Talking Embarassing Pager Stories

I know everyone out there has had an akward situation or experience regarding their pagers going off at a public place or something. For me i was in the middle of the grocery store and it went off because i forgot to turn it to vibrate and everyone looked and some lady said " oh my god what is that it is so loud". hahaha so everyone what is your story?

Forum Member

Hmm..I keep mine on Vibrate unless I am sleeping, can't say I've really had an embarassing moment with a pager in public.

Forum Member

Thats not embarassing thats cool. I love when everyone looks at me while the tones drop. I tell everyone, "I save lives; what do you do?"
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Thats not embarassing thats cool. I love when everyone looks at me while the tones drop. I tell everyone, "I save lives; what do you do?"
    Speechless.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Speechless.
    Everybody else is speechless as well when my pager goes off. There are no words for how cool I am .

[/sarcasm]
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

I've found, "I walk where the devil dances" has a greater impact with the ladies. Oh how they love to hear that.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well..............

I've always been pretty careful of how my pager is set, but one experience about 30 years ago illustrates how important it is to actually LISTEN AND PAY ATTENTION to the dispatch info.

A Mutual Aid VFD had a Fire going in a Apartment Project on the far side of their area from us, with a Second Alarm responding. It was about O Dark Thirty, and when I heard the IC request the Third Alarm, I jumped out of bed and made a quick Bathroom stop, before getting dressed to head out to the Fire. (I was well aware that our Heavy Rescue was due on the Third on that Box) While in the Bathroom, I heard the Pager go off, followed by the Dispatcher's mumbling..........

A minute later I was in the Car, and marked up "Chief 7 Responding, is the Squad going yet?" Dispatcher replied "They're inroute with 6"..... I arrived at the Fire, and checked in with the IC, who gave me a staff assignment at the CP, and then asked me "How come the Squad wasn't available?" My "Huh??" was quickly followed by a discreet phone call to my Dispatch Center who told me that the Squad had been dispatched to a Fatal MVA, Mutual Aid to another County, at the same time that the Third Alarm was struck for the Apartment Fire.......... Dispatch thought I was with the Squad on the MVA......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Talking Lesson Learned

I am a complete "greenhorn" on a small town VFD. I am probably like many of you were, very anxious to get involved and help. We have radio's, not pagers and one of the very first calls that went out I completly broke protocol (That, to be honest I was not aware of...) and I signed on as en-route to the scene of a MVA as a FF Assist. Well, my error was doing so before someone who was certified signed on. No harm, as an EMT-P and FF2 responded with the engine and rescue but if they had not been available I could have caused enough confusion, that it could have been a bad result. I have since familiarized myself better with the policies and procedures and have not made that mistake again.

Ok, now... two nights ago I was certain that the radio said "XYZ Fire and Rescue stand by for a tone..." I jumped out of bed, and headed to the bathroom to put my contacts in... then I waited, and the tone never came. A few minutes later I went to bed. The next morning I called dispatch and sure enough, there was no call.... my wife said I even made the "squelch" noise. That was embarassing. I need to calm down... lol

Forum Member

He's better than that.

While I am way too cool to ever make a mistake in pager settings or use it to pick up women ,I know of a guy who has messed that up.
    Usually,he'd set his pager on vibrate before going to Church but this particular day,he'd forgotten.
    Right in the middle of the sermon,our department got tapped out for a wreck call.While he was trying to silence the pager and get out of the pew where his wife placed him in the middle between their kids against such an occurrence,someone asked"Son,do we ALL need to respond or just you?"

I'll even call that party's name.
    It was

Forum Member

Please be joking.

Forum Member

My family operates a summer theater (stage) and restaurant where I work. One Friday night we were dispatched to smoke coming from a building. The building is a 3-story 200 or more year old tavern converted to apartments.
    I was out back talking to the stage crew and actors when the call came in. I hear it, and sprint out through the auditorium to my car out front. I had ordered food from the restaurant before the call came in, but hadn’t gotten it yet. I head into town… first due engine signs off smoke showing 3rd floor, only to be canceled by PD on scene. The smoke was coming from a fog machine at a party. I turned around and parked my car out back as to not be seen by the patrons who just minutes before saw me tear away.
    The staff at the restaurant had eaten my food thinking I was going to be gone.
    Man I felt like a doofus.

Forum Member

I don't have a pager, but if I did, I would never take it off pleasure mode.
    This is what our tones sound like
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    /Thread. Haha
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by haligan155 View Post
    My family operates a summer theater (stage) and restaurant where I work. One Friday night we were dispatched to smoke coming from a building. The building is a 3-story 200 or more year old tavern converted to apartments.
    I was out back talking to the stage crew and actors when the call came in. I hear it, and sprint out through the auditorium to my car out front. I had ordered food from the restaurant before the call came in, but hadn’t gotten it yet. I head into town… first due engine signs off smoke showing 3rd floor, only to be canceled by PD on scene. The smoke was coming from a fog machine at a party. I turned around and parked my car out back as to not be seen by the patrons who just minutes before saw me tear away.
    The staff at the restaurant had eaten my food thinking I was going to be gone.
    Man I felt like a doofus.
    LOL!
    I've had to leave ordered food behind and was sometimes lucky to return to pick it up albeit slightly cold.
    Why they were compelled to eat yours, I don't know

Let alone, you shouldn't have felt like a doofus. You went to something that turned out to be a false alarm and they ate your food. What's up with that?!

FF-EMT

Default embarassing pager moment

Being in church just about to read scripture and having pager pick that particular moment to tone out for a call while I am standing at the pulpit. sure made for a short sermon/service!
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

Ah, you dorks know you love it. Shut up.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEeyore View Post
    Please be joking.
    Heck no brother!! I fight what you fear.

It is sad people don't know I'm being sarcastic because whackers have given us a bad name.
    FF/Paramedic

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Ya know, I laugh my *** off at just about everything Johnny posts, but this is one of the best....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I've been in the final steps of a haircut when we've been called out before. Fortunately my barber is also a member of our department and knew he should probably wrap up pretty quick.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    LOL!
    I've had to leave ordered food behind and was sometimes lucky to return to pick it up albeit slightly cold.
    Why they were compelled to eat yours, I don't know

Let alone, you shouldn't have felt like a doofus. You went to something that turned out to be a false alarm and they ate your food. What's up with that?!
    I've walked out a few minutes after ordering before... it was a local diner so they knew what was going on and just held the order until we cleared and came back. We had just sat down with a neighboring department in their district when they got toned for a structure (trailer home) fire. We had our gear and a brush truck with us and they had to stop at their station to gear up and respond. Ended up heading straight to scene, making entry and knocking it down with our handline before it had made it through the kitchen area. A few moments later they arrived on scene and saw everything was already out.

The big joke now is when we come to their district they ask us to drain our tank first. haha

Early Adopter

I don't understand these posts about the pager going off in church... it would seem to me that church would be the least embarrassing place for a pager to go off. Where else would people be more understanding about the concept of helping your neighbor.

Personally, the pager only went off in church once for me when I was a vollie. We had a guest organist performing a recital of sorts that day. The pipe organ actually drowned out the alert on the Minitor II at first.

Forum Member

One day that guy is gonna walk up so someone and say “I save lives, what do you do?” and they reply is going to be “Brain Surgery”. That’ll fix him.

Just remember, no one singlehandedly saves lives. If it wasn’t for the dispatcher, the purchasing department to buy equipment, your other brothers, the E.D. and so on so forth you wouldn’t save that life. We are a team and you contribute to the effort, that’s all.

The World according to Matt….

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    I don't understand these posts about the pager going off in church... it would seem to me that church would be the least embarrassing place for a pager to go off.
    Seriously. If God didn't want me to leave church, he wouldn't have set off my pager!
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

It didn't embarrass me as much as it ticked me off....

When I was Chief all the officers and I would take our wives/significant others out for dinner once a month. We'd talk FD stuff, the women would talk women stuff, just a way for all of us to get closer. Anyway, we go to a prime rib buffet, all you could eat. We're just starting through the line, in fact the carver was just putting a nice slab of very rare prime rib on my plate, when all our pagers go off. We all thought, "no biggie, med call" when more tones go. Working structure fire (arson) in a huge house. Officers leave, wives stay. Five hours later, we go to a grocery store, get two frozen pizzas to cook in a microwave (believe me, it doesn't work well). We get home to drunk wives who are bragging that the restaurant felt so sorry for them being abandoned that they got their dinners for free. Since they didn't have a ride, they called one's sister and ended up dancing/drinking the night away at a nightclub. They told the bartender that they were fire department widows, ended up getting a bunch of free drinks too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xchief23 View Post
    They told the bartender that they were fire department widows, ended up getting a bunch of free drinks too.
    Funny story, although that is one term that "Mrs. Dubya" never - ever - uses to describe her relationship to the fire service. Something about "tempting fate"...
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Thread Information