would get you a free ride in a car that has a ton of lights.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lights

WIth a trunk load of material for your safety such as all those cones to mark off a safety zone then the vest. No I would say pass on the lights and wait until your under medical direction and trained staff. Your not Audie Murphy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidlj1958 View Post
    WIth a trunk load of material for your safety such as all those cones to mark off a safety zone then the vest. No I would say pass on the lights and wait until your under medical direction and trained staff. Your not Audie Murphy
    Didnt he do "Ice cream man"?
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

In my neck of the woods you have to be 18 and out of school just to get a 36 hr class in.Having lights on you vehicle is a no brainer,you can't because you are not trained as a firefighter.My dept does not allow any devices.We are a private vehicle responding to the station and thus must obey ALL traffic laws.As for the rest of your posts,you really need to be a kid and not be in so much of a hurry to grow up.Emergencies will be there once you get your head on straight.
    It's not that life is so short,it's cause you're dead for so long.

Forum Member

I've had a state permit for my POV for a year now.

Know where it's at?

In my desk drawer and that is where it will stay.

In this state, operating with lights and siren automatically makes an accident your fault. PERIOD. Why run that risk? Besides, you might save 30 seconds with a light. Why burn up brakes and such for 30 seconds?

MembersZone Subscriber

What's even more scary is that it looks like this kid isn't even on a department. I did some tracking down and he went to a vocational school to learn the stuff he did. The person he is calling chief is the instructor for the vocational classes for EMT-B and Firefighter I and II. This brings a new light to the situation, and I think he needs some serious help here. He's like those guys that dress up and act like a cop, pulls people over and they find out later he really isn't one. I think this is a whole new definition of whacker. Somebody should notify his parents. Here's the link to the school: http://www.jelcc.com/secondary_progr..._services.html

MembersZone Subscriber

i hope i didn't take this to far.

Thread Information