Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio/Scanners

Forum Member

Default Radio/Scanners

Ive been a volunteer fire fighter for about 3 years now and I just moved from NJ to NC & I plan on buying a new 2 way portable radio/scanner and Mic I know Motorola is the best out there but I would like some other opinions on particular Radios/scanners. I would like to go as cheap as possible but good quality!

Thanks
    Fire Fighter Shuler
    Last edited by FLFD138; 10-19-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Wording
    Fire Fighter Brandon Shuler Badge #141
    Spruce Pine Volunteer Fire & Rescue
    Spruce Pine NC

Forum Member

Vertex makes a descent radio from my experience. Priced a lot less than motorola as well.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Do you want a radio or a scanner? Two completely different things. And Motorola doesn't make scanners.

Lots of good radios out there, Motorola (can't pay more for less!), Vertex, Icom, etc, etc, etc. Depends on what you want the radio to do...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

...unless you have a radio that scans.

And who said Motorola is the best? While I agree they make good products, plenty of other companies are right on par with them. The area where I am at is mostly Kenwood...and we dont have alot of issues. I have a TK272 portable that I bought used over 3 years ago and it has held up great. Been in plenty of fires and been wet alot as well. It holds plenty of channels and scans with priority.

Alot of this will have to do with what frequency you need to operate on.

My vote goes to Motorola.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by FLFD138 View Post
    Ive been a volunteer fire fighter for about 3 years now and I just moved from NJ to NC & I plan on buying a new 2 way portable radio/scanner and Mic I know Motorola is the best out there but I would like some other opinions on particular Radios/scanners. I would like to go as cheap as possible but good quality!

Thanks
    Fire Fighter Shuler

FF Shuler;

The first thing I believe I would do is to get approval from the chief of the department that you belong to, if you belong to one, before I would go out and spend big bucks for a hand held portable radio or scanner that it capable to receiving the frequencies of the department.

You may find that you may not be authorized to have a radio that can transmit on their frequencies.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

i would get another vertex in a heartbeat if something ever happened to mine

First get permission from your chief or whoever is in charge of you to use a personally owned two-way radio on their frequency.

Motorola definitely not the best out there. Maybe 15 years ago they were the best out there, because they had no competition. Now they have competition and their competitors have them beat in many markets. Kenwood, Vertex, and Icom all make professional, rugged, and in many cases better products. And you don't bay and extra $1,000 each to have the (/\/\) logo on the front. We use Kenwood's 90 series and 180 series radios here exclusively and they kick any comparable Motorola product in the nuts... Literally, I could smash a motorola CDM1250 to pieces with the radio chassis off a Kenwood 90 series mobile. Oh, and when a Kenwood radio breaks, it doesn't have to pass through customs to go to a low budget repair depot in Mexico... which is what Motorola did a few years ago.

As far as scanners go, if you need digital, you're paying $500+. If you don't, save your money.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Do you need a radio for VIPER?

Its coming....

Thread Information