Thread: sad story

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Actually by your own definition, all government workers are useless.
    Don't know which definition you refer to but I would not say all. About 50% could be cut if the other 50% would work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Don't know which definition you refer to but I would not say all. About 50% could be cut if the other 50% would work.
    Please...for the love of God or whatever deity one worships or not...

SHUT UP!!!!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

And if 90% of IT guys would work instead of posting to websites while at work the internet might actually be safe. I am no IT wizard yet I have not had a virus damage my computer in over 2 years. I don't have pop ups or spam attack my computer either.

Who knows why the internet is constantly pounded by viruses, worms, spam, and pop ups? Maybe there is a more sinister motive...Job security?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And if 90% of IT guys would work instead of posting to websites while at work the internet might actually be safe. I am no IT wizard yet I have not had a virus damage my computer in over 2 years. I don't have pop ups or spam attack my computer either.

Who knows why the internet is constantly pounded by viruses, worms, spam, and pop ups? Maybe there is a more sinister motive...Job security?
    Symantec AV stops about 90%, the older ones slip through. Best part is you could be infected and not even know it. They put these things called bots on your computer and a remote guy somewhere else controls the bot.

You will never make "the internet" safe. It gores through numerous countries such that the guy in China can get to your PC with no effort at all. The only thing you can secure is your own system or systems. Sort of like locking the door on your house or business. Most home users pout on some AV/Firewall and walk around with the false sense they are safe. I was at a conference where several teams took 10 well known viruses, modified them, and got them past all of the AV engines. And talk about wireless connections, most home users take them home, plug them in, and walk away. Did a little war driving the other day and found 100's of unsecured wireless access points. And found just as many still using WEP. The criminals are now going after health records simply for the financial and billing information. HIPAA does an extremely poor job of protecting your health information.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Please...for the love of God or whatever deity one worships or not...

SHUT UP!!!!
    OK Dumbo. Its like this, my friend works in a government office building. There are three people all doing the same job with an equal sized case load (Chronic Care Medicare). My friend has her work all done with nothing pending. The other two have cases pending, are way behind, and always off chit chatting and not working. And because it is Government where there is NO Incentive to do better they tolerate it. Someday when you pull your head out of the sand you will realize how messed up this government run social programs are , right from the administrators to the people who abuse the system for generation after generation.

Let's talk fire trucks!

I think I actually laughed out out loud when I read this.

Please follow Gonz's advice above.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

And because it is Government where there is NO Incentive to do better they tolerate it.
    Do you have any proof whatsoever to back this up. You keep on saying that the government has "no incentive" to improve, but where is your proof.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

OK Dumbo. Its like this, my friend works in a government office building. There are three people all doing the same job with an equal sized case load (Chronic Care Medicare). My friend has her work all done with nothing pending. The other two have cases pending, are way behind, and always off chit chatting and not working. And because it is Government where there is NO Incentive to do better they tolerate it. Someday when you pull your head out of the sand you will realize how messed up this government run social programs are , right from the administrators to the people who abuse the system for generation after generation.

You first cited two "friends" who work in a welfare office, now it is a "friend" who works processing Medicare claims.

All three are "government workers" whom you despise anyways.

Either your evidence is 100% anecdotal, or you are a lying sack of excremental matter.

Intelligent people will vote for the second option. Anyone with me on this?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

Do you have any proof whatsoever to back this up. You keep on saying that the government has "no incentive" to improve, but where is your proof.
    The PROOF???!!! You are kidding right??? They get their budgets and their money regardless of performance. Their paycheck has nothing to do with how well the organization performs. I worked for a government agency and witnessed this first hand. There were incompetent workers who couldn't do the job in our IT department getting bonuses and step increases. They were allowed to skate along. I had a team leader (who is supposed to know more that is why he is team leader) who was clueless. He was supposed to help manage the network and network devices. He couldn't even tell you hot to connect to the devices to manage them. In fact rather than try to make operations more efficient and less costly they preferred to build their empires thus justifying a larger pay check and a higher position. We had two PC technicians making $70,000 a year (on the outside they would make about $25K), they didn't know the job, relied on others to do the work, and often went out to fix things as a pair. Imagine, a $140,000 a year PC technician who can't do the job.

But ask this. What incentive do government agencies have to cut costs?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    You first cited two "friends" who work in a welfare office, now it is a "friend" who works processing Medicare claims.

All three are "government workers" whom you despise anyways.

Either your evidence is 100% anecdotal, or you are a lying sack of excremental matter.

Intelligent people will vote for the second option. Anyone with me on this?
    You make two many assumptions are are trying way too hard to find fault. Two friends working in two different areas. One is in chronic care with tree other workers. The other works in medicaid with the under 65 crowd. Her entire function is to try to get people in one of the 23 health care programs that currently exist. That is how screwed up government is. It so confusing and such a mess they have to dedicate people to just doing the health programs. It should be this is your income, here are your programs and benefits, good day. My friend who works chronic care is always telling me about case workers who sit on cases for the 45 days they get and then process them. I don't want these inept individuals who work in a system that tolerates laziness processing my health care stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I think I actually laughed out out loud when I read this.

Please follow Gonz's advice above.
    Apparently you have never worked for the government. That or you don't know what real work is.

MembersZone Subscriber

The PROOF???!!! You are kidding right??? They get their budgets and their money regardless of performance. Their paycheck has nothing to do with how well the organization performs. I worked for a government agency and witnessed this first hand. There were incompetent workers who couldn't do the job in our IT department getting bonuses and step increases. They were allowed to skate along. I had a team leader (who is supposed to know more that is why he is team leader) who was clueless. He was supposed to help manage the network and network devices. He couldn't even tell you hot to connect to the devices to manage them. In fact rather than try to make operations more efficient and less costly they preferred to build their empires thus justifying a larger pay check and a higher position. We had two PC technicians making $70,000 a year (on the outside they would make about $25K), they didn't know the job, relied on others to do the work, and often went out to fix things as a pair. Imagine, a $140,000 a year PC technician who can't do the job.
    So because your job (that you quit) had problems, the entire Government has the same problems? Personally I think that if you could make $140,000 for doing nothing, you would still be there.

But ask this. What incentive do government agencies have to cut costs?
    Some places pay bonuses based on efficiency. Run a leaner department, get a better check. Everyone of my evaluations is based on actual performance, I have to show research and application of evidenced based care on a department wide level. All our performance markers (ask DaSharkie and he can tell you how many performance markers an ED has) get compared to every private hospital in our area. The legislature who send us our budget is constantly watching us like a hawk.

Maybe you just had a crappy job, but where I work we are very focused on performance, evidence based practice, research and improvement of current practice, and cutting costs.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned

So because your job (that you quit) had problems, the entire Government has the same problems? Personally I think that if you could make $140,000 for doing nothing, you would still be there.

Some places pay bonuses based on efficiency. Run a leaner department, get a better check. Everyone of my evaluations is based on actual performance, I have to show research and application of evidenced based care on a department wide level. All our performance markers (ask DaSharkie and he can tell you how many performance markers an ED has) get compared to every private hospital in our area. The legislature who send us our budget is constantly watching us like a hawk.

Maybe you just had a crappy job, but where I work we are very focused on performance, evidence based practice, research and improvement of current practice, and cutting costs.
    I wasn't getting the $140,000 that was the sum of two useless PC techs. You are on the nuts and bolts ends of things. Go check out the administrative stuff. Look at your procurement staff. Not all governmetn is run that efficiently, many government entities are top heavy with admin staff and CZARS!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

CZARS!!!!!

The whole czar thing has been a non-issue for over a month now.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Uhhh............

The whole czar thing has been a non-issue for over a month now.

Wasn't that Cezar guy the one that got in trouble with Brutus in Rome??....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Well.............

After much time spent in Researching this situation, I have determined that 50% are Below Average, while the other 50% are Above Average........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    After much time spent in Researching this situation, I have determined that 50% are Below Average, while the other 50% are Above Average........
    Harve, according to your math that equals 100%. That means there is no more room for anyone to actually be average

MembersZone Subscriber

Symantec AV stops about 90%, the older ones slip through. Best part is you could be infected and not even know it. They put these things called bots on your computer and a remote guy somewhere else controls the bot.

You will never make "the internet" safe. It gores through numerous countries such that the guy in China can get to your PC with no effort at all. The only thing you can secure is your own system or systems. Sort of like locking the door on your house or business. Most home users pout on some AV/Firewall and walk around with the false sense they are safe. I was at a conference where several teams took 10 well known viruses, modified them, and got them past all of the AV engines. And talk about wireless connections, most home users take them home, plug them in, and walk away. Did a little war driving the other day and found 100's of unsecured wireless access points. And found just as many still using WEP. The criminals are now going after health records simply for the financial and billing information. HIPAA does an extremely poor job of protecting your health information.

Holy f'ing ****.

You really are the idiot everyone claims you to be. I worked IT for a few years and to even MENTION anything symantec or norton will get laugh right in your face by anyone worth their salt. Yes, drive around, there is 100's of FREE WIFI ACESS POINTS IN 100's OF BUSINESSES in a square mile. Hell, you could pass a Wendy's and pick up 10 of theirs. Please, quit posting, and for the love of god please quit IT. You are about as informed on the basic workings of it as the little old ladies who would call asking "where is the 'any' key? It says press any key to continue but I don't see it"

The only difference is they actually wanted to learn as opposed to sitting on a throne of ignorance.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

I worked for the government for five years with the forest service. We weeded out the bad eggs. We took the initiative too IMPROVE and we didn't just sit around and chit chat. only 25,000 a year for people who work in IT? what are you smoking? I have cousins with four year degrees in IT and they definitely make more than 25,000 a year. You obviously don't know what your talking about, or you really suck at your job. It's probably both.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kolat06 View Post
    I worked for the government for five years with the forest service. We weeded out the bad eggs. We took the initiative too IMPROVE and we didn't just sit around and chit chat. only 25,000 a year for people who work in IT? what are you smoking? I have cousins with four year degrees in IT and they definitely make more than 25,000 a year. You obviously don't know what your talking about, or you really suck at your job. It's probably both.
    I have to agree. Putting out signs on telephone post for "computa broke? call me!" isn't IT. You're more of a guy who has a basic understanding of a computer from the 'free' dvds you can get off the television and in turn downloads free 'spyware and spam killing norton antivirus'. Which later on would end up in my hands because norton has never stopped a single virus in it's existence. You're buying a name with great advertising. Where did you first hear about norton? OH YEAH, when it came free on your dell.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kolat06 View Post
    Those are your basic fix the PC guys. System admins, network admins, programmers, get far more.

Forum Member

Red face

Whew!!!! Gone from the attitude of the aunt of those poor kids to how much a programmer makes in only 5 pages! Makes my head spin.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by txchf1 View Post
    Whew!!!! Gone from the attitude of the aunt of those poor kids to how much a programmer makes in only 5 pages! Makes my head spin.

im not surprised

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by led219 View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...eeb5d9c7ca42c7

can you believe what the aunt says at the end?
    Wow. That's, bad to say the least. Hey anyone in Memphis? How about for the next structure fire, throw her in and leave.

Forum Member

From News Channel 5's website:

The mother of two children who died after they were left alone in a house
    that caught fire has been indicted, Action News 5 has learned.

Melanie Dunn has been charged with two counts of reckless homicide and two
    counts of child neglect in the death of LaDareon Dunn, 3, and his brother
    Catereon, 2. Both were trapped inside after fire broke out in their
    Effie Road duplex on October 19th.

Authorities arrived to rescue the two small children after the fire broke
    out, but it was too late. LaDareon died moments after arriving at the
    hospital, while Catereon lost his life several days later in the intensive
    care unit.

Lori Brown will have the latest on this story tonight on Action News 5 at
    10pm.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information