Default Hello from Chicago IL

Hi everyone I just signed up a day ago and I'm looking forward to learning a lot of things from the Fire Fighters here

a little background of my life, I have always Admired Fire Fighters, since i was like 10 and I have always wanted to be one. i kind of didn't know what i wanted to do before this year, i had a few options, i looked up car Mechanic and Fire Fighting, Im taking auto tech this year (senior year) and its a informative class but i don't wanna do a Career in car Mechanics. And i am Currently Looking up the process on how to become a Fire Fighter,

I am also Considering joining the usmc as a 7051(air craft fire and rescue) i know it does not train you to be a fire fighter but it would give me some basics, and set me up for college

i have a few questions, i wanna buy a 80lbs weight vest but i am hearing bad things about them, if i do buy it what exercises should i do? run? stairs? situps/pushups

I'm glad to be here

Forum Member

I commend you on your patrotism and your decision to join the Corps. I do not know about the weighted vest. I would imagine any threat to the lower back may be helped by a low back brace. However if you intend to join the Marine Corps, I wouldn't worry too much about getting into shape that would require a vest. I would worrry about doing push ups and running to get into shape for Boot unless that was what you had in mind. Whatever happens you will definately get into shape by the Marines regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I commend you on your patrotism and your decision to join the Corps. I do not know about the weighted vest. I would imagine any threat to the lower back may be helped by a low back brace. However if you intend to join the Marine Corps, I wouldn't worry too much about getting into shape that would require a vest. I would worrry about doing push ups and running to get into shape for Boot unless that was what you had in mind. Whatever happens you will definately get into shape by the Marines regardless.
    yea i need to get in shape, i am Kind of Unhealthy but i can run a mile in 6:45. do about 35 pushups and like 40 sit ups, id like to lose some fat and gain some muscle

hm just found out that the USMC is phasing out the fire crash and Rescue Mos so as of now I'm gonna join the army as a 21m (fire fighter)

it kind of sucks i was fully committed to joining the Usmc, they have a few other MOS's that i am kinda interested in, but i wouldn't want to do it for four years

Thread Information