Thread: Background

Default Background

I was convicted of reckless driving with alcohol a factor in 2008. Will this make it impossible to get a firefighter job in florida?

Forum Member

I have heard that will, plus with the jobs here are hard to get you already have a strike against you. I would call the HQ in the area that you plan to apply to and ask to make sure. I was told by a chief that was visiting our fire academy that driving/criminal records can effect your application process.

Forum Member

Default Background

If it was in 2008...you need time to get your record straight. Keep your nose clean from here on out and time will be your friend. The hardest part is two things...1. There are many who have clean records who are vying for the same job as you and 2. Jobs are few and far between. I wish you luck in your endeavor.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I forgot, I remember the Chief saying that they go back I think it was four years on your driving record, but if you were charge ect that might show up on the extensive background check later on.

Forum Member

Let me start by saying that I am not currently employed by a department, have never been, and have never been in charge of hiring. However, I have filled out a dozen applications in the past month.

I have seen departments ask about all driving infractions ever received. I have seen them only ask for driving citations in the past three or four years. I have also seen them ask about driving citations and then a seperate question relating to ever being charged with DUI or reckless driving.

The influence reckless driving or DUI has on your application obviously varies by department. Time is definitely your friend.

They know that everyone has done things either illegal or stupid. A lot of departments used to not hire if you had smoked marijuana, but now a lot don't care as long as you haven't smoked in the last 6 months.

Forum Member

The hard thing for you to hear is that it will make it difficult for you to compete against others. We are currently getting large numbers of applicants and many of them have clean driving records. As time goes by, it will be less of a factor if you maintain a clean driving record. Be open and honest about the incident during any application/interview. That may include accepting the sentence/punishment even if you donít agree with it. Also consider some self-initiated corrective measures such as a defensive driving and/or drug/alcohol abuse classes. Itís one thing if you were ordered to take them,, itís entirely another thing if you took them on your own. Strong character references are always good as well, especially if it is a Fire Service professional known to the interviewing agency.

Thank you everyone for their output. I know i made some mistakes in the past and thats what it is the past. Thanks again

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmn15 View Post
    I was convicted of reckless driving with alcohol a factor in 2008. Will this make it impossible to get a firefighter job in florida?
    Not to crush you but YES. With all the unemployed FF/PM's here without background issues, along with the brothers that have been laid off that will be applying with you I'll be honest and say you have almost a zero chance.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Once again, I agree with firemedic61....Times are SOOOOOO tough around here for finding a job man, it is BEYOND ridiculous. I live in central Florida, and can not believe how many Firefighter/EMT students graduate from one of the 573070530703503750305375 academys located in central Florida. What does that mean to you? NO luck man. There were 650 apps for hillsborough county, 300 PLUS for Winter Garden, and they only took the medics, over 200 plus RIGHT NOW for St. Cloud Fire. and the sad thing is, these smaller departments only hire 1 or 2 people, and you better believe it is going to be someone they know. Do you see where I am going with this? It is next to IMPOSSIBLE right now in Florida WITH A CLEAN RECORD, being a medic, having experience etc. If you want this job bad enough, you are going to need to leave the state, I'm sorry man, but that is the cold harsh reality. That is the best advice I can give you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    I live in central Florida, and can not believe how many Firefighter/EMT students graduate from one of the 573070530703503750305375 academys located in central Florida.
    I can't believe that the state has not done something about this yet. I still hear of new EMS programs popping up offering "fast track" courses to get you out there quicker than the CC's and I'm waiting for the on-line fire schools to start here. In the S.Fla area I'll bet we have close to 500 certified FF/PM of FF/in medic school people for every 1 opening. The academy's are still cranking out students who want to put up the money. I know a lot of us are instructors on our off days but the times of "pay your way" and then apply need to come to an end. Training should start once you get hired, and you should be required to be a practicing EMT for 1 year prior to paramedic school.

ffmn15, sorry to sound harsh but the reality is there are so many certified people with clean records, like VESmedic said, waiting and traveling from one end of the state to the other looking for jobs that you really have no chance competing with them. I hope that if this happened before you went to school that your instructors were admirable and told you this. My first day of fire school our lead instructor asked if anyone had a DUI. One guy, who was a cert PM, raised his hand and the instructors told him he was screwed and should drop out because he would never get a job with a FD. That was is '98 when job openings were many and certified FF/PM's were few, let alone the predicament we are in now. If you were allowed to go through school after your infraction then shame on your academy and instructors if they new about it.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    One guy, who was a cert PM, raised his hand and the instructors told him he was screwed and should drop out because he would never get a job with a FD. That was is '98 when job openings were many and certified FF/PM's were few, let alone the predicament we are in now. If you were allowed to go through school after your infraction then shame on your academy and instructors if they new about it.
    where is he at now if u know? did he ever get hired?

MembersZone Subscriber

A buddy of mine has a DUI on his record and is now working on a department. His DUI is about 11 or 12 yrs old though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedicFndz View Post
    where is he at now if u know? did he ever get hired?
    I saw him maybe 4 years ago and he was an RN. He finnished at the top of our class but could not get hired because of his DUI. He was able to become a volunteer firefighter and worked for Medics ambulance before becoming a nurse.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

The very first thing ANY department uses as a disqualifer is your driving record.

Forum Member

I got a friend of mine, Fire/Medic who applied, interviewed, tested etc. with a local department. In his final interview, the guys were shocked to see he had 3 tickets within 3 years. They asked him how he got this far with that, and it must have been a mistake, that its an automatic disqualifier.
    They also told him had he not had those 3 tickets, he would have gotten hired in that department.

Go apply to nursing school.

Thread Information