Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWest View Post
    I did, it was the first fire test I ever took. Hope to do better this time around.
    Ah I see. Any big tips for us that this is our first fire test? Never tested/applied for a department before, I'm fresh out of high school. I'm working out at the gym 5-6 times a week, also made a bunch of "homemade" exercises that are replicas of the physical test, and on top of that am running a ton! Anything else I could be doing?
    Thanks, hoping you can help.

Quote Originally Posted by FF173 View Post
    Ah I see. Any big tips for us that this is our first fire test? Never tested/applied for a department before, I'm fresh out of high school. I'm working out at the gym 5-6 times a week, also made a bunch of "homemade" exercises that are replicas of the physical test, and on top of that am running a ton! Anything else I could be doing?
    Thanks, hoping you can help.
    Every effort should be made to attend as many of the tutorial session and physical sessions that the city provides. Attend as many as the city will let you. You will learn a lot by attending the sessions and learn areas you need to work on.

The city lists sessions on there site: http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1845

Forum Member

Received my testing packet and it looks like they chose to go with E.B Jacobs FSBA. Good luck all....

Default Informational Forum

Saint Paul Fire is having an informational forum on January 9th, 2010 from 1:00 - 3:00 PM.

Arlington High School
    1495 Rice Street
    Saint Paul, MN 55117

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?nid=1845

Forum Member

There is also a second St. Paul Fire Department forum on January 12, 6:00pm-8:00pm.

Central High School
    275 N. Lexington Pkwy
    Saint Paul, MN 55104

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1845

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MCFR28 View Post
    SPFD17....some of the information you have given is a little off. It's ok though as you are still only a Senior in HIGH SCHOOL and will graduate this year 2010!

As far as Volunteering while being a Career firefighter for St. Paul, they have writing in their Union Contract that does not allow this. What the disciplinary action would be I do not know for sure. My guess the worse thing they could do is kick you out of their union.

As it states you do have to hold a current MN EMT Certification at the time of appointment. However, Minnesota is pretty good with reciprocity. Especially, if you have NREMT as I do believe MN EMT courses follow NREMT and give the NREMT test. Upon completion of NREMT test you get both the MN Certification and NREMT Certification. At least that is how it was about 7 years ago when I took it. Thank You to MN Truckie for the link that you can use to verify this information for sure.

Once you fill out your application and send in the $25 fee, they will then mail you the study material for the test. Who will be giving the test I couldn't tell you.

The info forum I attended on the 9th of Jan. was also attended by Chief Butler, and the volunteering question was asked. Chief Butler responded that is was allowed to volunteer and still be a FT FF with St. Paul. From talking to people I know, the IAFF voted the "no volunteering" (if you will) clause out of their contracts. You are right about the EMT, I took the test last year, and MN won't issue a card until you pass the NREMT, so upon passing the NR, I got an NREMT and a Minnesota EMSRB card.

Here is a link to the Memorandum of Understanding from Saint Paul Firefighters Local 21s contract about Volunteering.

http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=10943

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Resident Preference

So there is or is not 5 points given to residents? The pdf online says there is but this forum says that it is in the process of a city council vote?

Any ideas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankbarnes166 View Post
    So there is or is not 5 points given to residents? The pdf online says there is but this forum says that it is in the process of a city council vote?

Any ideas?
    Yes, they ARE giving 5 Residency Points. This is from the Job Announcement:

Residency Points: Applicants who live in Saint Paul on the application deadline, AND have lived in the City for one year prior to the application deadline, will receive 5 additional points on their final passing score. Documentation will be requested at the time of the physical performance exam.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question....

I just submited my application to SPFD and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if all goes well with the written test and I was invited back for the physical agility if the SPFD would except a CPAT certification that is less than 6 months old instead of taking their PA?

The reason I ask is Im being confident I will make it through the steps, but I live in Virginia and if I could provide a copy of a current CPAT cert and they except it, it would save me at least one round trip plane ticket.

If not I will do what I have to do to make it up there of course.

Forum Member

As far as I understand, they will not accept any previous CPAT certifications. You must be present for the Physical Abilities.

Forum Member

Default Recommended reading?

After getting the assessment prep guide can anyone suggest any further reading or sample test questions that follow the same testing outlines as the EB Jacobs test? Ive looked on Amazon etc but the books on there could be a complete waste of time as they may follow a completley different line in assessment. Anyone out there found anything similar?!?!?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dantask View Post
    After getting the assessment prep guide can anyone suggest any further reading or sample test questions that follow the same testing outlines as the EB Jacobs test? Ive looked on Amazon etc but the books on there could be a complete waste of time as they may follow a completley different line in assessment. Anyone out there found anything similar?!?!?
    I haven't heard of any books that will relate to St. Paul's test but I've heard the Written Exam tutorials really help out! Also, at the tutorials they give a practice test and go through the test step by step, from what I hear.

Default Application Deadline

Deadline to submit an application for Firefighter is Friday, January 29, 2010, @ 4:30 p.m.

Applications can be submitted online by clicking on the link below.

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1845

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Test - List

I'm out of state and am not a vet. Any guys already on-line have an idea if it is worth it to make the trip. Let's say i score a 95 on the test, will i still be so far back that I wouldn't have a shot?

I know there are several variables that go into play but I would appreciate it if someone could talk me through what they know about the process.

I have read the thread and saw how many people applied last go in 2005. Seems like a long lasting list if they test every five years. I read on the brochure that the list will last up to 3 years.

How many did they hire from the last list? What are projections for the next list. Is the department young, old?

I have submitted my app but am going to wait to see if i can get some responses before i pay my fee. The reason I am asking so many questions is because travel to MN is expensive from my current location.

Thanks Ya'll
    Last edited by frankbarnes166; 01-29-2010 at 02:34 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm out of state and am not a vet. Any guys already on-line have an idea if it is worth it to make the trip. Let's say i score a 95 on the test, will i still be so far back that I wouldn't have a shot?

I know there are several variables that go into play but I would appreciate it if someone could talk me through what they know about the process.

I have read the thread and saw how many people applied last go in 2005. Seems like a long lasting list if they test every five years. I read on the brochure that the list will last up to 3 years.

How many did they hire from the last list? What are projections for the next list. Is the department young, old?

I have submitted my app but am going to wait to see if i can get some responses before i pay my fee. The reason I am asking so many questions is because travel to MN is expensive from my current location.

Thanks Ya'll
    If you really want it, it's always worth the trip. Hopefully you got your fee in by the deadline today.

As for your rank on the list, it's not only your written score but also your physical test score that determines your rank. They take your written score (with whatever Veterans or Residency points you may or may not have had) and average that with your physical test score. That average score determines your placement on the hiring list.

Example: Last time around I scored an 85 on my written and a 90 on my physical for a final score of 87.5. That put me pretty far down the list (in the 500's). But at least the experience is helping me to feel much better prepared this time around!

Out of curiosity, where exactly are you from?

Forum Member

If you really want it, it's always worth the trip. Hopefully you got your fee in by the deadline today.

As for your rank on the list, it's not only your written score but also your physical test score that determines your rank. They take your written score (with whatever Veterans or Residency points you may or may not have had) and average that with your physical test score. That average score determines your placement on the hiring list.

Example: Last time around I scored an 85 on my written and a 90 on my physical for a final score of 87.5. That put me pretty far down the list (in the 500's). But at least the experience is helping me to feel much better prepared this time around!

AdamWest also out of curiosity, how much did you study for the written and "work" for the physical to get those scores? I've been working incredibly hard for the physical every day, but haven't done a thing for the written yet besides attending a Written Info. Forum coming up! And based on your previous experience testing for St. Paul, what range would you say to score within to get a "guaranteed shot" or "pretty good shot" of getting on... (top 100, top 50, etc.)??
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't say I was very well prepared. It was the first test I had ever taken and I really didn't know what to expect. As for what scores would get you a "guaranteed-shot", I couldn't say. Just take advantage of the prep opportunities and do your best. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Ya'll
    Its all about how bad you want the job. If you dont try you will never get a chance. Yeah odds on getting the job are low but if you dont make the trip and take the test your odds will be ZERO!!

Im making the trip up from Virginia to take the test and going ahead and getting my NREMT out of the way ASAP just incase Im lucky enough to get a job offer.

Like I said if you want the job bad enough you will do what you have to do to make it happen.

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

How many names did they burn through the last list? Do they run a CPAT? What time do you have to get in order to ensure a 100% on the physical portion? The reason I ask so many questions is while St Paul seems like a great dept, I'm not a 100% sure i would want to relocate my family to MN.

Thread Information