Default drug use and being hired

hello everyone, im new to these forums and i just have a question. ive been smoking weed for 4 months now, mainly because ive been depressed. im majoring in fire science and i just started taking classes. when i go to try and apply for a job in 2-3 years will this effect me from being hired? should i just switch majors. i'm really passionate about this and i hope it doesnt ruin me. i'm quitting by the way.

Forum Member

Do you think you'll get hired anywhere at any job smoking weed? Our sanitation workers have to take drug screens.

Forum Member

Was listening to the radio while exercising yesterday. They had a 'decriminalize marijuana' caller on the line. Objects to the stuff being called dope. Had all kinds of statistics and facts backing him up. When questioned about other issues he seemed lost. Funny how that seems to be the norm with those objecting to public terminology of grass. They know a lot about the stuff, but not about other issues of the day.

My advice is find out which is more important to you. The '70's culture of acceptance of weed in society was disproved. It was actually bad for you overall. Your occupation, family, and social standing will go out the window if you get on your soapbox about defending the pot smoking lifestyle. The majority of those who came before you and feel the same as you are still sitting on the couch watching tv right now. They couldn't even save themselves so how could they expect to save anyone else.

Grow some balls and drink water instead before its too late.

MembersZone Subscriber

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

It's okay, you will be able to smoke on the job.

We had a grass fire that got behind some old farmer's barn. It smelled pretty funky back there once his crops caught on fire. We are still mad that chief made us mask up...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Default New Guy, but old enough to share a lesson or two...

OP, whether or not you could skirt a system and get hired despite taking drugs in the past or present, you need to realize that smoking weed will only add to your depression. AND... it makes for bad retention and study habits.

Cut it out man, be better then that.

Leroy

MembersZone Subscriber

Obvious troll is obvious.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    I was thinking the same thing after I responded. Hook, line and sinker for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I was thinking the same thing after I responded. Hook, line and sinker for me.

Just be cool guys, be cool......take a hit.......pass it on

Hmmmmmmmm..Ö.................jellybeans

Forum Member

when you go to the interview, make sure you have enough weed for everyone. you want them to see you are a team player.

Forum Member

Wink Pass the Cheetos

I agree with nameless. Make sure you have enough to go around. Look like a team player. I would also suggest you take your own smokeless ashtray. There are still some people that believe second hand smoke is dangerous. Proves you are aware of safety issues. Make sure your lighter looks like a lighter not anything else. Most states have laws against novelty lighters now. Proves you are law abiding. With those three character traits displayed during the interview process I can't see how you could not be hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

The first thing you need to do is take a class on how to write a sentence. How you have made it this far in college is beyond me. If you are going to try and find a job while still doing dope all I can say is good luck duck.

Now that I have said that, here is what I really think. What the hell are you thinking? Are you trying to be dumb or what? Get a clue. Drug use is illegal. If you canít get through college without drugs, how in the world do you thing you can get through the stress of being on a fire department?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't want to sound like some old guy, but it sounds like you need to be lectured. Stop now and never pick it up again. It is illegal, it isn't good for your health, it is illegal. Even if it is legalized you won't be able to use it.
    You can't have beer in your system, so you won't be able to have any other drug in your system, and pot stays in your system long after it has any effect on you.
    Go somewhere clean up, and stay clean, this isn't Rescue Me or Backdraft you need to be better then the average joe, because people's lives will be in your hands.
    You may have already blown it, today is the day to try and turn your life around. If you have any intention of being in the fireservice, do it today.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by liftstrong101 View Post
    should i just switch majors.
    I recommend liberal arts.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I recommend liberal arts.
    I always wondered if there are conservative arts, spend your time drawing pictures for Fox News

Forum Member

How will you answer this question on the application?

Have you ever used illegal or controlled drugs or substances?

If Yes, Explain: __________________________________

You might want to quit using long before you apply. Then right before you apply, shave every hair on your body to baby butt smooth.

Each agency has their drug screening policy, some test hair folicals.

It may not eliminate you altogether if you tell the truth, but it sure won't help you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    How will you answer this question on the application?

Have you ever used illegal or controlled drugs or substances?

If Yes, Explain: __________________________________

You might want to quit using long before you apply. Then right before you apply, shave every hair on your body to baby butt smooth.

Each agency has their drug screening policy, some test hair folicals.

It may not eliminate you altogether if you tell the truth, but it sure won't help you.

Also remove all your finger and toenails, eye lashes, eyebrows, basically every follicle of hair because they can be tested.

Then explain why you'd make a very level headed firefighter.

Then go back to your job delivering pizzas and trolling forums.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

tajm611: Glad you caught what I overlooked.

The point has been made. I've never seen anyone remove all of their hair.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never seen anyone remove all of their hair.
    We must not be watching the same movies or reading the same magazines....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    We must not be watching the same movies or reading the same magazines....
    Guess not. I try to watch old westerns. They mostly had full heads of hair back then.

I did work with a firefighter in the seventies that had lost every hair on his body due to an accident in the military. He never told us exactly what happened. He looked... well... Let's just say he was ahead of his time.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did work with a firefighter in the seventies that had lost every hair on his body due to an accident in the military. He never told us exactly what happened.
    Wow, very interesting. First thing that would come to mind would be some sort of burn injury, but I would guess that there would be some significant scars to go along with that.

Forum Member

No it wasn't burns, not like we think of. I always wondered if it was due to radiation or chemicals. He didn't have any burn scars. He was in the Navy, if memory serves me right.

Back on topic... he didn't shave it off to get in the Fire Service.

MembersZone Subscriber

No it wasn't burns, not like we think of. I always wondered if it was due to radiation or chemicals. He didn't have any burn scars. He was in the Navy, if memory serves me right.
    I figured you would have mentioned burn scars if he had them. Ineresting, I might pick the brains of my docs if we have some downtime in the ER tonight.

Back on topic... he didn't shave it off to get in the Fire Service.
    Maybe he got rid of it to make sure he got an honorable discharge

MembersZone Subscriber

Guess not. I try to watch old westerns. They mostly had full heads of hair back then.

I did work with a firefighter in the seventies that had lost every hair on his body due to an accident in the military. He never told us exactly what happened. He looked... well... Let's just say he was ahead of his time.
    I'm having a Senior moment here. Who was the bald guy with Ernest Borgnine and Charles Bronson et al in the original " Magnificent Seven"?

Yes I know, totally off topic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Was listening to the radio while exercising yesterday. They had a 'decriminalize marijuana' caller on the line. Objects to the stuff being called dope. Had all kinds of statistics and facts backing him up. When questioned about other issues he seemed lost. Funny how that seems to be the norm with those objecting to public terminology of grass. They know a lot about the stuff, but not about other issues of the day.

My advice is find out which is more important to you. The '70's culture of acceptance of weed in society was disproved. It was actually bad for you overall. Your occupation, family, and social standing will go out the window if you get on your soapbox about defending the pot smoking lifestyle. The majority of those who came before you and feel the same as you are still sitting on the couch watching tv right now. They couldn't even save themselves so how could they expect to save anyone else.

Grow some balls and drink water instead before its too late.
    I am also for decriminalization of marijuana, or, even better, legalization and regulation of marijuana.

Just because one bonehead on the radio was trying to make a statement doesn't mean every person that uses marijuana is a low-life, unintelligent, couch potato.

There are various groups of people that have used or are currently using marijuana. I won't bore you with lists of well-known celebrities, scientists, and other famous people that use them, but it's out there.

Also, that's a large erroneous stereotype that all people that smoke marijuana marinade in their couches. It heavily depends on the user, their tolerance, and what their current objectives are. Would I commend a user for smoking a bowl then going to a working structure fire? Absolutely not. I'd feel the same way if someone just downed a few shots. You need to use it responsibly.

As for statistics - no one has ever overdosed from using marijuana. It's much less dangerous than alcohol, and there's also no current direct correlation between lung cancer and marijuana smoke. Hell, marijuana is even being used as a natural medicine. Go figure, something that's not synthetic and medicinally helps heal people. It's also recommended by doctors - you know, those people that went through college for medicinal purposes, knows the specifics of the anatomy, may complete independent research regarding the effects of marijuana on the human anatomy, ect.

All in all, I say it's all about responsibility. But when it comes to calling people stupid and so on for using it... That's just close-minded and extremely pompous.

Thread Information