Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting IFSAC, Pro Board or DOD Firefighter Level 1 and Level 2 Certification

I have my fire 1 and 2, and hazmat ops and awareness, but im not exactally sure on how to make them IFSAC, Pro Board or DOD Firefighter Level 1 and Level 2 Certification or if they are already that certification. I got my certs in florida if that makes any difference, or how do i check if they are or are not. Im really interested in the contract firefighting and any answers to this will be a big help

MembersZone Subscriber

hey man i'm in florida too and i'm wondering how to get the hazmat class. where did you do yours? i'm living in miami

MembersZone Subscriber

Default For those not having Pro board or IFSAC

Brothers,

It sad to say, but its the truth. If you are not in an IFSAC, or Proboard state, your certifications will not transfer over to DOD.

I see this same question over and over and over and over..............

The requirement for all the overseas contracts require you to have DOD Certifications. This is because its a US Government Contract. I know the Florida and California Certifications are just as good, but they will not transfer, just like the IFSAC, Proboard, and DOD Certifications do not transfer to Florida or California.

There is no challenge test, or easy solution, if your state didn't offer the certifications the only way is to go out of state and get them, but you need so many it is not worth your time or effort to do it.

So unless you have Proboard, IFSAC , or DOD Certifications in Fire Fighter 1&2, Hazmat Awareness & Operations, at the bare minimum.

And since the bases are shutting down and centralizing, you will also need ARFF, ARFF Driver Operator, Mobile Water Supply, Driver operator, for future jobs.

This is alot of certifications if you are not in a State that awards them.

In Addition, there is no fire in Iraq or Afghanistan. You might have 1 small electrical fire, or possible something more, but do not expect to get any experience here. So if you do not have at least 3-5 years of real firefighting experience, then do everyone a favor and do not apply.

There is no room for the inexperienced in these jobs.

Other then Iraq , most other fire contracts all over the world will not have a program to get you additional certifications. So if you opt to go to those contracts with the bare minimum certifications, you will not get any additional ones to help you promote or progress.

These contracts are intended for midlevel people who have put in the time to get their experience and certifications, not for the newby.

Sorry to sound harsh, but do the time first, then look at these opportunities

Also

MembersZone Subscriber

I was in your same boat a few years ago. I come from a state that did not have IFSAC or PRO-BOARD, and I wanted to head to Iraq.
    There ARE challenge tests to get those certs, but you will have to go out of state. I challenged for mine through Bucks County Community College in PA. Essentially you take the final written and practical tests all over again, if you pass, you leave with certs in hand.
    THC is right about the contracts being scaled back over there though, so good luck if that's what you're trying for!

Forum Member

Default Ifsac/proboard

yup I did the same thing I went to Bucks county and did mine there got everything FF1 and FF2 HAZMAT ops. and awaress. I did mine in a weekend and my certs where mailed to me a couple days later. they was pple from all over the palce there. Its a great place and some GREAT intructors. If you wnt ours go there best palce to do it at.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well when i got my state cert, i was mailed the application to also get the PRO Board so i guess FL is one of the few that allows a transfer.

Forum Member

So how do I convert my IFSAC seals to DOD?

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to be employed by a company such as WSI or KBR that can transfer your certs over for you. I do not think you can do that on your own. WSI did mine when I was hired.

Default Pro Board

Please see the following link. You can transfer the following FL certs to Pro Board by simply submitted an application to do so:

http://www.theproboard.org/Agencies/Florida.htm

Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training

Accredited August 27, 1999 for Firefighter.

Accredited January 24, 2001 for Fire Officer, Inspector, Public Fire and Life Safety Educator and Fire Instructor.

Florida certifications prior to these respective dates are not eligible for Pro Board certification.

NFPA Standard No.
    Levels to which Agency is Accredited

Firefighter 1001 Firefighter I, I/II
    Rescue Technician 1006 Rope I & II, Vehicle & Machinery I & II, Confined Space I & II, Structural Collapse I, Trench I & II
    Fire Officer 1021 Fire Officer I, II & I/II
    Fire Inspector 1031 Fire Inspector I, II & I/II, Plan Examiner I
    Public Fire & Life Safety Educator 1035 Educator I, II & I/II
    Fire Instructor 1041 Fire Instructor I, II
    Haz Mat 472 Awareness, Operational

Henry Sheffield - Standards Supervisor
    Bureau of Fire Standards and Training: Division of Florida State Fire Marshal
    11655 NW Gainesville Rd.
    Ocala. FL 34482-1486
    Telephone: 352.369.2856
    Email:
    Website

Thread Information