Default Paid-on-Call and Full Time non FF Work

Does anyone have any knowledge of any employment law issues surrounding employment as a paid-on-call firefighter and your normal day job?

For example are there laws that would restrict your full time employer from firing you for your paid-on-call involvement? For example if they felt it was interfering with your normal job duties for some reason.

I suppose that it varies by state but any thoughts are appreciated.

Forum Member

Topics similar to this have been beaten to death in here before. That being said, without knowing specifics, I would think that a full-time employer has every right in the world to terminate the employee if his/her part-time work was interfering with his/her obligations/responsibilities to the F/T employer, no matter what the part time employment (hot dog man at the ball park, part time security guard at the mall, part time burger flipper at Mcdonalds....Doesnt matter....)

The only thing that they can not do, by Federal Law, is persecute you for being actively engaged as a member of the National Guard or Reserves.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Topics similar to this have been beaten to death in here before. That being said, without knowing specifics, I would think that a full-time employer has every right in the world to terminate the employee if his/her part-time work was interfering with his/her obligations/responsibilities to the F/T employer, no matter what the part time employment (hot dog man at the ball park, part time security guard at the mall, part time burger flipper at Mcdonalds....Doesnt matter....)

The only thing that they can not do, by Federal Law, is persecute you for being actively engaged as a member of the National Guard or Reserves.
    I'm not sure if it's specifically a PA law, but responses to emergency incidents as a volunteer is protected also. Not sure how POC are treated since they essentially operate the same way as volunteer departments, but pay the responders for the call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's specifically a PA law, but responses to emergency incidents as a volunteer is protected also. Not sure how POC are treated since they essentially operate the same way as volunteer departments, but pay the responders for the call.
    Thats why I said "Without knowing the specifics."

In Pennsylvania, an employer may not discipline a member of a recognized volunteer organization if they are late to work due to an emergency. The employer does not have to pay the employee for time lost. The employer may however, charge the employee personal time for the time he/she missed.

The employer is not, under any circumstances, obligated to allow the employee to leave work for an emergency, nor does the employer have to pay the employee for time if the employer allows the employee to leave for an emergency. The employer may elect to charge the employee personal time for the time lost.

I do not know what if any laws are established in Pennsylvania for Paid-On-Call members. Seems to me that there are probably none, as they are receiving compensation for their activities.

If Vince, or someone he knows got fired from a full-time job due to activities from a part-time job (whether as a firefighter or as a rodeo clown) seems to me that they might have gotten carried away one too many times and probably deserved to get fired, *from an employer standpoint.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Massachusetts has a law that states that a member of a volunteer or call member of a fire dept. can not be terminated for arriving late to work because of a call or incident. Also the employer has no obligation to pay you for the time missed.

People I have worked with in the past have generally made arrangements ahead of time with their employers so that did not run into any issues.

Thread Information