Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default St. Paul, MN Fire Department - 2010 Hiring Process

The City of Saint Paul will be accepting applications for Firefighter on January 4, 2010 through 4:30 p.m. on January 29, 2010.

Firefighter Requirements
    - High School Graduation or GED
    - Must be 18 years old
    - Valid Minnesota Class D driver's license, or equivalent out-of-state driver's license. The driver's license must have no suspensions or revocations for driving-related offenses, within the two year period prior to the date of hire. Suspensions for parking-related offenses are excluded.
    - Current State of Minnesota Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification. Candidates may participate in the testing process and be placed on the eligible list without submitting proof of EMT certification. However, EMT certification is required prior to the date of hire. No candidate will be appointed to the position of Firefighter without possession of EMT certification.

2010 Firefighter Salary
    The 3-month Academy, Firefighter Trainee Salary is $1,453 (Bi-weekly)

Firefighter Annual Salary after the Academy:
    Starting: $47,419
    3-year: $59,458
    5-year: $61,852

Check this website frequently for updated details on the Hiring Process for 2010!
    http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1845

General Information such as Stations, pictures, statistics, and public education
    http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?nid=197

IAFF Local 21 website
    http://www.iafflocal21.org/

Any questions, comments, concerns, etc. that you may have please feel free to ask! I, along with others, will answer them as best as we can for you.
    Last edited by SPFD17; 10-16-2009 at 04:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mentor or guide

I'm looking for someone to talk to on St. Paul fire to help me out with the process. I'm not looking for a shoe in or someone to say a good word for me. I'm just looking for someone to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. Help prepare me for the interview process by doing mock interviews, and just some good ol helpful advice. Firefighting is one of my biggest passions. I started by volunteerin out of high school, and did five years of wildland firefighting in Sequoia National Forest. I miss it, and want to get back into it. I'm willing to do what it takes to get the job.
    Amos

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kolat06 View Post
    I'm looking for someone to talk to on St. Paul fire to help me out with the process. I'm not looking for a shoe in or someone to say a good word for me. I'm just looking for someone to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. Help prepare me for the interview process by doing mock interviews, and just some good ol helpful advice. Firefighting is one of my biggest passions. I started by volunteerin out of high school, and did five years of wildland firefighting in Sequoia National Forest. I miss it, and want to get back into it. I'm willing to do what it takes to get the job.
    Amos
    I don't know about helping you out with mock interviews, etc. but I will definitely answer any questions, concerns, etc. you have! Ask away.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Question... How hard is it to get resiprosity for out of state EMT in MN. Im looking at the possibility of moving back and will be applying for SPF. Just curious if anyone knows the process and how much work is involed (not that it matters, Im willing to do it).....

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default what ifs

I have to get these out of the way and maybe I'm just looking in to this too much. I know any job in the fire service has a pretty crazy background check and stuff. My record is clean which is something I'm not even worried about I never even had a ticket. I'm concerned about my academic record is hasn't been the best, but there are some circumstances behind it. Is that something that is going to make or break me. Or should I be thinking more of the KISS mentality and worry about passing the written and physical test and worry about other situations when they arise?

Forum Member

I have to get these out of the way and maybe I'm just looking in to this too much. I know any job in the fire service has a pretty crazy background check and stuff. My record is clean which is something I'm not even worried about I never even had a ticket. I'm concerned about my academic record is hasn't been the best, but there are some circumstances behind it. Is that something that is going to make or break me. Or should I be thinking more of the KISS mentality and worry about passing the written and physical test and worry about other situations when they arise?
    I would focus on the written and the physical test. Academics wont make or break you, not to worry. Did you graduate High School/GED?

MembersZone Subscriber

yes I did in 2001

Forum Member

yes I did in 2001
    Then you should be just fine. Don't worry about academics, as long as you have a High School Diploma or GED you will meet the recruitment's.

Forum Member

If I have taken and passed the NREMT-B exam and have an Illinois license as an EMT-B will that qualify for the Minnesota EMT? Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sTages19 View Post
    If I have taken and passed the NREMT-B exam and have an Illinois license as an EMT-B will that qualify for the Minnesota EMT? Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!

Current State of Minnesota Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification is required. Candidates may participate in the testing process and be placed on the eligible list without submitting proof of EMT certification. However, EMT certification is required prior to the date of hire. No candidate will be appointed to the position of Firefighter without possession of EMT certification. You may

Not a problem. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Forum Member

What if any residency requirments are there? How does the Iaff feel about being a vol for a community?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREINSTR View Post
    What if any residency requirments are there? How does the Iaff feel about being a vol for a community?
    There are no residency requirements. Although the vote for giving an addition 5 points to those candidates currently living in St. Paul is going through our Council right now. 5 points for residency (possibly), and 5 points for Veterans.

Forum Member

There are no residency requirements. Although the vote for giving an addition 5 points to those candidates currently living in St. Paul is going through our Council right now. 5 points for residency (possibly), and 5 points for Veterans.

What do you mean by how do they feel? You mean while your on St. Paul being a volley? Or having prior experience as a volley?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post

What do you mean by how do they feel? You mean while your on St. Paul being a volley? Or having prior experience as a volley?
    I am a current vol on the west side of the cites and if allowed would consider staying on if IAFF allows it. I have heard some unions will not allow you to be full time and a vol in your community.
    Also I work for a local burn team what are you thoughts on that with regards to the IAFF

Forum Member

I am a current vol on the west side of the cites and if allowed would consider staying on if IAFF allows it. I have heard some unions will not allow you to be full time and a vol in your community.
    Also I work for a local burn team what are you thoughts on that with regards to the IAFF
    You can be both a volunteer FF white being a full time FF for St. Paul

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know what kind of numbers St. Paul has seen in the past?

How many applicants? (2000? 10,000?)

For how many posistions? (10? 50?)

Obviously I'm just looking for rough estimates here, not specifics.

MembersZone Subscriber

SPFD17,
    I'm heading to this physical ability test orientation, I want to come dressed ready to work out right? It didn't say anything on the paper that they gave me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by secmas12 View Post

They have the 2005 info on the site. 2,002 applied but only 1,388 showed up to take the written. I imagine it'll be higher this time around with so many people out of work in their fields.

Forum Member

SPFD17,
    I'm heading to this physical ability test orientation, I want to come dressed ready to work out right? It didn't say anything on the paper that they gave me.

Yes I would wear comfortable clothing that you can work out, run, and do the physical events in to all of the physical practice days, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by secmas12 View Post

Here's the information from the 2005 Hiring Process.

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1848

Thread Information