Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default I am not to sure...

I am currently enrolled in a four year university...my senior year of highschool I wasn't to sure what I wanted to do for a living. So I went to this college...not really finding anything I want to do. I have always though about going to a school to become a firefighter but I kind of pushed it to the back of my head because I knew my parents would have a hard time understanding why I would want to do a very physical, competitive job when I could go to a University and get a nice job right out of college.

I am currently live in Wisconsin I am 18, kind of getting a little out of shape because of college ( recently started working out again ). I guess all this post is really about is I want to ask you guys what would you do in my situation? Did you ever have a chance to go to a University? I am really scared about dropping out to become a firefighter especially in the current recession where everyone seems like they can just cut FF jobs to save a couple extra bucks. Also, pretty scared about maybe dropping out and not being able to find a job. The local firefighter station in my town just had testing and there were over 120 people competing! I'f I do decide on pursuing a firefighting career what can I do to help my employment chance? Community Service? Worth going to school to get a Fire Protection/Science Degree? EMS or Paramedic Degree? I know some of these questions are posted else where but some are not and it never hurts to get some second opinions on them.

Lastly, Sorry for the wall of text =X

Forum Member

Just keep going to college and test with every fire department, if you get hired, then you can withdrawl. I know plenty of people that have done that. I don't understand people who feel like a decision needs to be made about dropping out before they get hired. Just do both... You don't even have to tell your parents you are testing. 120 competing is nothing, it is not uncommon to see 2,000.
    Last edited by TechGuy; 10-16-2009 at 01:09 PM.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Stay in college. It will never ever hurt you to have a degree and will help in a lot of cases. Do Wisconsin fire departments require EMT certification? If you so just get your EMT one summer. You don't need to get a degree in fire science at all. Study what you enjoy and if what you enjoy can get you a side job when you get hired, even better. Test while your in college and if worse comes to worst you withdrawal from school, take a leave of absence or whatever and go to the academy like techguy said.

MembersZone Subscriber

As stated already.....Stay in college!! It could be years before you get hired, and in that time you could get a 4 year degree. Stay in school and take the tests as they come up. EMT and fire classes can be completed at community colleges during the summer or nights, or even on your days off from the university if you pick your schedule right.

Plus, college is fun, it is a great experience.......parties and sorority girls

MembersZone Subscriber

I just noticed St. Paul is taking apps in the near future, no EMT needed to take the test....

Forum Member

I would keep the degree general, dont focus on fire. Getting a BA or BS in fire science will only apply to Fire jobs, maybe some fire preventions fire companies (sprinkler co.'s, etc) . What if you dont cut it? You get hurt and need a new job?

If these unfortunate instances were to occur a Fire degree isnt going to get you hired in most places.

Maybe a degree in engineering , public admin, business, etc. Alot of degrees apply to the fire service. I would say just to keep them broad and not focus on fire.

Hurricane21- When I read your posting, one thing popped into my mind-

There is an old saying, well old to me. There are those who would like to be Firefighters, then those who want to be Firefighter, then there are those who really want to be Firefigters. The people who really want to be Firefighters are the ones getting the jobs today.

Todays job maket is so competetive, you have to be hungry and want it bad. If youre not really sure or just kinda feeling it out, that fine, just 100% commited if you really want it.

As for the now, please stay in school. A degree will really help you out down the line. They dont expire and no one can take it away from you.

Forum Member

Good luck! Staying in school is the best option. Check out this site for additional info:

http://socyberty.com/work/how-to-bec...r-firefighter/

Forum Member

Forum Member

I was hired at 20 years old. If I had it to do all over again I would have gone to a 4-year college and earned my Bachelors degree. This will pay off for the rest of your life.
    The reality is that NOBODY is going to hire you at 18 years old. It is a LONG road to become a firefighter. We usually hire people who are 25-35 years old (yes, I understand that there are exceptions - I was one of them). With the recession, hiring has dramatically slowed. Take the next four years and earn your degree. When you finish at 22, begin your pursuit of a badge. Your maturity and followthtough will have increased dramatically as will your marketability.
    Take advantage of your educational opportunity now. DO NOT BLOW IT!!!!

I returned at 39 and earned my AS, Bachelors, and am now working on a Masters. I wish I did it when I was 18.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    I was hired at 20 years old. If I had it to do all over again I would have gone to a 4-year college and earned my Bachelors degree. This will pay off for the rest of your life.
    The reality is that NOBODY is going to hire you at 18 years old. It is a LONG road to become a firefighter. We usually hire people who are 25-35 years old (yes, I understand that there are exceptions - I was one of them). With the recession, hiring has dramatically slowed. Take the next four years and earn your degree. When you finish at 22, begin your pursuit of a badge. Your maturity and followthtough will have increased dramatically as will your marketability.
    Take advantage of your educational opportunity now. DO NOT BLOW IT!!!!

I returned at 39 and earned my AS, Bachelors, and am now working on a Masters. I wish I did it when I was 18.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    You could get hired at 18, but as mentioned above, you have to want it more than anything!

Forum Member

Just my advice, stay in school. I made friends in school that I will have the rest of my life. I have memories that can't and won't be dupulicated. I thought about dropping out after my sophomore year to test with my dream department in the suburbs. The Battalion Chief whom I rode out with for three years was on the interview board and later said I had a job had I gone through the oral boards. I still don't regret my decision b/c I had no where near the emotional maturity to handle the job of a firefighter. I honestly would have fallen flat on my face. I'm currently a civilian employee of a well respected fire department, but have tested unsucessfully like so many who have not made the cut. I figured if they wanted me then, why wouldn't they want me now or in a few years since I have my B.S. Fire Protection & Safety and a few years of experience in code enforcement, HAZMAT, public education, and fire investigations. Point being, stay in school and keep improving yourself in every facet of life.

Forum Member

You can want it in the worst way but your chances of getting hired at 18 are very slim. Yes, there are always exceptions.

Firecowboy, your time will come. A bachelors degree in Fire Protection is a pretty valuable thing to have. Not only will it help you get hired, but it will also help you to promote when the time is right.....

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

I joined a volunteer dept. my junior year of college and was able to take my fire class in addition to my undergrad classes. This might be something you may want to pursue. Depending on what city you are going to school at there may be close volunteer dept. you may be able to join.

Thread Information