Truckie

I was ranked #3 and didn't get an offer....
    Unfortunately this isn't uncommon where politics and career fear have turned many civil service jobs, especially the fire department, into a job corps....
    Don't give up. Despite HR's best efforts, we still manage to get some of the best of the list in time.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Default 2011/2012

Whats up everyone....... I have about one year left in the Army and am planning on a postion with the St. Paul Fire Dept. I'm currently enrolled in a EMT-B class here in El Paso, and also SCUBA qualified. My goal is to be apart of a water rescue team when I return home however, I was taken by surprise to see how difficult this process seems to be. I will be home on leave next week and would apperciate any advice on how I could get the ball rolling while home....

Thanks in advance
    SGT Jastram

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dravon View Post
    Whats up everyone....... I have about one year left in the Army and am planning on a postion with the St. Paul Fire Dept. I'm currently enrolled in a EMT-B class here in El Paso, and also SCUBA qualified. My goal is to be apart of a water rescue team when I return home however, I was taken by surprise to see how difficult this process seems to be. I will be home on leave next week and would apperciate any advice on how I could get the ball rolling while home....

Thanks in advance
    SGT Jastram
    Unless you are in the current process you may have to wait a few years. As far as SCUBA is concerned most dive rescue units actually fall under the county sheriff and many are volunteer, some are career sheriff only. Contact the county you plan on moving to. EMT-B is a good move, also consider pursuing an associates in fire protection.

Forum Member

Good to know...Thanks
    Is there anything I can do while home on leave to get things rolling with SPFD?

Forum Member

Question Letter

Morgie,

I got a letter also stating "unable to offer you a position today" so, does that mean we were going to be offered jobs if they wanted to hire 18?

Forum Member

Hey MedicPaul,

Do you have your paramedic card? I am just curious to see what kind of guys got offers for a position and those that didn't.

Forum Member

I was at the City Human Resource office today, sounds like it’s going to be awhile until the next round of hiring.

Forum Member

Dravon,

The city just put this last hiring in motion. The process started last March with the written test. This list that has been established will last anywhere from 3 - 5 years. So the best thing you can do is just prepare. Get your medic, maybe some experience if possible, and stay in shape. The when the city posts the process again apply and test.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks MNFAZER, You are 100% right. I just picked up my Fire Science 1 books yesterday, my EMT-B course starts mid Jan, and am looking at doing the volunteer thing up north until St. Paul opens up.

Forum Member

Any updates on the hiring process. How many got hired? Any word on future hirings?

Forum Member

Just let everyone know, here is the latest updates on hiring:

This information was last updated on March 29, 2011.
    14 candidates were hired on February 14, 2011 from the 2010 Firefighter Eligible List.
    The Saint Paul Fire Department is anticipating a Fall 2011 Recruit Academy.

I am not sure if they interview people again or if the choose those who got letters last time? Anybody know the process?

Forum Member

hey guys trying to follow along with the st paul thing i took the test and im in the 97.5 group with no points... what are the chances at getting an interview or job out of the deal i was really pumped when i first got my score and was then extremely disheartend to see the other ones not complaining just curious to the chance any help would be great, and good luck to everyone

Forum Member

Your chances are just fine, there should be quite a few hires off this list. I personally know a couple people in this most current class that were in the 97.5 rank.... In reality this is no more than a lottery. Are you a medic or in Medic school?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mnfazer21 View Post
    Your chances are just fine, there should be quite a few hires off this list. I personally know a couple people in this most current class that were in the 97.5 rank.... In reality this is no more than a lottery. Are you a medic or in Medic school?
    im not currently in medic school im enrolling in the fall i recently move to eagan from chaska were i was a FF for 2 years now i live in the new eagan fire station so im kinda hoping that living in the fire station might help at least if i can get an interview... at any rate i hope they call my number haha i would love nothing more that to be a st paul FF! as i know alot of other ppl feel the same

Forum Member

Default Is the City of St. Paul discriminating against Veterans?

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Unfortunately this isn't uncommon where politics and career fear have turned many civil service jobs, especially the fire department, into a job corps....
    Don't give up. Despite HR's best efforts, we still manage to get some of the best of the list in time.
    I’m not the best at math but I can clearly see based off the SPFD “Rank Eligible List”: 14 people were hired for the current academy. None from the #1 band were hired, (1) person from the #3 band was hired , (2) people from the #9 band were hired and none form the #27 band were hired. Of a total of (51) people ranked in the in the #27 band or higher, (3) were hired. Many within those top banding groups didn’t even get interviewed. How do you get an above 100 score? Veterans preference is one way. Is the City of St. Paul discriminating against Veterans in the interview process by selecting people ranked below them to interview? Is the City of St. Paul discriminating against Veterans in the hiring process if a large percentage of those in the top tiers of the “Eligible List” who got interviewed, were veterans and not selected for the academy? If only 25% of the current academy class are Veterans and Veterans potentially occupy 75% of the top four tiers on the “Eligibility List”, is the City of St. Paul discriminating against Veterans? I’m not smart enough to know but Kevin Nagel (651-259-7511) at the MN Dept of Labor would probably know.

Link to list: http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1848

Link to the Dept of Labor: http://www.humanrights.state.mn.us/e...s10_nagel.html

Regards
    EngGuy18

Forum Member

Excellent post EngGuy18. I think it is a complete injustice how SPFD is already hiring from this list. Good luck to whoever decides they want to present this any further.

Forum Member

A nice article about the first class through, and their preparation.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_18100691

Forum Member

Yeah I read that too. One thing I was questioning is that the St. Paul Fire website said 14 were hired, but the article says 12.... Did 2 not make it in? Let's hope this fall class is a bigger one... Kaiser where you at on the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mnfazer21 View Post
    Yeah I read that too. One thing I was questioning is that the St. Paul Fire website said 14 were hired, but the article says 12.... Did 2 not make it in? Let's hope this fall class is a bigger one... Kaiser where you at on the list?
    hey Fazer I'm in the 95 band. Wishing they'd give points for being patient, remaining in shape and staying out of trouble......

Forum Member

Well while you're waiting Kaiser, get your medic...... It can only help.

Forum Member

New letters went out this Friday, anyone get one?

Forum Member

for more interviews? maybe mine will come today... fingers crossed!

Forum Member

Yeah for interviews..... It sounds like they have only gotten into the 102.5 band so far..... Anyone in a different band get one?

Forum Member

I'm in the 102.5 and didn't get anything. Did letters really go out?

Forum Member

Confirmed 88 letters were sent but it only made it into the 105 band....

Thread Information