Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wet T-Shirts

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wet T-Shirts

Female firefighters in wet T-Shirt row, joined Facebook petition to get new shirts

A WET T-shirt controversy has broken out among female firefighters who have complained their new Rural Fire Service shirts become see-through when wet.

More than 600 volunteers joined a Facebook petition to object to the issuing of the bright yellow shirts to replace existing navy blue ones.

Women complained that when they sweat, handle leaking hoses, wash or fill their trucks and even when it rains, their male colleagues can see through their new shirts.

"Most women aren't too happy about it. We're not doing the job to be glamorous. We're not sex objects," Sydney volunteer Maryann Berndt, 34, said yesterday.

"You can get quite wet on the fire ground, you always get wet from leaking hoses or filling up the trucks."

In an email forwarded to Opposition emergency services spokeswoman Melinda Pavey, another female firefighter wrote: "I do not like the yellow long sleeved T-shirts for the fact that after you have rolled a few wet hoses or ended up with water all over you they become completely see-through.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"This isn't much of an issue for the guys but not so flattering for the girlies."

Ms Pavey said the shirts were issued to firefighters without consultation.

"It is demeaning there is no thought for women volunteers and what may happen if the shirts get wet. It shows a lack of respect for what women do in the RFS," Ms Pavey said.

There were dozens of posts on the Facebook petition site to save the blue drill shirts, including firefighters comparing the new all yellow look to the yellow member of the The Wiggles.

"RFS Wiggles," one member wrote.

Another wrote: "Hope this [petition] works. The yellow life saver shirts are bloody ugly."

An RFS spokesman said the shirts would be issued to volunteers free, unlike the navy ones which members have to pay for and which will remain for sale.

He added that while first yellow shirts issued were of thinner fabric, the next ones due to be issued would have pockets over the chest and would not be see through when wet.

"The colour yellow has been used due to its high visibility. Also, during independent testing in Alberta, Canada, it has been identified that the blue coloured clothing absorbs more heat," he said.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Female firefighters in wet T-Shirt row, joined Facebook petition to get new shirts

A WET T-shirt controversy has broken out among female firefighters who have complained their new Rural Fire Service shirts become see-through when wet.

More than 600 volunteers joined a Facebook petition to object to the issuing of the bright yellow shirts to replace existing navy blue ones.

Women complained that when they sweat, handle leaking hoses, wash or fill their trucks and even when it rains, their male colleagues can see through their new shirts.

"Most women aren't too happy about it. We're not doing the job to be glamorous. We're not sex objects," Sydney volunteer Maryann Berndt, 34, said yesterday.

"You can get quite wet on the fire ground, you always get wet from leaking hoses or filling up the trucks."

In an email forwarded to Opposition emergency services spokeswoman Melinda Pavey, another female firefighter wrote: "I do not like the yellow long sleeved T-shirts for the fact that after you have rolled a few wet hoses or ended up with water all over you they become completely see-through.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"This isn't much of an issue for the guys but not so flattering for the girlies."

Ms Pavey said the shirts were issued to firefighters without consultation.

"It is demeaning there is no thought for women volunteers and what may happen if the shirts get wet. It shows a lack of respect for what women do in the RFS," Ms Pavey said.

There were dozens of posts on the Facebook petition site to save the blue drill shirts, including firefighters comparing the new all yellow look to the yellow member of the The Wiggles.

"RFS Wiggles," one member wrote.

Another wrote: "Hope this [petition] works. The yellow life saver shirts are bloody ugly."

An RFS spokesman said the shirts would be issued to volunteers free, unlike the navy ones which members have to pay for and which will remain for sale.

He added that while first yellow shirts issued were of thinner fabric, the next ones due to be issued would have pockets over the chest and would not be see through when wet.

"The colour yellow has been used due to its high visibility. Also, during independent testing in Alberta, Canada, it has been identified that the blue coloured clothing absorbs more heat," he said.
    Just where and when did they ever find enough heat in Alberta Canada to test this theory?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Just where and when did they ever find enough heat in Alberta Canada to test this theory?
    Once the shirts become see through, the heat usually follows...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Once the shirts become see through, the heat usually follows...
    Usually in Alberta, before the heat ever starts, hypothermia sets in or anaphylactic shock from mosquito bites

Wet tee's are nice. Now if the female removes her turnout coat and shows off the wet Tee's and her attributes to male members or to other females members, them she has crossed the line of professionalism and now borders on creating a hostile environment and a bad sexual situations that could blow up!

Any member male or female that does this is doing it out of good taste and should have departmental charges brought up on her.

There is no one who likes a woman as much as I do and to see the curves of them.

There is a time and place to see wet tees and the fire ground or fire house isn't the place.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

judging from the picture in the article, I also hope they reissue the blue shirts or make the yellow from a much thicker fabric.

MembersZone Subscriber SIMP0LMAN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    judging from the picture in the article, I also hope they reissue the blue shirts or make the yellow from a much thicker fabric.
    when reading the article i was hopeing they would include a pic, only to find out i wish they didn't add a pic to the article! Ruined alot of pleasant thoughts!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SIMP0LMAN View Post
    when reading the article i was hopeing they would include a pic, only to find out i wish they didn't add a pic to the article! Ruined alot of pleasant thoughts!
    It's always a catch 22:

Hit on her, and face sexual harassment charges.

Or don't hit on her, and face discrimination charges.

MembersZone Subscriber SIMP0LMAN's Avatar

It's always a catch 22:

Hit on her, and face sexual harassment charges.

Or don't hit on her, and face discrimination charges.
    i find staring at my feet and keeping my mouth shut helps alot in this type of situation

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIMP0LMAN View Post
    i find staring at my feet and keeping my mouth shut helps alot in this type of situation
    Not me.My ol' lady could hear eyeballs squeaking as they rotated in the sockets.
    I thought this happened in Australia.

For Pete's sake, please please please get thicker shirts and or change the it to a darker color. Oh and a paper bag would not hurt either.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

You first have to have something to show off..... before you show it off.

I agree, reflective paper bags would be good too.
    Last edited by Dickey; 11-15-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Talking

I don't want to have to see the blokes in these things either......skinny RFS blokes are rarer than hen's teeth....good looking ones don't exist in my part of the world

ugh! I'm offended by the thought of see through tee shirt showing snail trails and shoulders that are hairier than a koalas.....pass the mind bleach PLEASE!!!!

Personally we are happy with changing the colour though, as permanent staff here where blue duty wear and nothing ****es you off more than being wrongly identified as RFS.......they used to wear orange pants and blue shirts...hence public confusion when we wear lime green turnout pants.

Never said our public was smart

Brigade Chief Glenn Quagmire would not address the issue directly, saying only, "Giggity giggity giggity gooo!"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Wet Tees

Leave it to the Aussies to be more libral on these type of issues. Just think of the recruitment potential for US volunteer fire companies!!

Forum Member

oh wow this is ridiculous

MembersZone Subscriber

Wait. What?

You have a problem in your FD and the way you deal with it is start a Facebook group?

And some wonder why women are not taken seriously in the fire service.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Damn George, that was just cold. True and to the point but. . . . . hey does these pants make my butt look big?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Wait. What?

You have a problem in your FD and the way you deal with it is start a Facebook group?

And some wonder why women are not taken seriously in the fire service.
    Exactly.....

I think it's cute when firefems express their thoughts.....which reminds me, I'm hungry.....where's my sammich......
    IACOJ Member

This is our VOLUNTEER Bush Fire service in the state of New South Wales.

As a career FF in the same state , I sure as he$$ wouldn't be using this tactic to get gear changed....but this is a common ploy by this organization to get things their way....don't like it, go cry to the media and current affairs programs.

Don't get me wrong, the boots on the ground are damm dedicated to their communities and do a fine job but as with all organizations there are some aspects that tend to rub people the wrong way....to me this is one of them.

This mob has the gall to cold call people to fund raise and then when told that their budget from the gov't is greater than that of the career brigade in the same state will deny this fact!! ---- once again Funded Volunteer organization!---their vehicle budget was greater than our entire wage budget including OT last year!----our spare Aerial pumper (Tele squirt) for the whole of Sydney is a 1950's MACK

Oh and did ya notice they can buy their own (old style) shirts---cute. Thanks Management

BTW: I am female and how hard is it to wear a simple singlet/sports bra girls?

Thread Information