Forum Member

As far as I understand, they will not accept any previous CPAT certifications. You must be present for the Physical Abilities.

Forum Member

Default Recommended reading?

After getting the assessment prep guide can anyone suggest any further reading or sample test questions that follow the same testing outlines as the EB Jacobs test? Ive looked on Amazon etc but the books on there could be a complete waste of time as they may follow a completley different line in assessment. Anyone out there found anything similar?!?!?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dantask View Post
    After getting the assessment prep guide can anyone suggest any further reading or sample test questions that follow the same testing outlines as the EB Jacobs test? Ive looked on Amazon etc but the books on there could be a complete waste of time as they may follow a completley different line in assessment. Anyone out there found anything similar?!?!?
    I haven't heard of any books that will relate to St. Paul's test but I've heard the Written Exam tutorials really help out! Also, at the tutorials they give a practice test and go through the test step by step, from what I hear.

Forum Member

Default Application Deadline

Deadline to submit an application for Firefighter is Friday, January 29, 2010, @ 4:30 p.m.

Applications can be submitted online by clicking on the link below.

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1845

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Test - List

I'm out of state and am not a vet. Any guys already on-line have an idea if it is worth it to make the trip. Let's say i score a 95 on the test, will i still be so far back that I wouldn't have a shot?

I know there are several variables that go into play but I would appreciate it if someone could talk me through what they know about the process.

I have read the thread and saw how many people applied last go in 2005. Seems like a long lasting list if they test every five years. I read on the brochure that the list will last up to 3 years.

How many did they hire from the last list? What are projections for the next list. Is the department young, old?

I have submitted my app but am going to wait to see if i can get some responses before i pay my fee. The reason I am asking so many questions is because travel to MN is expensive from my current location.

Thanks Ya'll
    Last edited by frankbarnes166; 01-29-2010 at 02:34 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by frankbarnes166 View Post
    I'm out of state and am not a vet. Any guys already on-line have an idea if it is worth it to make the trip. Let's say i score a 95 on the test, will i still be so far back that I wouldn't have a shot?

I know there are several variables that go into play but I would appreciate it if someone could talk me through what they know about the process.

I have read the thread and saw how many people applied last go in 2005. Seems like a long lasting list if they test every five years. I read on the brochure that the list will last up to 3 years.

How many did they hire from the last list? What are projections for the next list. Is the department young, old?

I have submitted my app but am going to wait to see if i can get some responses before i pay my fee. The reason I am asking so many questions is because travel to MN is expensive from my current location.

Thanks Ya'll
    If you really want it, it's always worth the trip. Hopefully you got your fee in by the deadline today.

As for your rank on the list, it's not only your written score but also your physical test score that determines your rank. They take your written score (with whatever Veterans or Residency points you may or may not have had) and average that with your physical test score. That average score determines your placement on the hiring list.

Example: Last time around I scored an 85 on my written and a 90 on my physical for a final score of 87.5. That put me pretty far down the list (in the 500's). But at least the experience is helping me to feel much better prepared this time around!

Out of curiosity, where exactly are you from?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWest View Post
    If you really want it, it's always worth the trip. Hopefully you got your fee in by the deadline today.

As for your rank on the list, it's not only your written score but also your physical test score that determines your rank. They take your written score (with whatever Veterans or Residency points you may or may not have had) and average that with your physical test score. That average score determines your placement on the hiring list.

Example: Last time around I scored an 85 on my written and a 90 on my physical for a final score of 87.5. That put me pretty far down the list (in the 500's). But at least the experience is helping me to feel much better prepared this time around!

AdamWest also out of curiosity, how much did you study for the written and "work" for the physical to get those scores? I've been working incredibly hard for the physical every day, but haven't done a thing for the written yet besides attending a Written Info. Forum coming up! And based on your previous experience testing for St. Paul, what range would you say to score within to get a "guaranteed shot" or "pretty good shot" of getting on... (top 100, top 50, etc.)??
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't say I was very well prepared. It was the first test I had ever taken and I really didn't know what to expect. As for what scores would get you a "guaranteed-shot", I couldn't say. Just take advantage of the prep opportunities and do your best. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Ya'll
    Its all about how bad you want the job. If you dont try you will never get a chance. Yeah odds on getting the job are low but if you dont make the trip and take the test your odds will be ZERO!!

Im making the trip up from Virginia to take the test and going ahead and getting my NREMT out of the way ASAP just incase Im lucky enough to get a job offer.

Like I said if you want the job bad enough you will do what you have to do to make it happen.

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWest View Post

How many names did they burn through the last list? Do they run a CPAT? What time do you have to get in order to ensure a 100% on the physical portion? The reason I ask so many questions is while St Paul seems like a great dept, I'm not a 100% sure i would want to relocate my family to MN.

MembersZone Subscriber

How many names did they burn through the last list? Do they run a CPAT? What time do you have to get in order to ensure a 100% on the physical portion? The reason I ask so many questions is while St Paul seems like a great dept, I'm not a 100% sure i would want to relocate my family to MN.
    Frank,

I can answer some of your questions because I called and asked the same ones. They do not do the CPAT and do not except CPAT Certificates like some departments do. The time limit for the physical test is 7 minutes, the faster you get it done the better your overall score will be.

Look here fore more info...

http://ci.stpaul.mn.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=9221

http://ci.stpaul.mn.us/index.aspx?NID=1845

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info! I'm curious what the max time is, ie what time do you need to score a 100% on this portion?

Truckie

I believe they increased it to 3 min 30 sec or less for a 100%.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Thanks for the info! I'm curious what the max time is, ie what time do you need to score a 100% on this portion?
    3 minutes 30 seconds is correct, for 100%.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF173 View Post
    3 minutes 30 seconds is correct, for 100%.
    That MOVING for a test you cant run in!!! Looks like I just set myself a goal! LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCCFD41 View Post
    That MOVING for a test you cant run in!!! Looks like I just set myself a goal! LOL
    That's exactly what I said when I found out it was 3:30, there's my goal and I'm settling for nothing less. That written though, I was reading through the packet they sent us, seems like a weird test. Although I've never taken a Fire test before, this will be my first.

MembersZone Subscriber

The kaizer sled is the hardest to replicate in the gym. It's all about shuffling your feet back and keeping them about 8 to 12 inches behind the sled at all times.

Forum Member

Does anyone care to share good workout routines, exercises, etc. to work on specifically for the St. Paul Physical from testing with them in the past?
    Last edited by FF173; 01-30-2010 at 08:15 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF173 View Post
    That's exactly what I said when I found out it was 3:30, there's my goal and I'm settling for nothing less. That written though, I was reading through the packet they sent us, seems like a weird test. Although I've never taken a Fire test before, this will be my first.
    We take a similar test at work annually and I think the quickest its been done is around 5 minutes. Only thing different is a forcible entry simulator and a ceiling breach and pull.. Going to be interesting how quick SPFD's test can be done!

Im looking forward to it!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCCFD41 View Post
    We take a similar test at work annually and I think the quickest its been done is around 5 minutes. Only thing different is a forcible entry simulator and a ceiling breach and pull.. Going to be interesting how quick SPFD's test can be done!

Im looking forward to it!!
    Yeah, getting 3:30 wont be easy but it's definitely possible!

MembersZone Subscriber

I was on the last list for the duration. I was given a conditional offer in October but declined to take a position at another department.

My origional ranking in 2005 was 55th overall and tied with 110 others. I scored a 100 on the physical and a 89.5 on the written. My written was rounded to the nearest whole number (in my case 90). So my average score was a 95. That was good for 55th overall. Everyone that scored an 85 to 90 on the written and got 100 on the physical was tied with me. I was asked to send in backround info in 2008 but did not recieve an interview. I was asked again in summer of 09 to send info in and recieved an interview. I heard they interviewed around 50 for the current class and hired at least 22. Its a long process but definatly a test worth taking. I strongly believe that you must score at least a combined score of 95 to have a chance. The only exception would be if you have militery points, residency points or are a person of a protected class.

Hope this helps someone. Any other q's let me know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by residents View Post
    I was on the last list for the duration. I was given a conditional offer in October but declined to take a position at another department.

My origional ranking in 2005 was 55th overall and tied with 110 others. I scored a 100 on the physical and a 89.5 on the written. My written was rounded to the nearest whole number (in my case 90). So my average score was a 95. That was good for 55th overall. Everyone that scored an 85 to 90 on the written and got 100 on the physical was tied with me. I was asked to send in backround info in 2008 but did not recieve an interview. I was asked again in summer of 09 to send info in and recieved an interview. I heard they interviewed around 50 for the current class and hired at least 22. Its a long process but definatly a test worth taking. I strongly believe that you must score at least a combined score of 95 to have a chance. The only exception would be if you have militery points, residency points or are a person of a protected class.

Hope this helps someone. Any other q's let me know.

Residents, just curious as to what you did for the Written? I think I'm doing everything I can to get 100% on the physical. Any tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Perfect man that is exactly what i was looking for. Is the interview an oral board or a background/poly interview?

MembersZone Subscriber

At that time the written test was a by a company called CWH. Not sure if they will use that again but if they do its a hard test to study for because it was mostly a pshycological test. Test was around 150 questions and took about 3 hours. I had taken it before other places so I was familiar with it.

The interview was a panel of two firefighters, a human resources person and a civil service person. After the conditional offer i went back for a psyc. and backround interview at an office in minneapolis.

MembersZone Subscriber

So I just got denied from another dept because of two underage drinking tickets i received 7 years ago. Does anyone know what the policy is at Saint Paul on this sort of thing? I was gonna call HR but thought i'd ask here first.

Thread Information