Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default War Time President Parties On

Maybe this is why he doesn't have time to deal with the request for more troops in Afghanistan. Rock On!

CAPITAL CULTURE: Obamas big on White House gigs
    By NANCY BENAC (AP) – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON — Michelle and Barack Obama sat one table over from J. Lo and Marc Anthony, and all four of them were rocking in their seats as Sheila E. shook the house — well, really the tent.

The latest installment of the White House music series was too big for the East Room, so a high-wattage assortment of Latin musicians sent pulsating, can't-help-but-bob-along rhythms tumbling out of a giant tent on the mansion's South Lawn.

As it happens, music of all sorts — rock, jazz, country, classical — has been busting out of the White House all year long.

Presidents have long used the White House as a platform to showcase the best of music and the arts: Chester Arthur staged the first formal East Room concert in the late 1800s.

But the Obamas are demonstrating a commitment to use the White House to promote the arts in a huge way. And they're not just tapping safe, living legends: Fresh faces like bachata band Aventura and Mexican pop sensation Thalia (who lured Obama on to the dance floor briefly) shared a stage with gray eminence Jose Feliciano at last week's Fiesta Latina.

The Obamas' musical push started on Day One, when the Wynton Marsalis Quintet played for a private inaugural celebration party of 100 at the White House.

A month later, the White House brought in Earth, Wind and Fire to entertain visiting governors. And days later, the Obamas hosted an East Room tribute to Stevie Wonder that featured Tony Bennett, Martina McBride and Wonder himself. The president called it "the most accomplished Stevie Wonder cover band in history."

Since then, the lineup has zigzagged all over the musical spectrum.

The first installment of the Obamas' ongoing White House music series was a June day devoted to jazz that included daytime workshops for 150 young musicians and an evening concert headlined by Paquito D'Rivera.

That was when Michelle Obama let it be known she wants her daughters, Malia and Sasha, to be "aware of all kinds of music — other than hip-hop."

In July, self-proclaimed "city boy" Barack Obama presided over an evening of country music that brought together Alison Krauss and Union Station, Brad Paisley and veteran Charley Pride.

Joe Reinstein, the deputy social secretary who coordinates the White House music series, said the Obamas made it clear early on that they wanted to use their new home as a platform for the "best and the brightest that America has to offer." But he said the first couple has taken a hands-off approach when it comes to picking specific genres and artists.

"We knew that they loved jazz, so that was an easy one to start with," says Reinstein, whose musical background is limited to playing in the band as a kid and being an appreciative listener. "Now, we're trying to move through as many genres of music as we can and keep going."

Next up: classical music in November. And beyond that, the White House is exploring events to feature opera, dance and perhaps film.

Reinstein says it's a win-win deal when he calls artists with an invitation to perform at the White House.

"I am so excited to be talking to them, but they're just as excited to get a call from the White House," he said. "I'm giddy; they're giddy."

Some eager artists don't even wait for an invitation. They volunteer.

"My inbox is full of a lot of the talent that America has to offer," says Reinstein.

Past performers say that playing at the White House carries with it a special significance, even if the audience is relatively small.

And because many of the White House musical events are televised — Fiesta Latina, for example, is airing on PBS, Telemundo and V-me — the exposure gets magnified exponentially.

Aventura lead singer Romeo Santos said in an interview that there couldn't have been a better way to launch the group's new U.S. tour, adding that he thought his manager was joking when he said the White House had called.

"It's really powerful," Santos said. "What it does for Latino music is it gives it a mainstream respect."

At an afternoon soundcheck for Fiesta Latina on a sunny day on the back lawn of the White House, Los Lobos singer-songwriter David Hidalgo spoke quietly about the impact of the White House spotlight.

"A lot of times minorities get treated like second-class citizens," he said. "It doesn't feel that way today."

Musicologist Elise Kirk, author of a book about the history of music at the White House, wrote that the groups featured there over the years have "tended to be more conservative than innovative, more reflective than prophetic." But there have been notable exceptions, and plenty of unexpected moments.

Theodore Roosevelt's White House showcased American music, chamber music and the modern French and Russian schools "at a time when these styles were barely recognized in this country," Kirk recounts.

When Carol Feraci performed at the Nixon White House, she shocked the audience by unfurling a blue banner that read "Stop the Killing," as a protest against the war in Vietnam.

The Kennedy administration, in particular, was known for putting a huge focus on the arts.

"My main concern," Jacqueline Kennedy told Kirk, "was to present the best in the arts, not necessarily what was popular at the time."

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Maybe this is why he doesn't have time to deal with the request for more troops in Afghanistan. Rock On!
    I'm glad Bush didn't spend any time at his ranch since we invated two countries.

Honestly, where was this same post everytime Bush did something other than sit in the oval office dealing with the wars. Where was your outrage when he was on vacation. Where was your outrage when he was at the Olympics, where was your outrage when he was hosting a wedding instead of dealing with the wars.

Personally, I agree that Afghanistan needs to get their election figured out before we do anything else there.
    Last edited by MarcusKspn; 10-21-2009 at 06:26 AM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    I'm glad Bush didn't spend any time at his ranch since we invated two countries.
    You're not even good at this. The ranch was set up as a WH satelite, just as virtually every other President has done. Not exactly the same as partying on the East Lawn with Sheila E.

MembersZone Subscriber

You're not even good at this. The ranch was set up as a WH satelite, just as virtually every other President has done. Not exactly the same as partying on the East Lawn with Sheila E.
    I elaborated on my original post after you hit the quote button, it wasn't meant as a sneaky back door trick.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

So Bush pulling weeds at the "WH satelite" makes him more reachable than Obama hanging out on the east lawn of the REAL White House?

So Bush pulling weeds at the "WH satelite" makes him more reachable than Obama hanging out on the east lawn of the REAL White House?
    Now come on Marcus - do you actually think that in this day and age any President, regardless of political party, is out of reach of anybody when away? Video links, satelite phones, Secret Service protection, ability to fly away in Marine One within minutes, daily intelligence breifings, contact with the Cabinet, contact with the JCS, the nuclear "football," or any other thing are within a few buttons or feet of the President. When the President is away from the White House for any length of time (such as this week when POTUS campaigns and stumps in New England) the important and necessary things from the White House travel with them and there is hardly a second that anything changes.

And while the moronic half-wits of the "main-stream media" and whinging Democratic leaders were p!ssing and moaning about the President being away for 2 months, they all knew this to be true. As did most of the American people.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Now come on Marcus - do you actually think that in this day and age any President, regardless of political party, is out of reach of anybody when away? Video links, satelite phones, Secret Service protection, ability to fly away in Marine One within minutes, daily intelligence breifings, contact with the Cabinet, contact with the JCS, the nuclear "football," or any other thing are within a few buttons or feet of the President. When the President is away from the White House for any length of time (such as this week when POTUS campaigns and stumps in New England) the important and necessary things from the White House travel with them and there is hardly a second that anything changes.

And while the moronic half-wits of the "main-stream media" and whinging Democratic leaders were p!ssing and moaning about the President being away for 2 months, they all knew this to be true. As did most of the American people.
    I know. It just feels crazy that people are jumping on this, but didn't say a word when Bush was doing it.

Here is the feeling I'm getting:

ScFire was always crying when Bush was at the ranch, but he would see nothing wrong with this.

George is crying about Obama doing this, but he had no problem when Bush was hanging out at the ranch.

Both don't see their own double standard, or they just don't want to admit it.

It just feels crazy that people are jumping on this
    I believe there are actually very very few people that are jumping on this. In my opinion, it's truly a non-issue.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I know. It just feels crazy that people are jumping on this, but didn't say a word when Bush was doing it.

Here is the feeling I'm getting:

ScFire was always crying when Bush was at the ranch, but he would see nothing wrong with this.

George is crying about Obama doing this, but he had no problem when Bush was hanging out at the ranch.

Both don't see their own double standard, or they just don't want to admit it.
    I'm not "crying" about anything. And it has nothing to do with being out of touch.

It has everything to do with the attitude of a war time Pres. Pres. Bush even gave up golf so as to not appear to disrespect our servicemen and women. Pres. Obama, on the other hand, blatantly ignores them and rocks on.

That's the point.

Forum Member

He's abandoned the troops in Afganistan because the "UN" discovered election irregularities (dang ACRON anyhow). Must get that election cleaned up before look at troop request. Soros apparently hasn't figured out how to make money of trouble in Afganistan.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Soros apparently hasn't figured out how to make money of trouble in Afganistan.
    Haliburton already has the war profiteering market cornered.

Forum Member

I'm not "crying" about anything. And it has nothing to do with being out of touch.

It has everything to do with the attitude of a war time Pres. Pres. Bush even gave up golf so as to not appear to disrespect our servicemen and women. Pres. Obama, on the other hand, blatantly ignores them and rocks on.

That's the point.
    So, should we cancel all social and entertainment events in this country, "so as to not appear to disrespect our servicemen and women" too?

MembersZone Subscriber

Haliburton already has the war profiteering market cornered.
    It's quite unlike you to make ignorant comments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    So, should we cancel all social and entertainment events in this country, "so as to not appear to disrespect our servicemen and women" too?
    I'm sorry. I checked back on my posts and I don't believe I suggested anything of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I believe there are actually very very few people that are jumping on this. In my opinion, it's truly a non-issue.
    Bing-freaking-o!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

It's quite unlike you to make ignorant comments.
    I compare all the conservative additude about ACORN to all the additude the libs had about Haliburton. If people are joking about ACORN, then I can joke about Haliburton.

That's really my point about all these replies. That people are showing a double standard.

Forum Member

I'm sorry. I checked back on my posts and I don't believe I suggested anything of the sort.
    Right, that's my point.

You posted:

"It has everything to do with the attitude of a war time Pres. Pres. Bush even gave up golf so as to not appear to disrespect our servicemen and women. Pres. Obama, on the other hand, blatantly ignores them and rocks on.

That's the point."

President Bush gives up golf to appear "respectful" of the military personnel and you appear to assert that President Obama attending a music concert at the White House is "disrespectful". So, if that's the case, then I was just wondering if we should all stop going to concerts and such, so as to not appear "disrespectful" too?

MembersZone Subscriber

I compare all the conservative additude about ACORN to all the additude the libs had about Haliburton. If people are joking about ACORN, then I can joke about Haliburton.

That's really my point about all these replies. That people are showing a double standard.
    Please stop it. You're better than this.

ACORN is a social on-profit (allegedly) group that exists solely to advance the liberal agenda.

Haliburton is a lwgitimate government contractor.

But you know that.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3p9y_OEAdc

They can all look like fools for enjoying a little recreation now and again. Some are better at it than others.

Not my President, but I agree it sounds like a non-issue.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Right, that's my point.

You posted:

"It has everything to do with the attitude of a war time Pres. Pres. Bush even gave up golf so as to not appear to disrespect our servicemen and women. Pres. Obama, on the other hand, blatantly ignores them and rocks on.

That's the point."

President Bush gives up golf to appear "respectful" of the military personnel and you appear to assert that President Obama attending a music concert at the White House is "disrespectful". So, if that's the case, then I was just wondering if we should all stop going to concerts and such, so as to not appear "disrespectful" too?

You can't be this dumb.

Thread Information