Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

Thread: Witch hunt

Forum Member

Default Witch hunt

http://www.news-press.com/article/20...17044/1003/ACC

We could use a little support from the brotherhood. The local newspaper is on a witch hunt again. It seems to happen about once every year. Just to forewarn, the numbers aren't quite right, but I'm sure most of you could have gussed that.

Stay safe out there.

Banned

Not for nothing, but $70,000 is pretty damn good. I wish I made $70k plus had the time to work a second job. My first job takes up all of my time.

MembersZone Subscriber

after the first of the year the newspapers up here will be posting that about us... the **** poor thing is that the OT is due to lack a minumum staffing being raised and we call back each time 2 units are out (9 man shifts running 3 medic units or 1 engine and 1 truck depending on a the calls.)
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Of course the numbers are skewed, what do you expect. The "I hate firefighters" Palm Beach Post had an article about county Special Ops captains making over $150k but did not mention the amount of MANDATORY overtime they worked, as well as holidays, kids birthdays etc or specialized training they need. They recently had an article about how much West Palm brothers make and the loss of revenue the city was facing. Of course it was 4th page news to show that the PD took less than 2% cut along with public works while the FD took a 14% cut. Is it fare, hell no but thats the way it is. The media likes to make us look like hero's when we do something they think will make a good story, but the LOVE to make us look like the bad guys more.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I like how the newspaper doesn't investigate the facts and just prints what that MUTT wants to print. Did you notice there were only about 3 lines from the Union president?? Using the stats of BASE pay of FDNY and TOTAL pay of their firefighters? Two totally different costs of living, tax base, etc. and an unfair comparison.

Also they never mentioned the cost of EMS, only how many fires they get. The totally brushed over the medical calls, and the refusal of hiring employees to avoid overtime. No one mentioned the overtime is so high because in the long run, it is cheaper for the City to hire overtime instead of hiring new employees.

Very bad reporting. I guess it doesn't surprise me much. That's media wherever you go. I wish you well with your struggle, I left some comments on that site.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Not for nothing, but $70,000 is pretty damn good. I wish I made $70k plus had the time to work a second job. My first job takes up all of my time.
    And you sir, ****** me off to end with this comment. This just proves that you have absolutely no clue of what brotherhood or being a firefighter actually means.

Making a comment like this is just as bad if not worse than the author of that article. You might as well put the knife in our chests and at least look us in the eye when you phuck us like that because comments like this are a stab in all of our backs!!!

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I like how the newspaper doesn't investigate the facts and just prints what that MUTT wants to print.

Why would they, if they did it wouldn't get ratings.

And you sir, ****** me off to end with this comment. This just proves that you have absolutely no clue of what brotherhood or being a firefighter actually means.
    Maybe I'm late on this one but is he firefighter?
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post

I doubt it.

If he is, he has proven time and time again how much of an a-s-set he is to his department and crew.

Might be a firefighter but not even close to being a BROTHER!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Maybe you should move to FL and look for a new job?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post

Making a comment like this is just as bad if not worse than the author of that article. You might as well put the knife in our chests and at least look us in the eye when you phuck us like that because comments like this are a stab in all of our backs!!!

Comments like this only prove you are clueless about everything outside of the fire service. There are millions of people on fixed incomes living off the failed Social Security System eating peanut butter and jelly so they can pay their taxes. What about them??? There are thousands of qualified applicants showing up all the time for a few jobs, recently in Utah 500 hundred showed up for 2 jobs.

Do a little self assessment and soul searching, the job and the salary aren't that bad. If these city managers had any brains they would realize that they have plenty of people out there , qualified to do the jobs for far less.

You do realize that a school teacher with a MASTERS degree gets about $30k to start. More in the overpriced cities.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 10-18-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Banned

Why would they, if they did it wouldn't get ratings.

Yes I am. My annual salary is $200.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    after the first of the year the newspapers up here will be posting that about us... the **** poor thing is that the OT is due to lack a minumum staffing being raised and we call back each time 2 units are out (9 man shifts running 3 medic units or 1 engine and 1 truck depending on a the calls.)
    Excessive OT is a function of poor management. Keep in mind that everyone from the chief and assistant chiefs up are managers. If a chief can't justify more personnel by showing the reduction in OT cost then he is a poor chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

Comments like this only prove you are clueless about everything outside of the fire service. There are millions of people on fixed incomes living off the failed Social Security System eating peanut butter and jelly so they can pay their taxes. What about them??? There are thousands of qualified applicants showing up all the time for a few jobs, recently in Utah 500 hundred showed up for 2 jobs.

Do a little self assessment and soul searching, the job and the salary aren't that bad. If these city managers had any brains they would realize that they have plenty of people out there , qualified to do the jobs for far less.

You do realize that a school teacher with a MASTERS degree gets about $30k to start. More in the overpriced cities.

Typical response from you.....great re-direction.

However, as someone once said, "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." So...I refuse to get in a pee pee contest you.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

If a chief can't justify more personnel by showing the reduction in OT cost then he is a poor chief.
    Really? I guess you forgot that additional personnel means additional pension, health care benefits, workers comp, TRAINING, etc. More often than not it is cheaper to pay out overtime. A $70k ff to the municipality is really a $100k plus employee.

Firefighter/Paramedic

makes good girls go bad

How is the cost of living in those areas?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

makes good girls go bad

Saving slabs makes one not a fireman.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Really? I guess you forgot that additional personnel means additional pension, health care benefits, workers comp, TRAINING, etc. More often than not it is cheaper to pay out overtime. A $70k ff to the municipality is really a $100k plus employee.
    Bing-freaking-o!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

If these city managers had any brains they would realize that they have plenty of people out there , qualified to do the jobs for far less.
    Ohhh it all makes sense now, maybe we should pay all firefighters minimum wage, I'm sure we could find some idiots to do their job for next to nothing. You are unbelievable.

How about we support good paying jobs so people can live comfortably, and they don't have to live on PB and J sandwiches.

FF4606, that article sucks, we have our fair share of mutts in our city. Maybe you guys can get a hold of a different news source to give your side of the story, or try writing an editorial. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Why does that happen? That's right, it's a good job with good pay and benefits.

There's a reason why you don't see that same thing happening at McDonald's and such?

Do a little self assessment and soul searching, the job and the salary aren't that bad.
    I don't think anybody was complaining about their job and pay.

If these city managers had any brains they would realize that they have plenty of people out there , qualified to do the jobs for far less.
    Qualified to do the job and capable of doing the job are not necessarily the same thing. Plus, you get what you pay for.

I don't believe that to be the case but, so what?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Really? If it takes all of your time why in 22 months do you have 5299 posts? That is almost 241 a month or roughly 8 a day. Seems like you have plenty of time on your hands. In 10 years and 2 months I have 4364.

Nice shot at paid firefighters again though. Your jealousy at a guy actually doing a job that truly makes a difference in people's lives and getting a good salary is truly pathetic.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

From the knowledge you have displayed here about anything actually fire related, you sir, are overpaid.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Golly, Mr Big Shot aren't you the guy who said the market sets the value? If teachers in your community with a Masters Degree are starting at $30K and a fire fighter starts at higher than that I guess the market set the value of each didn't it? Maybe that Masters Degree money would have been better spent for firefighter certification and paramedic training.

When I got hired there were 500 plus applicants and 51 were going to make the list. A couple of cities close have consistently had well over a thousand applicants over the past several years. So what's your point? Do you think getting a firefighter job is an easy task?
    Last edited by FyredUp; 10-19-2009 at 01:01 AM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Excessive OT is a function of poor management. Keep in mind that everyone from the chief and assistant chiefs up are managers. If a chief can't justify more personnel by showing the reduction in OT cost then he is a poor chief.
    Actually, there are times when paying overtime saves money over hiring additional staffing. When you pay current employees overtime you are not adding an entire brand new set of benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, and retirement. My current FD is running short and while overtime is available to fill the slots there is no funding for new hires at this time.

It is not always the chief's choice to pay overtime versus hiring more staff. Your overly simplistic opinion shows your complete lack of understanding of how things work. Funny thing is that isn't surprising in the least.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

$70,000 is not that high of a salary, depending on where you live. here, starting salary for a FF out of school is +53,000, plus uplifts for medical skills, different levels of training. My son is on a base of about $65,000 on his second year, hes working on his EMT-P which will kick it up another $8,000 or so. If he wants OT, he can easily make in excess of $100 K. Cost of living is not outrageous here, but I don't think that $70,000 is going to put you in the lap of luxury. Sounds like a couple of people are trying to make political hay out of BS instead of the way it usually works.

Banned

Well dearest FyredUp let me put it this way. As firefighters you have it pretty damn good. All you need is a high school education to get the job. You get to sleep on the job. Many have second jobs or businesses supplementing their income. They can do this becuase they can sleep at night and only miss one day a week or so. I get so sick of people whining about how bad they have it when in reality they have it really good. I do the same thing in my professional job as well. You get these clowns who have never worked anywhere else and they complain about the dumbest things.

I have to tell them that at least they have a job, and a pretty easy one at that. I have worked jobs where you were expected to be at the machine getting ready 30 minutes before the shift. At 6 am the machine started and you worked nonstop until someone came by to give you a break. We didn't sleep, we didn't watch TV, we didn't play pool, for 12 hours straight you were on your feet working.

The Median salaries in the United States are $38,376. Usual Weekly Earnings Summary So if you are making more than that consider yourself lucky.
    --Among the major occupational groups, persons employed full time in
    management, professional, and related occupations had the highest
    median weekly earnings--$1,259 for men and $913 for women. Persons
    in service jobs earned the least. (See table 3.)
    That is $65,468.

So if you are making more than that consider yourself extremely lucky.

As for the free market setting salaries, that would be true if not for the unions and weak city managers. It is easier for these clowns to raise salaries and then just raise taxes. Around here, the locals are talking about a 27% increase in taxes becuase the liberal state of NY can't balance their budget and cut excessive spending. WTF!!! The cost of living dropped last year. Hence my F***** Taxes should go down as well.

One thing I have learned in 52 years. Any worker you talk to will tell you that don't get paid enough.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 10-19-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

Thread Information