Thread: sad story

Forum Member

I dealt with a similar situation about 20 years ago. We couldn't get to 2 kids in time. As I was carrying the body of a three year old girl to an ambulance, the grandmother asked me if I had found her money on the kitchen counter. I could only continue to walk past her.

She didn't even look at the child. She didn't show any emotion towards the kids. I was hoping she was in denial or shock, or maybe even not grasping reality.

After the follow-up investigation, she was charged with second degree manslaughter. She had left the kids unattended and had gone to a next door neighbors to visit. She stated that she forgot she had left a deep fryer full of taters going. I attended the trial. I felt pretty sick when I saw her smile about leaving the deep fryer on. The jury didn't miss it either; 2 years, but suspended with a $1000 fine. Pretty cheap for a couple of kids.

Yea, we found the money... it was a little burnt and crisp... but not as much as her grandchildren.

Some days I just have to wonder...

Sorry, just reflecting back to another disgusting human events story. Pardon me while I go take a shower.

Forum Member

We actually had a similar situation here in Memphis a few years ago...Mom locked her kids (7 and 9 years old I think) in her apt while she went out partying on New Years Eve. They both died. The mom was charged with criminally negligent homicide.

I don't think they have filed any charges in this case yet. Child Services has it. They may be waiting to see how the two year old does. Who knows. I will post it when they do something.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    2 Year Old and 3 year old left home alone. An excellent case of why we need to educate those on welfare and make them become more responsible for their actions. I partially blame our liberal social programs for people like this.
    Oh yeah that's right liberals told her it was alright fo rher to leave her to infants home alone. My mistake. I thought it was stupidity that breeds stupidity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I care more about the Brother Firefighters that had to suffer the pain of removing those 2 children that I do about the theatrical screams of the mother and the idiotic aunt. I hope the Borthers get the help and support they need.

AMEN!!! They are in my prayers.

Thanks Fyredup for this point.

Forum Member

Unhappy

People never fail to amaze me with their concerns over property, cash, or whatever but when it comes to family members they seem to care less. Its a sad world we live in when people are more concerned about a purse and food stamps and not the loss of a loved one.

Forum Member

Yep, we had a fatal car/motorcycle accident about 6 weeks ago. Woman on a cell phone plowed into the back of the bike which was almost stopped to turn into a driveway. We worked the biker but mainly because his brother was standing there and had witnessed the wreck. I had a hell of a time getting any information from her for the report and patient refusal because she was on the same cellphone arguing with her insurance company about getting a rental car. Absolutely not one ounce of remorse.

Forum Member

Angry

This just makes me sick. What would cause these people to have their heads planted so far up their butt to even phathom such a thing as leaving a 2 and 3 year old home alone?!?!?!?! I can't even begin to imagine what kind of person would do that as I don't even like leaving my kids in the house alone just long enough to check on the grill cooking dinner, and they are 8, 11, and 12.
    Bill Davis
    West Harrison Fire Dept
    2009 Rookie of the Year
    www.westharrisonfire.com
    IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Memphis

my kids (teenagers now) have and will always be my most precious possession. Others dont have that viewpoint - some will say it is isolated, others will say it is the gene pool, but I think it has a lot to do with society today - too much hype about partying and socializing, not enough hype about responsibility and duty AND DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH PUNISHMENT TO FIT THE CRIME...(See previous posts in this thread about similar events and the ridiculous sentences)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy05 View Post
    Oh yeah that's right liberals told her it was alright fo rher to leave her to infants home alone. My mistake. I thought it was stupidity that breeds stupidity.
    Not so much the liberals, but the class of people these programs have developed. They have learned they don't have to be responsible for anything and get away with it. Our social programs sent them down the slippery slope of failure.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Not so much the liberals, but the class of people these programs have developed. They have learned they don't have to be responsible for anything and get away with it. Our social programs sent them down the slippery slope of failure.
    Personal responsibility can't be abdicated regardless of your financial status. To blame the welfare programs for a blatant breach in the norm of human caring is, in my opinion, an over simplification of the problem. The problem is not financial, it is moral, look at those that act irresponsibly. In most cases it is either the poor or the uber rich. How would you explain the similar behavior from the rich?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Look you can't change people who don't care about anything but theirself. I always use stories like this to teach my children how not to act in life. You should see the look on their faces sometimes when I tell them these things, they say I can't beleve that there are people like that in the world. It's a shame. And it's always the kids who suffer, I would fight to the death to defend my children from anything as would my wife..... as would anyone on here when it comes to that . But not all kids are as luckey as ours. It angers me and its sad

Forum Member

Angry Unbelievable

I can't believe her attitude. I will have to say the reporter did a good job of finishing the interview without slapping the hell out of her. Dont know that I could have done that. Hopefully the Memphis guys understand it was not their fault. I know they did everything humanly possible to save those poor kids.

Forum Member

Angry

Just so everyone knows, the mom and aunt have changed their story three time. They were shopping, or hanging with the dude, or picking a kid up at school. They aren't sorry they just don't wanna go to jail. Kids are just objects in most parts of the city.
    FF/Paramedic

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Personal responsibility can't be abdicated regardless of your financial status. To blame the welfare programs for a blatant breach in the norm of human caring is, in my opinion, an over simplification of the problem. The problem is not financial, it is moral, look at those that act irresponsibly. In most cases it is either the poor or the uber rich. How would you explain the similar behavior from the rich?
    This is all very true. But we have created a system that practically rewards irresponsible behavior. Not getting enough in you monthly check? Have another kid and get more money. Personally, I have always said that make these people get out of bed at 5 am and report to a facility every day. If there is temp work for them send them on it. No work then hang out all day. Don't show up, no freebie for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is all very true. But we have created a system that practically rewards irresponsible behavior.
    So according to your reasoning then Europe (the welfare continent) is being overrun by irresponsible parents who are popping out children left and right to be rewarded even more for their irresponsibility. After all, welfare begets irresponsibility.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not a welfare problem like scarecrow says it's a people problem, the same stupidity happens with the rich snobby kids that think their entitled to everything because mommy and daddy gave everything. Every class has their idiots. I'm not saying the welfare system is perfect, we just need to quit making excuses and start holding people accountable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kolat06 View Post
    It's not a welfare problem like scarecrow says it's a people problem, the same stupidity happens with the rich snobby kids that think their entitled to everything because mommy and daddy gave everything. Every class has their idiots. I'm not saying the welfare system is perfect, we just need to quit making excuses and start holding people accountable.
    Exactly, and the welfare systems encourage irresponsibility. That and generation's of stupidity handed down form one generation to the next.

Forum Member

Exactly, and the welfare systems encourage irresponsibility. That and generation's of stupidity handed down form one generation to the next.
    Really? I can give you one example that blows your theory out of the water.

A man walked out on his wife and two small children, the sold the house out from under them to woman he was having an affair with at the time. The arrogant bastard had the county sheriff serve the eviction notice.

The mother, with her back to the wall, had to ask her parents to move in with them and had to go on public assistance.

As soon as she could, she got a small apartment of her own, and as soon as the youngest child was able to go to school, she sought part time work so she could be home when the kids got out of school. Of course, that cut own her welfare check, but she was proud that she was earning her own money.

As her children got older and could take care of themselves after school, she started working full time and got off welfare for good. She got a job in a hospital, starting out as a nurses aide, then trained to become a ward clerk. She became the senior clerk for the hospital's maternity ward and retired 16 years ago.

Her two children went on to college, with the assistance of grants and paying the rest of their tuitions on their own, began raising familiies of their own, bought homes and put their own children through college

Her daughter is a registered nurse working in the offices of a surgical practice.

Her son is a Deputy Fire Chief in his community.

Thanks Mom... your sacrifices and tenacity got Sandy and I to where we are today!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Really? I can give you one example that blows your theory out of the water.

A man walked out on his wife and two small children, the sold the house out from under them to woman he was having an affair with at the time. The arrogant bastard had the county sheriff serve the eviction notice.

The mother, with her back to the wall, had to ask her parents to move in with them and had to go on public assistance.

As soon as she could, she got a small apartment of her own, and as soon as the youngest child was able to go to school, she sought part time work so she could be home when the kids got out of school. Of course, that cut own her welfare check, but she was proud that she was earning her own money.

As her children got older and could take care of themselves after school, she started working full time and got off welfare for good. She got a job in a hospital, starting out as a nurses aide, then trained to become a ward clerk. She became the senior clerk for the hospital's maternity ward and retired 16 years ago.

Her two children went on to college, with the assistance of grants and paying the rest of their tuitions on their own, began raising familiies of their own, bought homes and put their own children through college

Her daughter is a registered nurse working in the offices of a surgical practice.

Her son is a Deputy Fire Chief in his community.

Thanks Mom... your sacrifices and tenacity got Sandy and I to where we are today!
    That is the people the system is supposed to help. Rarely does it. Go to your local DSS office and ask the people who work there. They will tell you it is the same people all the time and that many of them are second, third, and fourth generation. Your mother-in-law was not the typical recipient and did not come from that environment. She it was to be temporary and that you didn't live off the system.

You will always have the one off's and the anomalies, which makes me cringe every time one of these idiot politicians parades people like Joe the plumber out on stage.We are seeing a host of people who have been treated unfairly by insurance companies lately. And if you go over to FOX or the conservative side of things you will see people mistreated by medicare, medicaid, and the VA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    So according to your reasoning then Europe (the welfare continent) is being overrun by irresponsible parents who are popping out children left and right to be rewarded even more for their irresponsibility. After all, welfare begets irresponsibility.
    Markus, Unfortunately thats a very true statement in at least some of the countries. France and Britain spring instatly to mind, followed by Holland and Denmark. Look at the riots in France and the UK the last few years, do a little digging and find out where they happen. You may or may not find it interesting. As far as I am concerned, the only thing worse than our welfare system is the reservation policies used against and for the Native Americans.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Markus, Unfortunately thats a very true statement in at least some of the countries. France and Britain spring instatly to mind, followed by Holland and Denmark. Look at the riots in France and the UK the last few years, do a little digging and find out where they happen. You may or may not find it interesting. As far as I am concerned, the only thing worse than our welfare system is the reservation policies used against and for the Native Americans.
    Europe as a whole has an almost non-existing birth rate. Pretty impressive for a continent that rewards popping out babies in an irresponsible fashion.

The riots in France have a large and storied history, they are not exactly rooted in welfare IMO.

Personally I feet that we could take a lesson from the French riots. France is a government more afraid of it's people, instead of a people more afraid of it's government. I think it's helpful for a government to realize where it's power is coming from.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Europe as a whole has an almost non-existing birth rate. Pretty impressive for a continent that rewards popping out babies in an irresponsible fashion.

The riots in France have a large and storied history, they are not exactly rooted in welfare IMO.

Personally I feet that we could take a lesson from the French riots. France is a government more afraid of it's people, instead of a people more afraid of it's government. I think it's helpful for a government to realize where it's power is coming from.
    I don't think that is what you meant. A near zero birth rate would mean there are very few births. We know that isn't the case. Of course, if that is the truth then I can see how health costs could be lower. Then again, I don't care how they do things in France, Spain, or any other country, I care how we do it.

Forum Member

That is the people the system is supposed to help. Rarely does it.
    Bull****. Chief's story is very similar to mine...and thousands of others.
    Go **** yourself; you're an uninformed idiot of the highest order.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Bull****. Chief's story is very similar to mine...and thousands of others.
    Go **** yourself; you're an uninformed idiot of the highest order.
    I grew up under the German welfare system, and even then my parents worked full time. At age 16 moved to the US with my parents. My father was US military, so I am a citizen by birth but I still identify myself as an immigrant as far as life experiences go. My parents were poor when me moved here, my mom could not work for many years until she finaly got her imigration paperwork straightened out. My dad worked at least 2 jobs at any given time - minimum wage. I hit High School and worked 40 hour weeks (minimum wage again) to help make ends meet. Thanks to Pell Grants and an Oklahoma College Assistance Program (more welfare) I was the first person in our household to go to college. My dad worked his way from entry level worker at a factory for minimum pay to managing the warehouse.

My family grew up in the welfare state, and they were able to bootsrap their way out of it. I am the product of the welfare state, and I am an RN and firefighter. For every person on welfare who has no motivation and drive to make something of themselves you will find a person who grew up in the middle class and has no motivation. If you look in the upper class you will find more people with no motivation.

Heck, we got a freaking President who came out of the welfare system. You might not agree with a single thing he stands for, but he is proof that your theory is crap.

Forum Member

Posted by the brainless strawman
    Your mother-in-law was not the typical recipient and did not come from that environment. She it was to be temporary and that you didn't live off the system.
    Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Come to think of it... stupidity, ignorance and conjecture are your "best" qualities.

That story is about my mom,vmy sister and I.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information