Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i quit my job!

Forum Member

Default i quit my job!

this moring at 7:00am i walked into work (home depot) and talked to my boss i told him fire academy starts tomorrow and that i need the next nine weeks off. we talked about this earlier this month and i never got an answer. again he had no answer so i quit. i really hope i pass this academy!

Forum Member

I hope you do too. Don't hope, just do. And don't use the Home Depot mantra "That's not my department".

Best of luck to you. As it has been said in alot of the previous posts, get out there and start applying to paid fire depts while you are in school so your chances of having work when you graduate are good.
    Bill Davis
    West Harrison Fire Dept
    2009 Rookie of the Year
    www.westharrisonfire.com
    IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
    this moring at 7:00am i walked into work (home depot) and talked to my boss i told him fire academy starts tomorrow and that i need the next nine weeks off. we talked about this earlier this month and i never got an answer. again he had no answer so i quit. i really hope i pass this academy!
    Uhhhh.....Not breaking your chops or anything (ok, I am.....) but why in the hell would you approach your supervisor on the day before you were to start your 9-week leave of absence, when you never received any sort of confirmation previously???

First of all, a request for a 9-week leave of absence is something that should have been submitted in writing. You could have explained the reason for needing the LOA, and that it was your desire to return to the team upon your completion of your fire academy. Speaks volumes about your character as a person.

Secondly, after you did not hear anything back from your supervisor or from HR, you should have followed up with a conversation to him, or with HR.

For you to have waited until the day before, was in my opinion, very irresponsible. Not only that, but you burned your bridges- you could potentially have gone back there and worked after you completed FA and while you searched for FD jobs.

If you go back to them after you graduate and ask for a job, and they laugh at you, don't wonder why.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

So do you have a job after you complete this fire academy, or are you just taking a "fire academy"?

How many job openings for firefighters are there in your area that you can just walk in to?

Just out of curiosity do you have any experience as a firefighter? If you are on a department now, wasn't there any way you could have taken FFI/FFII etc through your department at night and still kept your job?

Sounds like your move wasn't the best. I really hope you have a plan and I do wish you the best.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-18-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I sure hope that your lack of judgement in this case doesn't reflect the performance that you're going to give during the academy.

If you mentioned this to your supervision weeks ago and didn't get a response from them, why didn't you follow up? Sometimes you must bear that responsibility yourself, not put it off on your supervisors.

"Reminding" your boss that you needed 9 WEEKS off the day before you needed it was pretty irresponsible. Best of luck with the fire academy, but if it doesn't work out, I wouldn't embarrass yourself by going back to your old Home Depot boss begging for your job back.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Uhhhh.....Not breaking your chops or anything (ok, I am.....) but why in the hell would you approach your supervisor on the day before you were to start your 9-week leave of absence, when you never received any sort of confirmation previously???

First of all, a request for a 9-week leave of absence is something that should have been submitted in writing. You could have explained the reason for needing the LOA, and that it was your desire to return to the team upon your completion of your fire academy. Speaks volumes about your character as a person.

Secondly, after you did not hear anything back from your supervisor or from HR, you should have followed up with a conversation to him, or with HR.

For you to have waited until the day before, was in my opinion, very irresponsible. Not only that, but you burned your bridges- you could potentially have gone back there and worked after you completed FA and while you searched for FD jobs.

If you go back to them after you graduate and ask for a job, and they laugh at you, don't wonder why.

Well, beat me to the punch. I would have tried to work it out with the Supervisor more prior to quiting. Besides, you ALWAYS give two weeks notice before resigning a position.

So much for the good reference from HD.

Bou

"Talking about it earlier this month" is not sufficient.

This may come back to bite you in the *** later. You will want to put this as a reference when you apply for jobs. You want them to be able to talk to your manager. My best suggestion is to send a letter ASAP apologizing for the short notice. Maybe even bring something in and work something out. Say that if he needs any help you are more than happy to do anything to make it right. This will at least help your chances with the reference.

Home depot is a good reference for the fire service. I worked at Lowes before entering a fire Academy and the general knowledge of building construction and materials can set you apart from other candidates and classmates when dealing with structures etc.

I think going back and grovelling, pleading and apologizing is already too late.

You dug your hole by not handling this like an adult.
    You "talked" about it earlier in the month and had no answer.
    You waited until the day before your academy starts and essentially demanded an answer, and in lieu of not getting your way; quit.

Since it sounds like you were hoping for a 9 week LOA, you must not have a fire job lined up for afterwards yet.

So tell me; how is this going to go down on your future job applications?
    Reason why you left?_______________
    May we contact this employer?_____________

But yes, good luck in your academy.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

It does speak volumes of your character and personal responsibility.

Maybe its a bad example, or maybe you should look for something other than fire work. Either way, didn't make a good impression for me.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I have a legitimate question, as hard as that, for some, is to beleive.

In these areas where folks are attending fire academies, not operated by fire departments, are there options to take state-taught or fire department taught (by certified instructors) Firefighter I, Firefighter II and haz-mat classes to gain required certification by taking classes evening and weekends, and then taking cert tests through the recognized state fire training agency?

MembersZone Subscriber

In Missouri anyone can take Firefighter I and II (these are a combined class with separate tests) included in that is hazmat awareness and ops. The class can be taught anywhere as long as it is certified with the state fire marshalís office. All the instructors must be fire instructor I with current certification from the state fire marshalís office. A department to our North does a class every semester and the local state college does it every semester as well. From time to time a department somewhere will host a class. Most of the time these classes are night classes either 2 or 3 nights per week and some Saturdayís for practicalís. Some of our instructors teach at both places.

The college requires that its students do ride time with local paid departments, so right now we have a rider a lot of the time. Some of the students are on a volunteer department somewhere and some of them are off the street.

After they complete the class they have a practical skill test and then the written test. The practical part is done where the class was taught by instructors that did not teach the class and the written test is administered by the state fire marshals office.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

In these areas where folks are attending fire academies, not operated by fire departments, are there options to take state-taught or fire department taught (by certified instructors) Firefighter I, Firefighter II and haz-mat classes to gain required certification by taking classes evening and weekends, and then taking cert tests through the recognized state fire training agency?
    In my area, there are 5 Paid on Call departments (the rest being career). As for the career departments in my area, the vast majority require you to have your FireFighter 2 certification BEFORE hire (FYI, in IL Firefighter 2 is the first level of certification). For those rare career departments that don't, they are either sent to Southwest United Fire District for training, or in some cases the Illinois Fire Service Institute. Both hold academies three to four times a year.

The five Paid on Call fire departments have banded together to create an "academy". It is appropriately called 'Five Town'. Several certified instructors from each department get together to teach the recruits from the departments. Two of these departments have burn towers/buildings, where all the hands on training takes place. The classroom/minor hands on work (rolling hose, hitting hydrants, etc) rotates through the departments. I BELIEVE the academy is every Saturday and one day during the week, for about 6 months. After that they can go and challenge the state test for the certification. Overall, the system works REALLY well for these departments. At the burns/major trainings, each department can supply a piece of apparatus or two, additional firefighters to supervise, etc. The only real draw back is that recruitment for these departments basically has to take place around the same time. You obviously can't just have a class of three or four recruits from one department.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

I went through a fire academy on my own. It was run by a fire department. It offered the same classes/hours/training that any major cities around here offer. It took 9 months to complete unlike the short 6-13 week academies that some cities run. This academy did NOT have an EMT portion. It was very extensive.

Not only was I haz mat awareness, but op as well. I also came out of it with low angle rope rescue and swift water.

I don't know of an academy run outside of post-employment that isn't a certified course. I have never heard of an academy run that isn't associated with some kind of fire agency/department.

And yes, I did pay for it.
    Last edited by FireEeyore; 10-18-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Jaydee,

Good luck in the academy. Further, good luck in these weird economic times in getting a fire department job.

I understand you desire to get started on your fire service career. I think you made a huge error in judgement regarding how you left Home Depot. At the very least you should have followed up 2 weeks ago and found out whether they were going to give you the time off or not. If not, you could have given your notice then instead of hey the academy starts tomorrow I quit.

Live and learn I suppose.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I agree you did wrong,

I am guessing you are a young guy around 19-23 years old.

I have seen this with your generation. Your good people but you want what you want and you will do what you want without regard for the possible outcome.

Yes, I was that age once as well and maybe did not know what the possible outcomes of my decisions could be but I think guys my age just knew that certain things should not have been done no matter what we wanted.

I do not wish you ill will, in fact I wish you luck in your education but I think you made a very bad decision.

Think of it this way, maybe the supervisor's brother is a Captain on the FD you will be applying for. Given what you did, what do you think your chances of getting hired on this FD are now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy05 View Post
    I am guessing you are a young guy around 19-23 years old.
    From another one of his posts:

hey guys,
    my names JD im 18 yrs old and i have just joined the school craft fire academy. my classes start october 19th so if any of you guys have some advice for me that would be great thax.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I don't know how this will work out.

But one's character and work ethic weighs heavy in what we do as firefighters.

I hope you haven't shot yourself in both feet. One's youthfulness and inexperience sometimes does cast a shadow over the rest of one's life, but it doesn't necessarily mean a death sentence for one's career opportunities.

Wasn't it Goerge W that said, "When I was young and irresponsible I was young and irresponsible. Looks like it worked out for him alright.

Well...that probably wasnt the smartest thing to do.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Also keep in mind, even if you don't want to use Home Depot as a reference in a job application, odds are, you *will* have to disclose the job to whoever completes your background. And failure to disclose information on a job application is almost *always* a disqualifier for a applicant, comparative to just telling a Home Depot manager to shove it.

Thread Information