Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thrilla82 View Post
    So talking to Terry, it sounds like their still at the 102.5 band. My question is, how do you know what band you're in? I know my number on the list but dont know my band.
    Go here http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1848 find your score and that is your "band"....

Forum Member

So talking to Terry, it sounds like their still at the 102.5 band. My question is, how do you know what band you're in? I know my number on the list but dont know my band.
    That's not accurate from what I know. I know around 6 guys in the 100 band and a few others in 97.5 that got letters. Was actually present when two of them got theirs. So they have edged past the 100's but not by much. The fourth academy will definitely have guys from the 92.5-97.5 band. [Again, just from what I have gathered from people in HR, Terry and other Firemen]

Forum Member

That would be nice if that's the case. Does Saint Paul require you to live in city limits if hired or can you live anywhere in the state?

Forum Member

That would be nice if that's the case. Does Saint Paul require you to live in city limits if hired or can you live anywhere in the state?
    As far as hiring bands, it is nearly impossible to deduce where the city will get the candidates from.... They could decide to start hiring rank order, or just paramedics for a class. It really is just wait until your number is called no matter what it is..... There is not a resisdency requirement, you can live anywhere outside the city if you so choose...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Blakkmajjick View Post
    That's not accurate from what I know. I know around 6 guys in the 100 band and a few others in 97.5 that got letters. Was actually present when two of them got theirs. So they have edged past the 100's but not by much. The fourth academy will definitely have guys from the 92.5-97.5 band. [Again, just from what I have gathered from people in HR, Terry and other Firemen]
    what do you mean "edged past the 100's" I'm in the 100 band from getting 100 on the written and a 100 from finishing the physical at 2:59 but still have not received any letter for any interviews. I know everything is all based on paper but still wouldve figured theyd want to interview a firefighter with a few years of actual experience with a career department in AZ. Just frustrating if you know what I mean.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffnelson View Post
    what do you mean "edged past the 100's" I'm in the 100 band from getting 100 on the written and a 100 from finishing the physical at 2:59 but still have not received any letter for any interviews. I know everything is all based on paper but still wouldve figured theyd want to interview a firefighter with a few years of actual experience with a career department in AZ. Just frustrating if you know what I mean.
    Don't worry about what others have said, they know as much as you or I. Half the stuff is rumor and the other half it just plain false. All you can worry about is yourself, and just being patient. It sounds like the list will be extended into 2014, so there is plenty of time for more classes. Good luck!

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ffnelson View Post
    I am in the exact position you are in brother, 100% band, 5 years paid experience and I haven't heard a thing either. Just be patient, looks like several years of new classes off this same list. Enjoy your time in Arizona, it's cold in St. Paul!

Forum Member

Just thought I would see if anyone got an offer for the March class??

Forum Member

Does anyone know four sure how long this list is valid for, I am in the 97.5 band and am wondering if i have a shot or not.

Forum Member

I heard the list will be good for at least another 2 years, they're talking having another test early 2014. Granted this is all just hearsay.

Forum Member

Latest rumor..I've heard it from 3 people....there will be another application process and test this fall.
    Last edited by kaiser10; 05-09-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser10 View Post
    Latest rumor..I've heard it from 3 people....there will be another application process and test this fall.
    Not quite what is going on... they are sending letters out in the next couple of weeks for a fall class. According to Fire HR there will be approx. 4 more classes off of this list, with a test expected in 2014.

Forum Member

does anybody know how they conduct interviews? More specifically how many people do they interview for each position and how do they pick who will get an interview? I'm still holding out to get an interview and possibly the job Im in the 97.5 band and will have my paramedic by september and Im recently on another full time dept.I don't know if that will help me at this point but I would really like to move back home to MN and be on a big city FD. thanks for the input.

Forum Member

The first send out letters from a list that HR uses which then goes to fire HR typically using 3 and 1 rule, so you can figure roughly 60 or so letters go out each time they want get classed up. I really don't know how the original names are chosen. All you can do wait, and keep going on with what you are doing. I have heard there is a possibilty of a 17c class again which you would be able to apply for a lateral transfer position. Hope this helps.....

Forum Member

yeah it does thanks! I got one more question. Do they send the same people letters every time lets say someone gets 3,4 or 5 letters or is it a one and done deal. How does that 17c class work? sorry for all questions and thanks for the help again!

Forum Member

Yeah I am pretty sure people continue getting letters until they are hired or removed from the list for some other reason. 17c is just a lateral transfer provision, so you'd apply like before and if chosen I believe you go through a shortened academy.

Forum Member

I saw some mention of being 'short on medics' during the discussion. With the opening of the lateral FF/Paramedic positions for '17C' hiring, is the department still short on medics? Does this shortage lead to the newly hired medics spending most/all of their time riding ambulances?

Since I saw someone mention losing medic pay for 'bidding' on a truck. How does the station/apparatus bidding work?
    Last edited by FirefighterfromTexas; 08-21-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Forum Member

If they end up hiring from the 17c list, that should bring them back to a more normal level of paramedics the department wants. While in the pool (2 yrs) you will most likely be assigned to an Engine/Medic company. If you end up bidding for a truck you would lose your medic incentive...

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterfromTexas View Post
    I saw some mention of being 'short on medics' during the discussion. With the opening of the lateral FF/Paramedic positions for '17C' hiring, is the department still short on medics? Does this shortage lead to the newly hired medics spending most/all of their time riding ambulances?

Since I saw someone mention losing medic pay for 'bidding' on a truck. How does the station/apparatus bidding work?

Forum Member

So two years before you are assigned to a permanent station? Any ideas on how much time is engine vs. med unit? (50/50?)
    Are the med units double paramedic or medic/EMT?

Also, is there a reason they are short on personnel? High turnover? Budget layoffs?
    Last edited by FirefighterfromTexas; 08-21-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah two years before you are eligible to bid for a permanent house. They run two different styles of deployment. Some stations you have 4 people assigned to the engine/medic and all 4 go on the run. If it is an engine run you hop in that, if it is an ambo run all 4 hop in.... The other is the super medic stations. 6 people are assigned to the Engine/Medic. Each shift 2 are assigned the ambo for the whole shift and the other 4 are assigned to the engine. How often you are assigned is based on the captain on shift....

As to why they are short..... Well some has to do with attrition, and the other is the hiring of a lot of BLS recruits on this list....

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterfromTexas View Post
    So two years before you are assigned to a permanent station? Any ideas on how much time is engine vs. med unit? (50/50?)
    Are the med units double paramedic or medic/EMT?

Also, is there a reason they are short on personnel? High turnover? Budget layoffs?

Forum Member

Anyone on here had any movement as of late? This board has gone quiet for a while...

Forum Member

17C agility and interviews are next week with an academy slated to start in March. They are hiring from 10-20. After that I would imagine they would hire off the eligibilty list again next fall. I will let you know how it goes next week, PM me with any other questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mnfazer21 View Post
    As to why they are short..... Well some has to do with attrition, and the other is the hiring of a lot of BLS recruits on this list....
    What do you mean by BLS recruits?

Forum Member

I was just saying that many of the hires off of this eligibilty list have only had EMT and not Paramedic...

Forum Member

I don't talk to anyone from HR, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have heard from people who (allegedly) know people and they have told me that they are going to do one or two more classes from this current list, then re-fresh the list, re-test.

Minneapolis FD is going to begin taking applications in mid to late January.

Thread Information