Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidlj1958 View Post
    SP demands applicants have Current State of Minnesota Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification prior to date of hire. However no such demand is required for Firefighter I and Firefighter II. Likewise everyone is going to be in the 3-month academy. So why not start every new applicant from scratch as if they had no certifications what so ever. Pop out was a reference to Montgomery County MD FF's from the late 80's and early 90's who had backgrounds as firefighters and EMT-A's who conducted the challenge process while in the academy due to having such backgrounds. If they were successful they went right out to the work force and graduated with the class when everyone finished the academy. To the best of my knowledge it is no longer conducted perhaps due to improper methods and field applications of medical standards used for shortcuts.
    We want you to learn the St. Paul way of doing things and the St. Paul way only.

Forum Member

Default Spfd17

Your messages are very informative and posted under the SPFD patch. Are you an employee of the SPFD?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    You can be both a volunteer FF white being a full time FF for St. Paul
    In response to the growing trend of career firefighters being harassed by their local unions for volunteering, and increasing concerns on Capitol Hill regarding the issue, International Association of Firefighters General President Harold Schaitberger wrote a letter to Rep. Felix J. Grucci, Jr. (N.Y.) to address the issue. The letter, dated July 25, outlines the IAFF's position on union members who hold affiliation in volunteer fire companies.

"Although the IAFF has certainly fallen short of telling their locals to stop harassing their firefighters who volunteer during their off-duty hours, we are encouraged that Mr. Shaitburger's letter states that the IAFF does not support actions that would jeopardize the ability of a career firefighter to maintain active membership in volunteer organizations," said NVFC Chairman Philip C. Stittleburg.

"We look forward to working with the IAFF to address the article in their Constitution that allows firefighters to be brought up on charges simply for belonging to their local volunteer fire company.”

Article XV of the IAFF constitution says that a firefighter may be reprimanded, fined, removed from office, suspended or expelled for “advocating or encouraging any labor or any other rival organization, or acquiring or maintaining membership in any such organization including volunteer fire departments or associations.”

In recent months there have been many reports that local IAFF affiliates are threatening to take action against their members if they do not stop volunteering in their local communities. The NVFC has received reports from concerned firefighters in Maryland, Virginia, New York, California, Oregon, Washington State, Florida, and Ontario, Canada.

In his letter, Schaitburger states, "The IAFF does not support actions that would jeopardize the ability of a career firefighter to obtain or maintain active membership in a volunteer organization. This is a personal choice."
    Stittleburg added, "We hope that union leadership will make it clear that their locals should not force firefighters to choose between union membership and community service."

MembersZone Subscriber

St. Paul started taking applications today, so I thought I'd give the thread a bump. Good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Does anyone have any idea on an estimated number of applicants will be applying? Or better yet, number of applicants taking the written? Last examination numbers..?
    Thanks, good luck all!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know who the test consultant will be for the exam? Has anyone received the study guide yet?

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles byChief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=17

Forum Member

Default Minnesota EMT Reciprocity Information

Quote Originally Posted by JCCFD41 View Post
    Question... How hard is it to get resiprosity for out of state EMT in MN. Im looking at the possibility of moving back and will be applying for SPF. Just curious if anyone knows the process and how much work is involed (not that it matters, Im willing to do it).....

Thanks
    Minnesota EMS Regulatory Board reciprocity info:

http://www.emsrb.state.mn.us/reciprocity.asp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireschool View Post
    Does anyone know who the test consultant will be for the exam? Has anyone received the study guide yet?

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles byChief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=17
    Here is the link to the City HR site:
    http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?nid=1845

Forum Member

Just sent in my application, $25 application fee, as well as signed up for one of the free tutorials, now the waiting game begins. Hoping everyone that is going through the hiring process with St. Paul and is on this forum can keep in touch and keep updated! Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

SPFD17....some of the information you have given is a little off. It's ok though as you are still only a Senior in HIGH SCHOOL and will graduate this year 2010!

As far as Volunteering while being a Career firefighter for St. Paul, they have writing in their Union Contract that does not allow this. What the disciplinary action would be I do not know for sure. My guess the worse thing they could do is kick you out of their union.

As it states you do have to hold a current MN EMT Certification at the time of appointment. However, Minnesota is pretty good with reciprocity. Especially, if you have NREMT as I do believe MN EMT courses follow NREMT and give the NREMT test. Upon completion of NREMT test you get both the MN Certification and NREMT Certification. At least that is how it was about 7 years ago when I took it. Thank You to MN Truckie for the link that you can use to verify this information for sure.

Once you fill out your application and send in the $25 fee, they will then mail you the study material for the test. Who will be giving the test I couldn't tell you.

Truckie

Here is a link directly to the cities page:

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1845

Good luck. St. Paul is a great city and and a very good fire department.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MCFR28 View Post
    SPFD17....some of the information you have given is a little off. It's ok though as you are still only a Senior in HIGH SCHOOL and will graduate this year 2010!

As far as Volunteering while being a Career firefighter for St. Paul, they have writing in their Union Contract that does not allow this. What the disciplinary action would be I do not know for sure. My guess the worse thing they could do is kick you out of their union.

As it states you do have to hold a current MN EMT Certification at the time of appointment. However, Minnesota is pretty good with reciprocity. Especially, if you have NREMT as I do believe MN EMT courses follow NREMT and give the NREMT test. Upon completion of NREMT test you get both the MN Certification and NREMT Certification. At least that is how it was about 7 years ago when I took it. Thank You to MN Truckie for the link that you can use to verify this information for sure.

Once you fill out your application and send in the $25 fee, they will then mail you the study material for the test. Who will be giving the test I couldn't tell you.

Senior in High School? I'm a young guy but not that young! Best of luck to you SPFD17.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF173 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea on an estimated number of applicants will be applying? Or better yet, number of applicants taking the written? Last examination numbers..?
    Thanks, good luck all!
    Last time around there were just over 2,000 applicants and 1,800 and some odd people actually taking the written exam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWest View Post
    Last time around there were just over 2,000 applicants and 1,800 and some odd people actually taking the written exam.
    Ok thanks AdamWest. So did you apply for and go through the process for St. Paul this past hiring?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok thanks AdamWest. So did you apply for and go through the process for St. Paul this past hiring?
    I did, it was the first fire test I ever took. Hope to do better this time around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWest View Post
    I did, it was the first fire test I ever took. Hope to do better this time around.
    Ah I see. Any big tips for us that this is our first fire test? Never tested/applied for a department before, I'm fresh out of high school. I'm working out at the gym 5-6 times a week, also made a bunch of "homemade" exercises that are replicas of the physical test, and on top of that am running a ton! Anything else I could be doing?
    Thanks, hoping you can help.

Forum Member

Ah I see. Any big tips for us that this is our first fire test? Never tested/applied for a department before, I'm fresh out of high school. I'm working out at the gym 5-6 times a week, also made a bunch of "homemade" exercises that are replicas of the physical test, and on top of that am running a ton! Anything else I could be doing?
    Thanks, hoping you can help.
    Every effort should be made to attend as many of the tutorial session and physical sessions that the city provides. Attend as many as the city will let you. You will learn a lot by attending the sessions and learn areas you need to work on.

The city lists sessions on there site: http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1845

Forum Member

Received my testing packet and it looks like they chose to go with E.B Jacobs FSBA. Good luck all....

Forum Member

Default Informational Forum

Saint Paul Fire is having an informational forum on January 9th, 2010 from 1:00 - 3:00 PM.

Arlington High School
    1495 Rice Street
    Saint Paul, MN 55117

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?nid=1845

Forum Member

There is also a second St. Paul Fire Department forum on January 12, 6:00pm-8:00pm.

Central High School
    275 N. Lexington Pkwy
    Saint Paul, MN 55104

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1845

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MCFR28 View Post

The info forum I attended on the 9th of Jan. was also attended by Chief Butler, and the volunteering question was asked. Chief Butler responded that is was allowed to volunteer and still be a FT FF with St. Paul. From talking to people I know, the IAFF voted the "no volunteering" (if you will) clause out of their contracts. You are right about the EMT, I took the test last year, and MN won't issue a card until you pass the NREMT, so upon passing the NR, I got an NREMT and a Minnesota EMSRB card.

Forum Member

Here is a link to the Memorandum of Understanding from Saint Paul Firefighters Local 21s contract about Volunteering.

http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=10943

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Resident Preference

So there is or is not 5 points given to residents? The pdf online says there is but this forum says that it is in the process of a city council vote?

Any ideas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankbarnes166 View Post
    So there is or is not 5 points given to residents? The pdf online says there is but this forum says that it is in the process of a city council vote?

Any ideas?
    Yes, they ARE giving 5 Residency Points. This is from the Job Announcement:

Residency Points: Applicants who live in Saint Paul on the application deadline, AND have lived in the City for one year prior to the application deadline, will receive 5 additional points on their final passing score. Documentation will be requested at the time of the physical performance exam.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question....

I just submited my application to SPFD and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if all goes well with the written test and I was invited back for the physical agility if the SPFD would except a CPAT certification that is less than 6 months old instead of taking their PA?

The reason I ask is Im being confident I will make it through the steps, but I live in Virginia and if I could provide a copy of a current CPAT cert and they except it, it would save me at least one round trip plane ticket.

If not I will do what I have to do to make it up there of course.

Thread Information