MembersZone Subscriber

Default South Carolina fire job

Im a 19 year old college student in Wisconsin working on my Associates fire science degree, and have been on a volunteer fire department for almost a year. I am hoping to get a job in South Carolina as soon as i finish my degree and by that time i will have 2 years volunteer experience. I am a nationally certified EMT-b and am working on the EMT-I certification now. By the time I finish the degree i will have FF1, FF2, Driver opperator, Hazmat Tech., Investigation, Tech. rescue,and incident management. I am just wonding how competitive the fire career is in South Carolina and were a good place to start off will be? Thanks.

Forum Member

I would suggest contacting the departments you are interested in. I'm not sure how competitive it is since I'm volunteer. I'll list some of the larger paid departments below.

Greenville
    Charleston
    Myrtle Beach
    Columbia
    Greer
    Spartanburg
    North Myrtle Beach
    Rock Hill
    Florence
    South Greenville
    Boiling Springs (Greenville County)
    Anderson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCFirefighter29 View Post
    I would suggest contacting the departments you are interested in. I'm not sure how competitive it is since I'm volunteer. I'll list some of the larger paid departments below.

Greenville
    Charleston
    Myrtle Beach
    Columbia
    Greer
    Spartanburg
    North Myrtle Beach
    Rock Hill
    Florence
    South Greenville
    Boiling Springs (Greenville County)
    Anderson
    Don't forget one of the largest and busiest in the state:
    http://www.horrycountyfirerescue.com/

Over 500 total firefighters (vol and career) with more than 300 career personnel and 40,000+ calls a year.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Just wondering if you guys except certs from other states(Florida) and do you have to be a resident of state to apply for full time?

Forum Member

South Carolina will accept IFSTA certs. As far as being a resident prior to applying, it would vary by department. I know for a fact that the city of Columbia will allow you to apply without residency. We've just started a recruit class, and with the current fiscal mess the city finds itself in, I'm not sure when the next round of hiring will be, but it is a great department to work for (though Greenville starts you off at higher pay), and one definitely worth applying to (there is a continuous application period).

Good luck.

Forum Member

battlecomedown,

I just requested the ff application for Columbia, how is that area?

Forum Member

Some of the job listings can be found here.

http://www.scfirewire.com/job-listings/

Forum Member

SCFirefighter29,

Thanks for the listings! Do you guys use a civil test or do you test from the essentials book?

Forum Member

Columbia, like any city, has its good and bad sections of town. In the city limits, some decent neighborhoods are Rosewood, Earlewood, Cottontown, and the neighborhoods of the Northeast. It all depends what you're looking for. There's also West Columbia, Cayce, Lexington, Irmo, Forest Acres, and a number of places you can live that are all worth investigating. If you have any questions, shoot me an email at: battlecomedown@gmail.com

Forum Member

Battle,

Thanks man I will defiantly will shot you an email, thanks for your help!! Where abouts are you and are you guys hiring out of state certified FF?

Forum Member

I work for the Columbia Fire Department until Tuesday, which is my last shift. On the 30th, I'll begin training with the Charlotte Fire Department. Their hiring process has closed for 2009, but if they do hold one in 2010, it will probably begin in January with registration for the written test. Charlotte is a great place to live, and the department is easily one of the best in the nation. Also, there are several good communities you could commute from, both in North Carolina and right across the border.

Good luck with the Columbia app. Like any department, it has its problems, but overall it's a great place to work.
    Last edited by battlecomedown; 11-22-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Thread Information