+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 First ... 3456789 ... Last
    Forum Member

Does anyone know how many St. Paul is actually planning on hiring?

I also recieved a 100 on my written test. And can guarantee a 100 on my physical test, I am attempting to actually have the fastest overall physical test.

Forum Member

If you feel you wont get hired go ahead and quit! It gives the rest of us a better chance of getting hired.
    Last edited by FF173; 04-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Forum Member

didnt say i was quitting i was just stating an opinion after taking in all the facts with regards to how many peoploe scored highly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmine109 View Post
    Does anyone know how many St. Paul is actually planning on hiring?

I also recieved a 100 on my written test. And can guarantee a 100 on my physical test, I am attempting to actually have the fastest overall physical test.
    Wow you're awesome. I'm going for 3:29!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dantask View Post
    didnt say i was quitting i was just stating an opinion after taking in all the facts with regards to how many peoploe scored highly.
    Not going to lie, it is going to be tough, but I wouldn't quit. If nothing else, it is valuable experience for testing another at another dept.

I got a 95 on my test and I have Vets w/disability points, even if I get a 100 on the PT, I still think I will probably be in the 40-60 range...and even that is optimistic. That test really screwed a lot of people in my opinion.

At the same time though, St. Paul is looking for people they can mold to their way, they are looking for a certain type of person. While that test really didn't weed out a whole bunch of people, I think they designed it so they have a larger pool (read minorities) to choose from. SPFD is a great department and I feel can take ALMOST anybody and turn them into a firefighter. I'm not a racist/sexist by any means, but I think SPFD (the city, HR, and staff...not necessarily rank and file) are striving to look good and boost their minority numbers. I'm all for giving the job to the right person as long as they have earned the job and can do the job...regardless of their race, sex, color, or creed. I don't want them to get the job because they scored higher on a very easy test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFinIA View Post
    I got a 95 on my test and I have Vets w/disability points, even if I get a 100 on the PT, I still think I will probably be in the 40-60 range...and even that is optimistic. That test really screwed a lot of people in my opinion.
    I would guess you're going to be much higher than the 40-60 range if you get a 100 on the PT. I have a hard time imagining more than a handful of people that scored high on both tests, and have 10 points.

Word is, this list is good for 5 years, they anticipate hiring 40-50 in 2010.
    Anyone who scored a 95-100 is in the top 100, a tie-breaker could be handled by making the scoring more specific.

Also, if a job offer is made, there is a psych test and background test. The psych test will most likely clear out some of the top 100.
    However, due to the heavy psych portion of the written and the number of candidates who scored in the 100's, it may not.

It will be interesting to see.

Forum Member

Since the physical practice has started, how is everyone doing? Is it harder, easier, or exactly what you thought it would be?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ryancross11 View Post
    Since the physical practice has started, how is everyone doing? Is it harder, easier, or exactly what you thought it would be?
    I was timed at 3:05 I didn't think it was too bad, the Keiser is kind of a b*tch, though. There were some guys that looked like they were going to die when they were done, but if you're in any kind of decent shape you should do just fine.

Forum Member

The Keiser is a b*tch. I had mine yesterday 3:09. I didnt have much left when i did the Keiser, but I think i was dragging the dummy a little wrong by not locking my arms (which might have tired them out). I think your exactly right, if your in any kind of shape or atleast can go hard for 3min you should be fine. I didnt get to see anyone else do it yesterday... so i thought i would ask.
    Transition phase is key.
    Good luck everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

PPT Anyone test yet???????????

Forum Member

Default Time

3:03 Anyone else?

Forum Member

3:18 here...it is a 100, but I felt really slow. As soon as I grabbed the dummy, I started to slow down. I don't know if my grip was off or if I was just drained all of a sudden. Got a 3:05 on the practice, just must have been off a bit on test day. Oh well, 100 is 100. Good luck to all!

Forum Member

Agility results are out on the cities website now. Roughly 4 weeks until we receive our letters. Good luck all!

MembersZone Subscriber

The List is out!!!

Forum Member

Have you received your letter yet? Will the letter further breakdown where exactly you fall on the list??

Forum Member

Question Spfd 17

What are the chances at 111? Do you have any more information on how many are going to be hired?

Forum Member

Needless to say, I am pretty f-ing pumped. I'm #1 with 4 other people. I was pretty nervous when the letter came, I had no idea I would be that high, I thought for sure in the 20-40 range. I'm pretty lucky, blessed, and thankful considering how many people applied/tested. By no means does this mean I have the job, but I am glad my hard work paid off. Now I just need to nail the interview, get an offer, and do well in the academy (the hard part). Good luck guys. For those who didn't do as well, all I can say is keep trying. I've tested at 12 different places and this is my first time at the top. Apply every where and keep working hard. Duluth, Roch, South Metro, Minneapolis, all will be testing soon I bet, so there are plenty of options out there.

Forum Member

So has anybody heard about anything further in the process?

Forum Member

All I've gotten was the letter. I think it's just a waiting game now.

Forum Member

They changed the list for some of the vets. Check the website. Anyone heard how many they're looking to hire? I've heard rumors but that's all they are is rumors
    Last edited by cpldunlap; 07-28-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cpldunlap View Post
    They changed the list for some of the vets. Check the website. Anyone heard how many they're looking to hire? I've heard rumors but that's all they are is rumors

I heard 70, but haven't read or heard anything official from the city. I bet we don't ever know until they refresh the 2010 list. Like you said, rumors.

Forum Member

Yeah nothing but rumors here, I think a lot has to do with potential retirements. Hey Cpldunlap what is your overal ranking??

Forum Member

This is a great list to be on! There are going to be 2 HUGE classes that are going to be retiring within the next 2-3 years that will open up a lot of spots. Also, a good number of guys are promoting to Captain and FEO (driver) that will also open some spots on the department.
    I personally will not be getting hired off this list, ended up landing #385 on the list. But hey its my first time through the process. I plan on enlisting for 4 years in the military, come back and move to St. Paul, get my 5 vets and 5 residency and getting a dang near sure shot of getting hired next time around!

Good luck to all!
    Last edited by FF173; 07-29-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Forum Member

I heard the same things as far as a lot of potential retirements and promotions, I have 100 total and I am attending Medic School hoping that will be enough to have the privilage to work for SPFD.... We'll see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 First ... 3456789 ... Last

Thread Information