Thread: Wish List

Forum Member

Post Wish List

I'm looking for ideas for a wish list to spend about $10,000 on. What are some innovative, handy, vital things you carry on your big red tool box? The money can be spent on any fire/hazmat/ems related item we want. In the past we have purchased things like a TIC, ProPack, Struts, ect. Not looking for any gizmos that look good sitting on the truck, rather something that can be put to good use.

Thanks

Forum Member

It's really difficult to make a wish list for another department without knowing what tools you already have, what type of services you provide and what types of structures/occupancies are in your district.

Best way would probably be for your department, as a group, to sit down and brainstorm any recent incidents where a particulair tool or tool that you do not possess may have come in handy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    It's really difficult to make a wish list for another department without knowing what tools you already have, what type of services you provide and what types of structures/occupancies are in your district.

Best way would probably be for your department, as a group, to sit down and brainstorm any recent incidents where a particulair tool or tool that you do not possess may have come in handy.
    LA,

You are 100% correct. I'm just looking for ideas that I can bring to the table when we do sit down and brainfart....I mean storm. Anyway just throw some ideas out there for example the ProPack kind of a gizmo but it has its uses like car fires, foam blankets and so on. Other things we've discussed are a RIT bag, spill kits, composite cribbing

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Frankly, if you are having trouble figuring out how to spend $10K you have too much money. Seriously, in less than a minute of pondering your question, and relating it to both my career and volly FD's, I could have spent 10 times that much and not had to ask others for help in figuring out how to do it.

Donate it to MD, find a local charity you can get behind, put it in the truck replacement fund. If nothing leaps out at you as a need then don't rush out to spend it just because you can.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Frankly, if you are having trouble figuring out how to spend $10K you have too much money. Seriously, in less than a minute of pondering your question, and relating it to both my career and volly FD's, I could have spent 10 times that much and not had to ask others for help in figuring out how to do it.

Donate it to MD, find a local charity you can get behind, put it in the truck replacement fund. If nothing leaps out at you as a need then don't rush out to spend it just because you can.
    Fyred,

Trust me we could spend that and about a million more in the time it takes to sit down and eat lunch. No 10K is not a lot of money in the fire service and yes this is money that we have collected from fund raisers we have held in the community. We could put it in a truck fund (the firemen have purchased trucks in the past and donated them back to the district in this manner), we could purchase new handheld radios, theres a lot we can do with 10K and none of this is out of the question. I was just hoping to get some responses about equipment other departments have, that they have had sucess with that would fall in that 10K area.

BTW we are not rushing out to buy anything! I'll stick it in a CD and sit on it before we blow it on anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

If I were you: I'd look at the current equipment you carry on the rigs, identify what is vital to your responses, and try to replace the items which are in the oldest/worst conditions.

Another idea is extrication equipment. If you're ready for an update HURST's promo they have going right now can get you alot for a little....just an idea. Good luck!

Forum Member

First off, I would say look at firefighter safety. Do you have the basic equipment needed to pull off a RIT operation? Do you have the basic training?
    To me, that would be the first area I would address.

After that, I would look at communication needs.

Then I would look at training. Are there any materials your department may need? Are there any training props that would increase safety and effectiveness?

If you haven't spent 10K by now, can I have 1% of your budget for my FD?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    First off, I would say look at firefighter safety. Do you have the basic equipment needed to pull off a RIT operation? Do you have the basic training?
    To me, that would be the first area I would address.

After that, I would look at communication needs.

Then I would look at training. Are there any materials your department may need? Are there any training props that would increase safety and effectiveness?

If you haven't spent 10K by now, can I have 1% of your budget for my FD?
    RIT was actually something that I was considering (preloaded bag w/RIT pack)

Our District dosen't have a huge budget however we are fortunate for what we do have. This is not District money, its money raised by firemen for the dept to be used at our (as a group) discretion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe a few good rope bags, accountability boards, hand tools, good saws, like everyone else stated it is hard to know what you need when you know best what you need... We could spend 10 k easy in repairs on our pos ALF...

Forum Member

if you don't have a RIT bag, i'd get a simple RIT bag. You don't need something fancy, you need something simple and practical.

But if you are going to spend money on RIT, be proactive and replace any worn out tools, make sure everyone has accountability tags, make sure you have a board. Get personal bailout ropes. be proactive, just dont buy a bag.

Forum Member

Assuming you have all of the basics already covered, I would look into some specialized hand tools. Not the everyday stuff you see.

Depending on the number of SCBA you have, consider outfitting each unit with some type of rope bailout device. Each member doesnt need one personaly issued if they are attached to all department SCBA units.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

If you don't have them already, voice amps for the SCBAs will significantly increase your safety and communications. They are #1 on my wish list.

Forum Member

It's probably not enough, but I would look into retrofitting CAFS onto a pumper if you don't already have it.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Our rescue guys swear by the Rescue 42 stabilizers. I used them in an auto X class and they were compact and easy to set up and use.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

My wish list would be:

1. TIC
    2. Cascade compressor
    3. Ventilation saw
    4. Ventilation fan
    5. Extrication tools
    6. Personal issued SCBA masks (if you don't already do this, we do)
    7. Wildland firefighting PPE
    8. New hose or new nozzles
    9. Opticoms
    10. Safety glasses or goggles for all

That list should be under $10,000 or very close to it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

i would try to think of equipment you may need for events you don't normally have but might occur. For example in my area its tornado's never has hit my district but certainly have had tornado's hitting other towns near us. I have been trying to get equipment and training that we might need if we get hit bad. No other depts in my area are ready for it or thinking about it. They all have the " it will never happen to us" way it thinking.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And.................

There are things that you may want to avoid using money on, if it is not necessary for your situation. Someone mentioned Composite Cribbing. I run a very busy Rescue Company, using a Heavy Rescue and a Rescue Engine. Between the Two, we carry over Two Hundred pieces of Cribbing, and we've never paid a dime for any of it, it's all scrap from Construction Jobs. We cut up quite a few Cars over a year's time for training, and we save the Seat Belt Webbing for use as Handles for the Cribbing. By using Wood, you have a Disposable asset, when Wear or Contamination becomes a problem, simply dispose of it. There are a lot of other uses for Seat Belt stuff as well.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Banned

I could recommend purchasing 7 or 8 FIT-5 devices.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    There are things that you may want to avoid using money on, if it is not necessary for your situation. Someone mentioned Composite Cribbing. I run a very busy Rescue Company, using a Heavy Rescue and a Rescue Engine. Between the Two, we carry over Two Hundred pieces of Cribbing, and we've never paid a dime for any of it, it's all scrap from Construction Jobs. We cut up quite a few Cars over a year's time for training, and we save the Seat Belt Webbing for use as Handles for the Cribbing. By using Wood, you have a Disposable asset, when Wear or Contamination becomes a problem, simply dispose of it. There are a lot of other uses for Seat Belt stuff as well.....
    Well said. Remember just because you have the money don't feel the need to spend it where you may not need it.

My vote is on RIT and FF safety equipment. Also training and training equipment wouldn't be a bad investment. Knowledge is power.

I would avoid starting any new discipline. If you don't run EMS don't start. If you don't do technical rescue don't start. You may be able to cover start up cost but maintaining the new program would prove impossible.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Our rescue guys swear by the Rescue 42 stabilizers. I used them in an auto X class and they were compact and easy to set up and use.
    We carry the large set on our Rescue Squad and a smaller set on our first due engine. I really like the Rescue 42's. Very light weight, compact, and pretty much fireman proof.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Yes we use this brand and love them.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Assuming you have all of the basics already covered, I would look into some specialized hand tools. Not the everyday stuff you see.

Depending on the number of SCBA you have, consider outfitting each unit with some type of rope bailout device. Each member doesnt need one personaly issued if they are attached to all department SCBA units.
    Is this bailout device retro fitted to the SCBA or just a bailout bag attached to the harness??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    If you don't have them already, voice amps for the SCBAs will significantly increase your safety and communications. They are #1 on my wish list.
    Voice amps would be nice but not #1 on my list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Well said. Remember just because you have the money don't feel the need to spend it where you may not need it.

My vote is on RIT and FF safety equipment. Also training and training equipment wouldn't be a bad investment. Knowledge is power.

I would avoid starting any new discipline. If you don't run EMS don't start. If you don't do technical rescue don't start. You may be able to cover start up cost but maintaining the new program would prove impossible.
    Knowledge is the best tool any dept. carries..................hopefully

Fire/EMS/Rescue/Hazmat...

OH, and the cat in the tree

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    My wish list would be:

1. TIC
    2. Cascade compressor
    3. Ventilation saw
    4. Ventilation fan
    5. Extrication tools
    6. Personal issued SCBA masks (if you don't already do this, we do)
    7. Wildland firefighting PPE
    8. New hose or new nozzles
    9. Opticoms
    10. Safety glasses or goggles for all

That list should be under $10,000 or very close to it.

Wow! if you can buy all that for under 10K can I have the name of your supplier??

Sorry I think I know what you meant

Thread Information