Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

I agree IA. What is the next "tie-breaker". Is it certs, degree, experience, Physical time???

Forum Member

Previous posters stated they were interviewed. I'm assuming that's a part of Phase 1, the background check. That sounds like tie-breaker #1 to me.

Forum Member

Interviews will be the tie-breaker I would assume. Since there is no previous experience required (they train you their way), certs, degrees, and experience mean nothing. It will probably come down to interviews and backgrounds like kaiser said.

Forum Member

In my opinion, and this may come across as quite harsh but its the attitude im taking is that if you dont have resident or military points and have not scored 100 or at the very least 95 then dont waste your time with the physical test. I can not see SPFD employing more than 50-70 firefighters off the eligability list that they will draw up after all the testing is finished and considering that over 100 scored perfect and a whole lot more got 95 i think it is safe to assume that the people offered a job will come from this bunch. the cut backs that the city will face over the next few years i think will mean very few will be employed from this new list, look at Minneapolis police department, they recently cancelled a police academy and also layed off fully trained recruits due to lack of funding and this could well be the same in all public services. The guys who did score perfect i am thinking that atleast 80 of them will get a perfect score in the physical test aswell and if they dont then shame on them for doing so well and not getting another 100 for lack of training, then a whole lot more from the 95 group will get 100 in the physical as well. If you do have the extra points then i think this puts you head and shoulders above the rest but due to the large amount of high scorers i think you still need to be in the 95 or above group. The only exception would be if you are a female or in an ethnic group that they are trying to recruit to increase numbers to reflect the community that SPFD serves, this is not racist or sexist it is just giving the community what it needs.
    Good luck to all

Forum Member

That's the easy way out, quit. Not that my opinion matters, but I wouldn't recommend anyone quitting. Take the test, no matter what your score is, and show the department you want to get on. You never know what is going to happen.

Also, the Minneapolis police did lay off 25 officers in that '09 academy referred to above. A federal grant allowed them to re-hire 15 of them back.
    Last edited by kaiser10; 04-16-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how many St. Paul is actually planning on hiring?

I also recieved a 100 on my written test. And can guarantee a 100 on my physical test, I am attempting to actually have the fastest overall physical test.

Forum Member

If you feel you wont get hired go ahead and quit! It gives the rest of us a better chance of getting hired.
    Last edited by FF173; 04-16-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Forum Member

didnt say i was quitting i was just stating an opinion after taking in all the facts with regards to how many peoploe scored highly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmine109 View Post
    Does anyone know how many St. Paul is actually planning on hiring?

I also recieved a 100 on my written test. And can guarantee a 100 on my physical test, I am attempting to actually have the fastest overall physical test.
    Wow you're awesome. I'm going for 3:29!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dantask View Post
    didnt say i was quitting i was just stating an opinion after taking in all the facts with regards to how many peoploe scored highly.
    Not going to lie, it is going to be tough, but I wouldn't quit. If nothing else, it is valuable experience for testing another at another dept.

I got a 95 on my test and I have Vets w/disability points, even if I get a 100 on the PT, I still think I will probably be in the 40-60 range...and even that is optimistic. That test really screwed a lot of people in my opinion.

At the same time though, St. Paul is looking for people they can mold to their way, they are looking for a certain type of person. While that test really didn't weed out a whole bunch of people, I think they designed it so they have a larger pool (read minorities) to choose from. SPFD is a great department and I feel can take ALMOST anybody and turn them into a firefighter. I'm not a racist/sexist by any means, but I think SPFD (the city, HR, and staff...not necessarily rank and file) are striving to look good and boost their minority numbers. I'm all for giving the job to the right person as long as they have earned the job and can do the job...regardless of their race, sex, color, or creed. I don't want them to get the job because they scored higher on a very easy test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFinIA View Post
    I got a 95 on my test and I have Vets w/disability points, even if I get a 100 on the PT, I still think I will probably be in the 40-60 range...and even that is optimistic. That test really screwed a lot of people in my opinion.
    I would guess you're going to be much higher than the 40-60 range if you get a 100 on the PT. I have a hard time imagining more than a handful of people that scored high on both tests, and have 10 points.

Forum Member

Word is, this list is good for 5 years, they anticipate hiring 40-50 in 2010.
    Anyone who scored a 95-100 is in the top 100, a tie-breaker could be handled by making the scoring more specific.

Also, if a job offer is made, there is a psych test and background test. The psych test will most likely clear out some of the top 100.
    However, due to the heavy psych portion of the written and the number of candidates who scored in the 100's, it may not.

It will be interesting to see.

Forum Member

Since the physical practice has started, how is everyone doing? Is it harder, easier, or exactly what you thought it would be?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ryancross11 View Post
    Since the physical practice has started, how is everyone doing? Is it harder, easier, or exactly what you thought it would be?
    I was timed at 3:05 I didn't think it was too bad, the Keiser is kind of a b*tch, though. There were some guys that looked like they were going to die when they were done, but if you're in any kind of decent shape you should do just fine.

Forum Member

The Keiser is a b*tch. I had mine yesterday 3:09. I didnt have much left when i did the Keiser, but I think i was dragging the dummy a little wrong by not locking my arms (which might have tired them out). I think your exactly right, if your in any kind of shape or atleast can go hard for 3min you should be fine. I didnt get to see anyone else do it yesterday... so i thought i would ask.
    Transition phase is key.
    Good luck everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

PPT Anyone test yet???????????

Forum Member

Default Time

3:03 Anyone else?

Forum Member

3:18 here...it is a 100, but I felt really slow. As soon as I grabbed the dummy, I started to slow down. I don't know if my grip was off or if I was just drained all of a sudden. Got a 3:05 on the practice, just must have been off a bit on test day. Oh well, 100 is 100. Good luck to all!

Forum Member

Agility results are out on the cities website now. Roughly 4 weeks until we receive our letters. Good luck all!

MembersZone Subscriber

The List is out!!!

Thread Information