Thread: seagrave style

Forum Member

Default seagrave style

Hey guys, I have been looking for a long time and , aside from the Fire Axe Inc. axe does anyone have any pictures of the orignal seagrave style axes? every time that I do a search for seagrave axe , the FireAxe Inc. comes up , I am looking for research and historic reasons , I have used the FireAxe and do like it but want some history .....Ive done my homework know the history , of the Collins axe and tool comp. along with others but yet to find anything ...yes tried Ebay....check it all the time under various search headings craigslist...you name it ....any ideas..does anyone have an R.King /Collins axe with the original pike point style axe head ? it is very different than anything else yes similar to the FireAxe but not exact...any help would be greatly appreciated....

Forum Member

We've had a Seagrave engine since 1972. I have no idea what a seagrave style axe is though.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Hmmm................

I'm with Bones...... I've seen a few Axes over the Years, But I've never heard of an Axe "Labeled" for a particular Apparatus Manufacturer. Not saying that it's not out there, just that I've never heard of it. Here, you have Two kinds of Axes: Flat Head and Pick Head, or, if you're really Lucky, a Forestry Rig shows up and you can play with a Double Bit.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

When we were cleaning out our old tanker to transfer equipment over to the new piece I found a "seagrave" axe buried deep inside a compartment. It's pretty interesting axe. It has a much longer pick than the standard axe. I'll try to get a picture of it later tonight.

Forum Member

The Seagrave "style " is better defined as the type of axe that was used by various dept. around the early 1900... While produced by the Collins Tool comp. It was also manufactured with permission from Collins under other names ie. R.KING , Warren...etc . It is very different than other styles of pick heads . Its carries the Seagrave style because it was used on alot of the Seagrave engines in the early days , but its not to say that the were exclusively on them .....I cant find any rock solid info just bits and pieces...so any info would be greatly appreciated.....I would love to se the pictures when you get them up and am curious if it would be for sale ....Thanks guys ..

Forum Member

Lets see some photos. I may know this ax by another name.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Capt. here is the pictures that you requested from Fire Axe Inc. The pick head axe the "sea grave axe",the 6 lb Head is mirror polished steel and measures 12" long, including the 5" Pick. cost $159.99 The flat head axe is 6 or 8 lbs. and is polished with a mirror finish. 6 lbs axe cost $159.99 and the 8 lbs. $169.99.

Hope this helps.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

I have some pictures of an R.King (Collins) axe that is very similar to the style like the Fire Axe Inc. axe and the Seagrave "type" As soon as I find them i will put them up .....Thanks again ...

Forum Member

Default Real Seagrave Axe

I have in my possession a “Seagraves Axe.” It is a very robust pick head axe. The size and weight of the head is much larger than most. The head forms a V down over the top of the handle. On this particular axe the bottom of the pick has been serrated. I am not sure if it was factor made that way or modified.

Axe is market as follows:

Manufactured By
    Collins & Co.
    Hartford
    Expressly For
    The Seagrave Co.
    Columbus Ohio

Permanently Removed

jhcon65- Please go to CaliforniaFirefighter.com, you might get some additional help there since there are some LAFD folks there.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-14-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Forum Member

Default seagrave style

Thank you for the info .... i will check out that site right now .... apparently the pictures that I have are not formatted correctly to post here .... will try some other trick to get them up so everyone can see just what Im talking about .....Again ....thanks guys, for your input ..it means alot

Forum Member

Default Pictures of...

On shift today and then traveling for a few days... So, it might be a week or so before i can get some good close ups. The Seagrave Axe is my picture on here if that helps a little. Against the better wishes of everyone here that knows I have it, I still carry it on duty.
    Welcome to Ladder World. We dont need no stinking Engines.

Forum Member

thats it... feel free to email me when you get a chance ...I have couple questions that you might be able to answer .... and any pictures that you can get would be great

Forum Member

What are your questions?

Forum Member

first , where did you find it or come to have it ? what do you know about the axes themselves? did they come on all Seagrave apparatus? what time period were they produced .... and do you know of any others that are availible... I am looking to find one for my collection I already have a few others such as Collins ,R.King, Kelly , etc.. Thanks again ...also I would love to have some pictures of it, all sides . Thanks again

Forum Member

I found mine by pure luck at an auction in the middle of nowhere. I found the Seagraves and another small pick head in a lot of tools. Thought they looked interesting and bought them. It was not until I got home and started to clean the rust off of them that I found the Seagraves markings. I have contacted several Seagraves dealers and none can seem to find me any information. I know that they were produced up until about 1925. But thats about it. I will try to get some pictures to you soon. I think the axe I have has been modified at some point.

Forum Member

thanks for the info ... there is just not alot of it out there about these tools ....

Forum Member

Found an R King on ebay. Almost had it... Got snaked at the last 2 seconds... Ebay Sucks!

Forum Member

this one ? I asked for pictures of all the sides and got this from the seller...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information