Forum Member

Default Aerial Warning devices

Hello all.

I am looking to find out what the standard is on warning devices for outrigers and the actuall aerial ladder itself. We are trying to bring our unit up to par to be as safe as we can. We wanted to put alarms on the outriggers for when they are moving up or down. But I can't seem to issolate the controls from the ladder. Which means if I did it everytime something was moved the alarms would go off.

Any help would be great

Forum Member

Don't know why you would want an audible warning when the outriggers are moving, the operator is suppose to be able to view the outriggers when operating the controls. There is an audible warning device on our ladders, it comes on when the ladder pto is engaged and the selector switch is on stabilizers. It sounds until there is sufficient ground pressure on the outriggers, whether they are short jacked or not.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3 View Post
    Don't know why you would want an audible warning when the outriggers are moving, the operator is supposed to be able to view the outriggers when operating the controls.
    "NFPA 19.21.4.1.1 An audible alarm, of not less than 87 dBA measured
    at any position the stabilizer can be in, shall sound when
    a stabilizer is moving."

The audible device is designed to warn others on the fire/training ground (which can be distracting) that the outriggers are in motion, just like a backup alarm is designed to warn other people around a truck that it is moving. Watch the guys in Indy who set up the aerials for the FOOLS Party at FDIC. Sometimes a "hey you!" just doesnt work.

Not all older aerials are designed so that the operator can see each outrigger when they are being deployed. Our Mack Aerialscope was that way. Controls were on the drivers side. Newer rigs with with self leveling systems can be that way also.
    Last edited by firepiper1; 10-19-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

the outriggers I get, but an audible warning on the ladder seems a bit extreme. Imagine how annoying it would be to have that going as you are flying the aerial to the roof or a window for rescue. I also imagine it wouldn't help you achieve safer operations, communications is important, the last thing you need is more unnecessary noise.

MembersZone Subscriber

Without knowing the system pressure, it's not possible to specify the part numbers. That being said, you need three different hydraulic switches. The first two are on the extend loop. The first switch turn on at the lowest possible pressure that moves the outrigger. The second turns off at the pressure when the outrigger loads up (loop pressure is high enough to foot the outrigger and unload the vehicle suspension)

The third valve is in the retract loop and turn on any any pressure above system minimum.

All three are series wired. The effect is alarm is sounding only at the intermediate pressure with the outrigger moving.

Use of a small orifice restrictor to limit fluid loss in the event of a switch failure would be a good thing as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    "NFPA 19.21.4.1.1 An audible alarm, of not less than 87 dBA measured
    at any position the stabilizer can be in, shall sound when
    a stabilizer is moving."
    Figured the NFPA was behind that annoying alarm.

Forum Member

Default Outrigger in motion alarm

To help you with adding an outrigger in motion alarm you need to provide more information. Who built the aerial, what model is it, what year was it built.
    I also recomment that you contact the manufacturer, they may already have done this th another unit and amy be albe to provide a complete parts list.

Forum Member

There is an easier way, without tying into the hydraulic system.

If your outriggers and ladder control is done with the same switch (up for ladder, down for outrigger), then you can tie in an alarm on the position of the switch for the outriggers only. When your in ladder mode, the alarm will turn off, when in outrigger mode, it will sound.

Hopefully you have a master switch, that has to be turned on, before you can energize either the ladder or outriggers. If so, then make sure it is off, so you don't drive the others crazy.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Default Duhhh

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    There is an easier way, without tying into the hydraulic system.

If your outriggers and ladder control is done with the same switch (up for ladder, down for outrigger), then you can tie in an alarm on the position of the switch for the outriggers only. When your in ladder mode, the alarm will turn off, when in outrigger mode, it will sound.

Hopefully you have a master switch, that has to be turned on, before you can energize either the ladder or outriggers. If so, then make sure it is off, so you don't drive the others crazy.

FM1
    LMFAO See thats why I come on here I never even thought of that. That will probably work excellent for me. just have to rig up a pressure sensitive switch to the control so that when it's in the rigger postion it's activated.

Firepiper1: Thanks for the info from NFPA I just couldn't find it when I was looking yesterday

Namless: I totally agree an alarm on the ladder it self would be very annoying hense why I was asking what the standard was (if there was one)

Jlcooke3: We want the audibale warning device because the aerial operates at a school and the students aren't always as aware as they should be. No student injuries means no paper work LOL. Our aerial is also fairly old and all the controls are on the drivers side. All you have to see the riggers on the other side is a convex mirror. But again it's more for other peoples saftey

Thanks again to all. I think my problem may be solved just have to gear up the switch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MColley View Post
    Thanks again to all. I think my problem may be solved just have to gear up the switch.
    You could just have the rookie make the beeping noise...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    You could just have the rookie make the beeping noise...
    This is the best idea yet! LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MColley
    LMFAO See thats why I come on here I never even thought of that. That will probably work excellent for me. just have to rig up a pressure sensitive switch to the control so that when it's in the rigger position it's activated.
    Actually, you don't even need to do that.

Just get an alarm of your choice, mount and ground it to the frame, and tie in the hot wire to the side of the switch that is hot, when your in outrigger mode.

Can't be any easier than that.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Actually, you don't even need to do that.

Just get an alarm of your choice, mount and ground it to the frame, and tie in the hot wire to the side of the switch that is hot, when your in outrigger mode.

Can't be any easier than that.

FM1
    Actually Because of the way the system is set up. I have to use switch. because all the throtle's are linked together. If I don't put the switch in then everytime you hit a throtle the alarms would sound. I need to be able to brake the link so it just sound with the outriggers.

But in saying that I had the siwtch here and have the issue resolved. I put the switch in and have it working now.

Thanks again for all the help from everybody.

Thread Information